Measuring Spin - wave function collapse

In summary: Taking a measurement is not the same as finding the expectation value. If you take a measurement of Sx or Sz, you'll always get 1/2 or -1/2 (in units of h-bar). The expectation value is what you'd expect if you took many measurements and averaged the results.Taking a measurement is not the same as finding the expectation value. If you take a measurement of Sx or Sz, you'll always get 1/2 or -1/2 (in units of h-bar). The expectation value is what you'd expect if you took many measurements and averaged the results.
benbenny
It is my understanding that a measurement of [tex] S_z [/tex] followed by a measurement of [tex] S_y [/tex] will result in a particle which is in an eigenstate of [tex] S_y [/tex]. But it appears that a measurement of say [tex] S_y [/tex] followed by a measurement of [tex] S_x [/tex] results in zero. I see this from a question in which I am asked to find the expectation value of [tex] S_x [/tex] for a particle in an eigenstate of [tex] S_y [/tex] and my result is zero. But for [tex] S_z [/tex] it is non zero.
I don't understand why this is so. Could someone help me understand why we find non zero [tex] S_z [/tex] values but zero [tex] S_x [/tex] values for a partilce in an [tex] S_y [/tex] eigenstate.

Thanks in advance.

B

Physics news on Phys.org
Taking a measurement is not the same as finding the expectation value. If you take a measurement of Sx or Sz, you'll always get 1/2 or -1/2 (in units of h-bar). The expectation value is what you'd expect if you took many measurements and averaged the results.

vela said:
Taking a measurement is not the same as finding the expectation value. If you take a measurement of Sx or Sz, you'll always get 1/2 or -1/2 (in units of h-bar). The expectation value is what you'd expect if you took many measurements and averaged the results.

Ok. I understand now. Thank you Vela.

It makes sense that the expectation value in the [tex] S_z [/tex] direction is NOT zero even if we are in a quantum state of [tex] S_x [/tex] or [tex] S_y [/tex] since it is the "preferred" direction I suppose, while [tex] S_x [/tex] and [tex] S_y [/tex] should exhibit zero expectation if we are in the [tex] S_z [/tex] eigenstate as they sort of rotate around [tex] S_z [/tex].
or something like that. cheers.

If you're in an eigenstate of Sx, the preferred direction is along the x-axis. You should find the expectation values of Sy and Sz to be zero.

Keep in mind that x, y, and z are just labels we use to keep things straight. There's nothing intrinsically special about the z-axis.

vela said:
If you're in an eigenstate of Sx, the preferred direction is along the x-axis. You should find the expectation values of Sy and Sz to be zero.

Keep in mind that x, y, and z are just labels we use to keep things straight. There's nothing intrinsically special about the z-axis.

oh ok. now I think I really do understand. Source of confusion: hypothetical triple stern-gerlach experiment which exhibits that taking a measurement of Sx on an Sz eigenstate beam would produce 2 more beams in eigenstates of Sx. Obviously 2 resulting beams in the up and down eigenstates of Sx still amount to a zero expectation value.

Thanks again Vela, and if your interested in helping me with another unrelated question regarding GR and the cylinder condition that would be great as well : https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=399738

cheers.

B

1. What is spin in quantum mechanics?

Spin is a fundamental property of subatomic particles in quantum mechanics. It describes the intrinsic angular momentum of a particle and can have values of either +1/2 or -1/2.

2. How is spin measured?

Spin is measured using a device called a Stern-Gerlach apparatus, which utilizes a magnetic field to separate particles with different spin orientations. The resulting pattern on a detector screen can then be analyzed to determine the spin of the particles.

3. What is wave function collapse?

Wave function collapse is a phenomenon in quantum mechanics where the act of measuring a particle's properties causes its wave function, which describes its possible states, to collapse into a single definite state. This is a fundamental aspect of quantum mechanics and is still not fully understood.

4. How is spin related to wave function collapse?

The spin of a particle is one of its properties that can be measured, and therefore, the process of measuring spin can cause the collapse of its wave function. This collapse results in the particle having a definite spin state rather than existing in multiple possible states simultaneously.

5. Why is measuring spin important?

Measuring spin is important in understanding the behavior and properties of subatomic particles. It is also a crucial aspect of quantum computing and other technologies that rely on the principles of quantum mechanics. Additionally, studying spin can provide insights into the fundamental nature of the universe.