Frame Analysis Using Method of Members, Another Problem

In summary, the Method of Members is a structural analysis technique used for frame analysis. It involves breaking down the frame into individual members and analyzing each one separately. This method differs from others because it considers the members as separate entities, leading to a more accurate analysis. Some advantages of using this method include its simplicity, accuracy, and ability to handle complex structures. However, it does have limitations such as assuming perfect connections between members and not accounting for non-linear behavior. To apply this method, one must draw a free body diagram, identify external and internal forces, and use equations of equilibrium and compatibility to solve for unknown forces and displacements.
iceicebaby03
Frame Analysis Using Method of Members.

Determine the force in bar BE.

2. Well, I don't know where to start. I know there are three equations EFy=0, EFx=0, EMc=0 but I don't know what the first member to consider and how to solve this type of problem.

There is a final answer given, BE = 2410 lb (Compression)
I am trying to isolate the left and right trusses. Is that the right thing to do?
Please help, Thanks!

Attachments

• 4.6.13.jpg
    4.6.13.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 359
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, that is correct.

I understand your confusion and frustration with this problem. Frame analysis using the method of members can be a complex and challenging process, but with practice and a clear understanding of the principles involved, it can be solved successfully.

To determine the force in bar BE, you will need to follow a few steps. First, you need to identify the external forces acting on the frame. These can include applied loads, reactions at supports, and weight of the frame itself. Once you have determined these external forces, you can move on to analyzing the internal forces in the frame.

To do this, you can start by isolating the left and right trusses, as you mentioned. This will simplify the problem and allow you to apply the equations EFy=0, EFx=0, and EMc=0 to each truss separately. You can then use the method of joints and method of sections to determine the forces in each member.

It is important to note that the first member you choose to analyze does not affect the final answer, as long as you are consistent in your approach. However, it is often helpful to start with the simplest or most straightforward member.

In this case, the final answer given, BE = 2410 lb (Compression), indicates that the force in bar BE is acting in a compressive direction. This means that the member is being pushed together, rather than pulled apart. This information can help guide your analysis and ensure that your final answer is correct.

I encourage you to continue practicing and seeking help when needed. As with any scientific process, frame analysis using the method of members requires patience, attention to detail, and a thorough understanding of the principles involved. With persistence and determination, I am confident that you will be able to successfully solve this and other frame analysis problems.

1. What is the "Method of Members" for frame analysis?

The Method of Members is a structural analysis technique used to determine the internal forces and displacements in a frame structure. It involves breaking down the frame into its individual members and analyzing each member separately.

2. How is "Frame Analysis Using Method of Members" different from other methods of frame analysis?

The Method of Members is different from other frame analysis methods because it considers the individual members of the frame as separate entities, rather than analyzing the frame as a whole. This allows for a more detailed and accurate analysis of the internal forces in each member.

3. What are the advantages of using the Method of Members for frame analysis?

Some advantages of using the Method of Members for frame analysis include its simplicity, accuracy, and ability to handle complex frame structures. It also allows for a better understanding of the behavior of individual frame members and their contribution to the overall stability of the structure.

4. Are there any limitations to using the Method of Members for frame analysis?

One limitation of the Method of Members is that it assumes all members of the frame are connected by perfect pins or hinges, which may not always be the case in real-world structures. It also does not take into account any non-linear behavior of the frame members.

5. How can I apply the Method of Members to solve a frame analysis problem?

To apply the Method of Members, you will need to draw the free body diagram of the frame and identify all the external and internal forces acting on each member. Then, using the equations of equilibrium and compatibility, you can solve for the unknown forces and displacements in each member.