Calculating R1 for LED Circuit Question with 12V Supply Voltage

• Engineering
  • Thread starter cissey
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuit Led
In summary, to find the value of the series resistance R1 needed for an LED with a rated current of 20 milliamperes and a voltage drop of 1.5 volts, when connected to a 12 volt DC supply, you can use Kirchhoff's Voltage Law to solve for R1. The calculation results in a value of 525 ohms, but for practical purposes, a standard resistor of 560 ohms should be used. To extend the life of the LED, it is recommended to operate it at 80% of the rated current, which would require a minimum resistor value of 656 ohms. Other factors to consider when choosing a resistor are its tolerance and wattage rating.
cissey
In the circuit the LED's rated current is 20 milliamphers. With a voltage drop across the LED of 1.5 volts, calculate the value of the series resistance R1 necessary to be used if the supply voltage is 12 volts DC.
Here is how I answered this, I am not sure if I am right.
R1=Er1/Ir1
R1= 10.5/.020
R1=525 ohm
Can someone help me please?
This problem has me confused

Physics news on Phys.org

cissey said:
In the circuit the LED's rated current is 20 milliamphers. With a voltage drop across the LED of 1.5 volts, calculate the value of the series resistance R1 necessary to be used if the supply voltage is 12 volts DC.

Nice job, describing your question and showing what you've worked out. :approve:

The next small learning steps are: (1) start this as a new thread (it is a different question from the LC one). (2) Notice we had your LC question moved over to the homework> introductory physics subtopic. If I were asking your LED question, I would probably post under: homework>engineering.

You're method is correct, using Kirchhoffs Voltage Law around circuit path.
Vs-V_led - (I R_lim) = 0
12-1.5 - (0.20)R_lim = 0
R_lim= (12-1.5)/0.20 = 525[itex]\Omega[/itex]

Depending on the extent of your assignment, you may be able to stop there. But if you were asked to choose a resistor, they don't make 525[itex]\Omega[/itex] resistors. To choose a practical one, you can find standard values on a http://ece-www.colorado.edu/~mcclurel/resistorsandcaps.pdf" . You don't want to exceed the current rating spec, so your limiting resistor needs to be [itex]\ge[/itex] 525[itex]\Omega[/itex] Using the table of std. values, the closest would be 560[itex]\Omega[/itex]

For practical applications, you wouldn't want to run the LED continuously at 20mA, as it can shorten the life of your LED, causing the junction to break down. One http://www.etcs.ipfw.edu/~linm/2005Spring/cpet190/suppl/LED_Rs/LED_Rs.html" , for choosing a minimum limiting resistor value, is one that operates at 80% of the rated current. (20mA x 80%) = 16mA. R= (12-1.5)/0.016 = 656[itex]\Omega[/itex]. Again choose a standard resistor greater than or equal to the calculated value, from the table. Other practical considerations to consider are; choosing tolerance and wattage rating for your resistor. If you haven't covered those concepts yet, you probably will soon.

Last edited by a moderator:

Your approach to solving this problem is correct. To determine the value of R1, we can use Ohm's Law, which states that the resistance (R) in a circuit is equal to the voltage (V) divided by the current (I). In this case, the voltage is the supply voltage (12V) minus the voltage drop across the LED (1.5V), which gives us a voltage of 10.5V. The current is given as 20 milliamperes, which needs to be converted to amps by dividing by 1000. This gives us a current of 0.020 amps.

Plugging these values into Ohm's Law, we get:

R1 = V/I
R1 = 10.5V / 0.020A
R1 = 525 ohms

Therefore, the value of R1 necessary to be used in this LED circuit with a 12V supply voltage is 525 ohms. This resistance will limit the current flowing through the LED to the rated current of 20 milliamperes, ensuring that the LED operates safely and efficiently.

1. How do I calculate the value of R1 for an LED circuit with a 12V supply voltage?

To calculate the value of R1, you need to know the forward voltage (Vf) and forward current (If) of your LED. These values can usually be found in the LED's datasheet. Then, use the formula R1 = (Vs - Vf) / If, where Vs is the supply voltage. This will give you the required resistance value for R1.

2. What is the purpose of R1 in an LED circuit with a 12V supply voltage?

R1 is used to limit the current flowing through the LED and prevent it from burning out. LEDs are designed to operate at a specific current, and using R1 helps ensure that the LED receives the correct amount of current from the power source.

3. Can I use any value for R1 in an LED circuit with a 12V supply voltage?

No, you cannot use any value for R1. As mentioned earlier, the value of R1 depends on the Vf and If of your LED. Using a different value may result in too much or too little current flowing through the LED, which can damage it.

4. What happens if I don't use R1 in an LED circuit with a 12V supply voltage?

If you do not use R1 in your LED circuit, the LED will receive the full 12V supply voltage, which can cause it to burn out quickly. Additionally, the lack of R1 may also affect the lifespan and brightness of the LED.

5. Can I use a resistor with a higher resistance than the calculated value for R1 in an LED circuit with a 12V supply voltage?

Yes, you can use a resistor with a higher resistance than the calculated value for R1. This will decrease the current flowing through the LED, but it may also result in a dimmer light. It is best to stick to the calculated value for R1 to ensure the proper functioning and lifespan of the LED.