Are UV Protected Swim Clothes Worth the Extra Cost?

• Thread starter jobyts
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Uv
In summary, the author is saying that the material of the swimwear is not special, and that it is not clear if the UV protection is any better than regular cotton. The author also suggests that people could get sunburned through the swimwear.
jobyts
http://www.alexandme.com/ [Broken]

sells uv protected swim clothes for a 4 times the price. All I could see is swim suits which are covering more body parts. Is the material different?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Polyester/polyamide is better than cotton - don't know if you can add anything to make it even better

I've seen Quiksilver's UV tech stuff before. I can't find any serious info with a quick search. It simply refers to "UV tech super-stretchy nylon and spandex with SPF 50 rating..." so I'm not certain if it's proprietary or simply vague to make it seem like it's special technology.

I know my short sleeve spandexy (I'm not at the house otherwise I'd read the materials) rash guard that I bought 10 years ago left me with some serious farmers tan lines this summer when I wore it diving.

The only thing I have seen is that polymers can have various UV stabilizers/absorbers mixed in. Possibly this is what they use in the polyester clothing.

I'm trying to think if I have ever gotten sunburn through any clothes that I have ever owned. Are these transparent or something?

Pattonias said:
I'm trying to think if I have ever gotten sunburn through any clothes that I have ever owned. Are these transparent or something?

Thin white cotton has very little UV absoprtion, there is a concern that people could get sunburned because they stay out in the sun for longer because they feel cooler and are protected.

Dunno about other benefits, but it would probably help with IR cameras designed to see through swimwear. I know IR and UV are different but if it effectively blocks one it probably blocks the other too.

I could never stay outside in super-stretchy nylon and spandex, the feel of it would make me insane.

hypatia said:
I could never stay outside in super-stretchy nylon and spandex,
Plus holding your stomach in for that long makes me dizzy

chayced said:
Dunno about other benefits, but it would probably help with IR cameras designed to see through swimwear. I know IR and UV are different but if it effectively blocks one it probably blocks the other too.

No, it would not help for IR. IR and UV are indeed different, they are in fact as different as they can be since UV and IR are (just outside) the opposite ends of the visible spectrum.
Hence, that fact that something protects from UV has absolutely no releveance when it comes the properties at the IR end of the spectrum.

mgb_phys said:
Plus holding your stomach in for that long makes me dizzy
Then I suggest you quit holding my stomach in.:redface:

1. What is UV protection in swim clothes?

UV protection in swim clothes refers to the fabric's ability to block or absorb harmful ultraviolet (UV) rays from the sun. These rays can cause skin damage and increase the risk of skin cancer, so UV protected swim clothes are designed to provide a barrier between the skin and the sun.

2. How does UV protection work in swim clothes?

UV protection in swim clothes is achieved through the use of special fabrics or coatings that are designed to block or absorb UV rays. These fabrics are tightly woven and often contain chemicals or dyes that act as a barrier to UV radiation. Some swim clothes may also have a UPF (Ultraviolet Protection Factor) rating, which indicates the level of protection provided.

3. Do UV protected swim clothes need to be re-applied with sunscreen?

While UV protected swim clothes provide a level of sun protection, it is still recommended to apply sunscreen to any exposed skin. This is because sunscreen can provide additional protection and also help to protect against UVA rays, which are not blocked by UV protected swim clothes.

4. Are all swim clothes UV protected?

No, not all swim clothes are UV protected. Regular swim clothes may provide some level of sun protection, but they are not specifically designed to block or absorb UV rays. It is important to look for swim clothes that are labeled as UV protected or have a UPF rating for optimal sun protection.

5. How long does UV protection last in swim clothes?

The duration of UV protection in swim clothes can vary depending on factors such as the fabric used, the UPF rating, and how often the swim clothes are worn and washed. It is generally recommended to replace UV protected swim clothes every 1-2 years to ensure they continue to provide adequate sun protection.