Quantum physicist vs Nuclear Physicist vs Chemical Engineer

In summary, the individual is unsure about which field of physics to pursue, as they have interests in nuclear physics, chemical engineering, and quantum physics. They have read that there may not be many job opportunities for undergraduate physics majors, but are unsure of the accuracy of this information. They are also curious about the career prospects for theoretical physicists and are considering a double major in physics. However, it is advised that they wait until they have more experience in physics classes before making a decision. The individual is also reminded that they do not need to specialize in a specific field until graduate school and should focus on building a strong foundation in mathematics and exploring different areas of interest.
Cmertin
I have been planning on dual majoring as a nuclear physicist and also a chemical engineer. I was going to be the chemical engineer until I could get a good job as a nuclear physicist. This changed though when I started learning about quantum mechanics and I realized how much I enjoy it. I like chemistry, nuclear physics, and quantum physics equally. I wouldn't mind majoring in 2 physics courses, but I have read that there are not a lot of good jobs for physics straight out of college. Any help?

Edit: I'm also only restricted to going to college in Florida because I have to use state scholarships to go.

Physics news on Phys.org
The particular sub-field you enter in physics is usually not something you decide on until graduate school. Some programs have specializations in particular areas, but generally that means that your final year of courses is tailored in a particular manner. So if you're thinking about pursuing a field of physics, then you just find a physics program that interests you. You can make the sub-field decision later on.

It's probably also worth mentioning that nuclear physicists use quantum mechanics. Not too many people define themselves as "quantum physicists" these days.

I'm curious where you read that there are not a lot of good jobs for people with an undergraduate physics degree. Was the statement backed up with some data?

I don't remember quite where I read it, though it was on some sight like this, and no there was no data to back it up. So, I'm guessing that data is false and I shouldn't have relied on that?

Edit: what about theoretical physicists? Do they usually only get a job in a university?

Last edited:
If you want to stick with doing theoretical physics, then either a job at a university or a research institute (e.g. CERN, Bell Labs) is the only way to go. The latter are quite specific in their field of research.

But as a theoretical physicist you can just as 'easily' end up in the world of consultancy, finance, etc. You just won't be doing physics anymore..

Are you freshman in college? I think you should really wait till you have more physics classes under your belt, double majoring as a physicist might not be as trivial as you think.

@xepma - Bell Labs as your thinking about it does not exist anymore
there is no basic research going on for Lucent.

Consistent with the above posts I would like to reiterate you really don't need to choose a field to specialize in until graduate school. Spend your undergraduate years by forming a strong base in mathematics and supplementing it with a wide range of physics, chemistry and other engineering courses that interest you. Also, try to get involved with a professor or graduate student being in aid to research; this may give you a better idea of what you want to do.

What is the difference between a quantum physicist, a nuclear physicist, and a chemical engineer?

A quantum physicist studies the behavior and interactions of particles at the quantum level, while a nuclear physicist focuses on the structure and properties of atomic nuclei. A chemical engineer, on the other hand, applies principles of chemistry, physics, and engineering to design and develop processes for the production of chemicals and other products.

What education and training do quantum physicists, nuclear physicists, and chemical engineers typically have?

Most quantum physicists and nuclear physicists have a PhD in physics or a related field, while chemical engineers typically have a bachelor's degree in chemical engineering. However, many chemical engineers also hold advanced degrees.

What industries or fields do quantum physicists, nuclear physicists, and chemical engineers work in?

Quantum physicists and nuclear physicists often work in academic or research settings, while chemical engineers can be found in a variety of industries such as pharmaceuticals, biotechnology, energy, and materials science.

How do the research and work of quantum physicists, nuclear physicists, and chemical engineers overlap?

All three fields involve the study and manipulation of matter at the atomic and subatomic level. However, quantum physicists and nuclear physicists focus on fundamental particles and their interactions, while chemical engineers apply this knowledge to develop practical applications and processes.

What are some current areas of research or advancement in quantum physics, nuclear physics, and chemical engineering?

Quantum physicists are currently exploring topics such as quantum computing, quantum cryptography, and quantum mechanics. Nuclear physicists are researching nuclear fusion as a potential energy source and studying the properties of subatomic particles. Chemical engineers are working on developing sustainable and efficient processes for producing chemicals and materials.