Measuring the gas temperature inside a vessel on the outside of the vessel

In summary, the person is seeking a way to measure the gas temperature of SF6 inside a vessel without being able to insert a temperature probe. One suggestion is to clamp a temperature probe to the outside of the vessel, but this may not give an accurate reading due to factors such as wet conditions and sunlight. Another option is to measure the temperature at multiple places and average them out, but this may not work if the tank is constantly receiving and releasing new gas. It is important to consider the accuracy and application of the temperature measuring method in order to minimize variance in the density calculation.
Sierra1934
Hello,

I got a pratical problem; I want to know the gas temperature of SF6 gas inside a vessel. I can't insert a temperature probe to measure the temp. What i can do is clamp a temp. probe to the ouside of the vessel. Does this gives me a realistic reading, bare in mind the wetter conditions, sun shine ect...? I need the temperature to measure the density of the gas, i do know the gas and pressure.

Thanks in advance

Science news on Phys.org
In equilibrium the temperature of the tank must equal the temperature of the gas - since the gas in contact with the walls will heat or cool to the same temperature.
Dependign on how conductive thewalls are(assume it's a metal tank?) you might have to measure the temperature at a few places and average them. You might also have to remove any paint or coating when you apply the thermometers.

If the tank is a part of a process and new gas is entering and exiting all the time then this won't work as it won't have time to reach equalise.

To do it with that method, you need to look at two things:

1) Define how much variance you can accept in your density calculation. You will already have some due to instrumentation. However, the method of application of the thermocouple and the length of time you average out the temperature readings will all contribute to that variance.

2) You need to pay very particular attention to how the TC or whatever you use, is adhered to the vessel. You can induce quite a bit of error from the junction interface alone.

1. How is the gas temperature inside a vessel measured from the outside?

The gas temperature inside a vessel can be measured using a thermometer or a temperature sensor placed on the outside of the vessel. The temperature reading will provide an approximate measurement of the gas temperature inside.

2. What factors can affect the accuracy of measuring gas temperature from outside the vessel?

The accuracy of measuring gas temperature from outside the vessel can be affected by factors such as the material and thickness of the vessel, the type of insulation used, and the location of the temperature sensor on the vessel's surface.

3. Can the temperature of the vessel itself affect the accuracy of the measurement?

Yes, the temperature of the vessel itself can affect the accuracy of the measurement. If the vessel is heated or cooled, it can influence the temperature reading on the outside, leading to an inaccurate measurement of the gas temperature inside.

4. Is there a preferred location for placing the temperature sensor on the vessel's surface?

The preferred location for placing the temperature sensor on the vessel's surface would be at the center of the vessel's height and equidistant from the sides. This will provide a more representative measurement of the gas temperature inside.

5. Can different methods be used to measure gas temperature inside a vessel on the outside?

Yes, there are various methods that can be used to measure gas temperature inside a vessel on the outside, such as infrared thermometers, thermocouples, and thermal imaging cameras. The choice of method will depend on the specific requirements and accuracy needed for the measurement.