What are some different ways to find the thickness of aluminum foil?

In summary: You could also measure the thickness of the foil by heating it until it becomes pliable and then measuring the distance between the wrinkles.In summary, various methods for finding the thickness of aluminum foil can include measuring the resistance, tensil strength, heat capacity, and magnification.
miss.fabulous

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

I have already calculated it by using the method that requires us to find the volume, given the density, and dividing it by area. So i need new ways to do this same problem.

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

What if you have enough thicknesses to measure?

There are different ways to measure weight and volume, can you think of a few?

There is a more advanced way that you probably wouldn't think of -- go to www.wikipedia.org and search on Skin Depth. See if that gives you any ideas...

Also, "Aluminum Foil" may have a non-aluminum coating on it... you should read a bit about commercial aluminum foil to see if there are any other layers present that may cause your measurements to be less accurate... (maybe get extra credit for figuring that part out...?)

Fold until thick enough to measure accurately. Cut fold edge away with scissors. Measure and divide by number of layers.

You might be able to measure it directly with a micrometer.

Less practically for you, but:

- Beta-ray backscatter
- X-ray fluorescence

If it's a coursework project, you could certainly mention them!

"What are some different ways to find the thickness of aluminum foil?"

Write the manufacturer.

Ask someone in PF to measure it for you.

Bring in some really thin foil off a candy wrapper, and complain about it, until your teacher measures it for you.

Measure it's resistance.

Measure it's tensil strength.

Make an aluminum airplane and compare it's sink velocity to a paper airplane of the same dimensions.

Meaure it's heat capacity.

Transmutate one square inch of it into phosphorus with alpha radiation and weigh the phosphorus.

Make really big balls of it using half a roll of Renolds Wrap, and throw them it at your older brother until he exclaims, "Do you know how much that weighs?" Ask, "No, how much?" Retreat to your room with a worksheet and calculator.

Last edited:
It's so obvious so I assume it's already implicitly expressed elsewhere, but good ol' Archimedes Principle is a good port of call.

You might examine a thin cross-section under a high-powered microscope and calculate the thickness based on the magnification and focal length.

There are several methods that can be used to determine the thickness of aluminum foil:

1. How can I measure the thickness using a ruler?

One way to measure the thickness of aluminum foil is to use a ruler with millimeter measurements. Place the ruler flat against the edge of the foil and measure the distance from one edge to the other. This will give you the thickness of the foil in millimeters.

2. Can I use a micrometer to measure the thickness?

Yes, a micrometer can also be used to measure the thickness of aluminum foil. Place the foil between the two jaws of the micrometer and gently tighten until it is snug. The measurement displayed on the micrometer will be the thickness of the foil in millimeters.

3. Is there a way to calculate the thickness using the density of aluminum?

Yes, the thickness of aluminum foil can be calculated using its density. The equation for this is thickness = mass/density × surface area. Measure the mass and surface area of the foil, and use the density of aluminum (2.7 g/cm³) to calculate the thickness in centimeters.

4. Can I use a laser or ultrasonic thickness gauge to measure the thickness?

Yes, both laser and ultrasonic thickness gauges can be used to measure the thickness of aluminum foil. These devices work by measuring the time it takes for a laser or sound wave to travel through the foil and back. This information is then used to calculate the thickness of the foil.

5. How can I find the thickness of aluminum foil without any special tools?

If you do not have access to measuring tools, you can use the foil's weight to estimate its thickness. Compare the weight of the foil to a known thickness chart, which can be found online. Keep in mind that this method may not be as accurate as using measuring tools.