Build Digital Magnetometer with Gates - Tutorials/Guides

In summary: Path=1_4&sortby=2&page=1Thanks, I'll check those out.Can you please also point me to a tutorial on how to use an ADC?I would like to make a simple magnetometer.You can make a magnetometer with three hall effect sensors. This will be the most accurate method. You will also need to calibrate the sensors to get the most accurate readings. Another method would be to use an ADC to read the field.
alexsb92
Hey

I am interested in building a device that can give the local magnetic field in 3D. I'd like for the display to be digital not a mechanical gauge. I would not want to use any sensors or microcontrollers for that matter, but make it with gates and everything. If you do know how to make it with microcontrollers, please share, as I could probably take the commands from the microcontroller and make it do the same but not using the microcontroller.

Tutorials or guides would be very useful.
Thanks,
ALex

Engineering news on Phys.org
Thanks, but do you know anything else, as in guides for it? I would like for it not to be premade, but rather make it myself.

DIY Magnetometer?

Hi,

how can i build a digital display magnetometer from scratch? No sensors I mean.

Or could you point me to some pages that explain how a magnetometer really works and that I could replicate myself?

Alex

DIY Magnetometer?

Hi,

Does anyoneknow how can i make my own digital(7 segmentis fine) 3D magnetometer from scrath? No sensors or controllers.

Thanks

No sensors is going to be tricky - what do you call the bit that senses the field?

edit - just saw your other post.
You could use three hall effect sensors at right angles and read the values into an ADC yourself.
Honeywell make a whole set of 1/2/3d packages.
If you want to make a compass you will also need accurate tilt sensors to determine the orientation for the z field

You can't make a Hall probe yourself (unless you have a well equiped clean-room at home, which I doubt).
The only type of magnetometer I knpow of that you could potentially make yourself would be something based on a moving (e.g. rotating) coil; although it won't be very sensitive and making something that can sense in 3D would be very tricky (and probably quite large)

(merged 3 threads into one)

You can purchase Hall Effect sensor integrated circuit chips from www.digikey.com. They have several 1.4 and 4.5 mV per [STRIKE]millivolt[/STRIKE] Gauss Allegro IC's in the 4-SIP package (suitable for soldering) for about $$3.99 each. See
http://www.allegromicro.com/en/Products/Part_Numbers/1360/1360.pdf

Last edited:

1. What is a digital magnetometer?

A digital magnetometer is a device that measures the strength and direction of magnetic fields. It is an electronic version of a traditional magnetometer, which uses analog components.

2. How does a digital magnetometer work?

A digital magnetometer uses Hall effect sensors to detect changes in magnetic fields. These sensors convert the magnetic field strength into an electrical signal, which is then processed by digital gates to create a digital output.

3. What are the benefits of building a digital magnetometer with gates?

Building a digital magnetometer with gates allows for a more precise and accurate measurement of magnetic fields. It also allows for easier integration with other digital systems and can be easily programmed for different applications.

4. What materials are needed to build a digital magnetometer with gates?

The materials needed may vary depending on the specific design, but generally, you will need Hall effect sensors, digital gates, resistors, capacitors, a power source, and a microcontroller or computer for programming and data processing.

5. Are there any tutorials or guides available for building a digital magnetometer with gates?

Yes, there are many tutorials and guides available online for building a digital magnetometer with gates. A simple internet search can provide you with step-by-step instructions, diagrams, and code examples to help you get started.