Best shape to flip or spin in Water?

In summary: Cheers.The bubbling action should help the solid dye to dissolve more evenly. Maybe even something like a little rocket-shaped tablet, with the CO2 bubbling out of one end to make the tablet move around in the liquid...Alternately, you could embed some spring shapes in the solid tablet, so that as it starts to dissolve, different parts of the spring are released, causing agitation of the liquid and better disolving of the dye.I have an assumption, but I'd better check to be sure. This is something to...-Cheers.
society
So I'm not sure if this is the right place - and its a crazy question - but I am trying to get something to spin and/or flip when I put it in a beaker of water, just by its own weight and gravity. I have tried a maple seed shape, propeller shapes, simple curls, sprials, Rocchetti pasta shapes, but they all don't spin or flip fast enough. Does anyone out here know what the ideal shape would be? I know that the density will be an issue relative to the mass? But aside from that I need to know were to start , before trying to dial in the variables. Any ideas? By the way, a propeller type shape worked well but only with 4 blades and above. I have not been able to get anything to flip end over end yet. Any ideas?

It has to be quite small , like say the size of a penny or a dime.

-Cheers.

Engineering news on Phys.org
society said:
So I'm not sure if this is the right place - and its a crazy question - but I am trying to get something to spin and/or flip when I put it in a beaker of water, just by its own weight and gravity. I have tried a maple seed shape, propeller shapes, simple curls, sprials, Rocchetti pasta shapes, but they all don't spin or flip fast enough. Does anyone out here know what the ideal shape would be? I know that the density will be an issue relative to the mass? But aside from that I need to know were to start , before trying to dial in the variables. Any ideas? By the way, a propeller type shape worked well but only with 4 blades and above. I have not been able to get anything to flip end over end yet. Any ideas?

It has to be quite small , like say the size of a penny or a dime.

-Cheers.

Can you use an external field, like a magnetic field to flip it at some depth? Can you post more details about the overall problem? An inverted dart will flip at some depth...

I can't use any external forces. Only gravity and the shape. I can't get too specific about the project, but the basic premise is that I need to release a dye/ink in fluid , in such a way that it will give the best overall consistent color throughout. So I was going to apply a water soluble colored coating to a shape which spins or flips at a controlled rate and the act of spinning or flipping will allow the coating to be released throughout the whole body of water consistently before landing at the bottom. Make sense? In other words, if I just drop a tablet into a beeker of water, the dye will primarily collect/release at the bottom of the beaker, and not throughout the whole volume. Unfortunately, I don't have the luxury of changing the density or weight of the tablet too much, or even adding other compounds to make it disolve faster etc... so the shape is the only way I could think to control the fall.

-thanks

society said:
I can't use any external forces. Only gravity and the shape. I can't get too specific about the project, but the basic premise is that I need to release a dye/ink in fluid , in such a way that it will give the best overall consistent color throughout. So I was going to apply a water soluble colored coating to a shape which spins or flips at a controlled rate and the act of spinning or flipping will allow the coating to be released throughout the whole body of water consistently before landing at the bottom. Make sense? In other words, if I just drop a tablet into a beeker of water, the dye will primarily collect/release at the bottom of the beaker, and not throughout the whole volume. Unfortunately, I don't have the luxury of changing the density or weight of the tablet too much, or even adding other compounds to make it disolve faster etc... so the shape is the only way I could think to control the fall.

-thanks

Can you use something that releases CO2 or some other gas mixed in with the dye tablet? The bubbling action should help the solid dye to dissolve more evenly. Maybe even something like a little rocket-shaped tablet, with the CO2 bubbling out of one end to make the tablet move around in the liquid...

Alternately, you could embed some spring shapes in the solid tablet, so that as it starts to dissolve, different parts of the spring are released, causing agitation of the liquid and better disolving of the dye.

I have an assumption, but I'd better check to be sure. This is something to be mass produced in huge quantities, right? That would mean that it has to be as simple and cheap as possible to manufacture.
There's an idea tickling around in the back left corner of my brain, but I don't think that it'll work. I'm going to throw it out there anyhow, just in case. If it does work, you could just use the dye without a carrier shape.
What I'm thinking of is forming the pellet with increasing density toward the centre, with the outer layer having enough buoyancy to float the thing. As the pellet dissolves, it would gradually sink as that buoyancy decreases. Any hope for that?

Danger said:
I have an assumption, but I'd better check to be sure. This is something to be mass produced in huge quantities, right? That would mean that it has to be as simple and cheap as possible to manufacture.
There's an idea tickling around in the back left corner of my brain, but I don't think that it'll work. I'm going to throw it out there anyhow, just in case. If it does work, you could just use the dye without a carrier shape.
What I'm thinking of is forming the pellet with increasing density toward the centre, with the outer layer having enough buoyancy to float the thing. As the pellet dissolves, it would gradually sink as that buoyancy decreases. Any hope for that?

Thats nice! But yes you are correct in the mass production assumption. It would be quite hard to control the density to achieve that level of accuracy, also because the liquid will change slightly between use cases. This is one reason that I was trying to use a carrier. My hope was that the carrier Shape could be controlled easier than the carrier material - relative to the liquid conditions.

But I like your thinking! That hadn't crossed my mind yet.

I see. Hmmm... I'm going to go think on this some more.

That sounds like a pretty ingenious approach, Claws. Multiple outlet points would certainly increase the distribution. I never considered that.
My thought before seeing that was to suggest trying various pitches on the 'propeller' shapes to optimize sink rate vs. rotation, but I like yours better.

Wow! Moonbear showing up here just gave me another idea, since she's a biologist. You could genetically engineer sea-monkeys to excrete dye...

1. What is the best shape to use when flipping or spinning in water?

The best shape to use when flipping or spinning in water is a symmetrical shape, such as a sphere or cylinder. This shape allows for equal distribution of weight and reduces drag, making it easier to rotate in the water.

2. Why is symmetry important when performing flips or spins in water?

Symmetry is important because it helps to maintain balance and stability in the water. When performing flips or spins, any uneven weight distribution can cause the body to tilt or rotate in an unintended way, making it difficult to control the movement. A symmetrical shape helps to prevent this from happening.

3. Are there any specific measurements or dimensions that make a shape better for flipping or spinning in water?

There are no specific measurements or dimensions that make a shape better for flipping or spinning in water. However, it is important to ensure that the shape is not too large or too small for the individual performing the movement, as this can affect their ability to control their body in the water.

4. Can different shapes be used for different types of flips or spins in water?

Yes, different shapes can be used for different types of flips or spins in water. For example, a flat shape, such as a disc or square, may be more suitable for performing a forward flip, while a streamlined shape, like a cone or teardrop, may be better for a spinning motion.

5. Is there any scientific evidence to support the use of a specific shape for flipping or spinning in water?

There have been studies that have shown the benefits of using a symmetrical shape for flipping or spinning in water, but there is no definitive scientific evidence to support the use of a specific shape. Ultimately, the best shape will vary depending on the individual's body type, skill level, and personal preference.