Dissolved oxygen related to redox potential

In summary, deaerating water used in boilers made of iron by removing dissolved oxygen lowers the redox potential, preventing damage. Electrolysis does the same thing, but with electrons instead of oxygen.
Rexmundi
I have read a little bit about some industries deaerating water used in boilers made of iron to prevent them from becoming damaged.

I think this is because removing dissolved oxygen from the water lowers its redox potential. I think that this works because once the redox potential of the surrounding environment is lowered past a certain point it is no longer possible for Fe+2 to oxidize into Fe+3.
Am I right about any of this?

I was also wondering about the reverse reaction, I have read a little bit about using electrolysis for this. If I had some other method of lowering the redox potential of the system far enough would the Fe+3 go back to Fe+2?

I'm sure I shouldn't be I'm sort of thinking of this as a parallel to melting point/boiling point.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Rexmundi said:
I think this is because removing dissolved oxygen from the water lowers its redox potential.

I don't think potential plays important role here. Oxygen is an oxidizer strong enough to work on iron even in very low concentrations. It can be easily calculated from Nernst equation, at the moment I am only referring to my intuition. Call it an educated guess.

However, if you take a look at the reaction stoichiometry, it becomes obvious that amount of iron oxidized is limited by the amount of oxygen present. Less oxygen present, less iron oxidized.

--
methods

Okay I see the oxygen as a limiting reactant idea now and that makes sense, it's simpler than I was making it out to be.

I'll try to restate the second part of my question.

If I had some Fe203 in an anaerobic solution could it change to Fe304?
Could it take an electron from H20 somehow?
Would it help if the redox potential of the solution was very low?

Sorry if this is nonsense, I have not taken a chemistry course in a long time and do not really know how these things work.

The answer is not straightforward, but simple in that it would attempt to reach equilibrium:
Yes, it could steal things from water (O, H or electrons and break up an H2O)
A solution of Fe2O3 would change some to Fe3O4 as needed to reach equilibrium

Your boiler situation is a little different, you are oxidizing zero-valent iron (Fe) to other states (both Fe2+ and Fe3+) depending on redox potential.

I can confirm that your understanding of the relationship between dissolved oxygen and redox potential is correct. Deaerating water in industries, such as in boilers made of iron, is a common method to prevent corrosion and damage. This is because removing dissolved oxygen from the water lowers its redox potential, making it less likely for Fe+2 to oxidize into Fe+3.

In terms of the reverse reaction, using electrolysis to lower the redox potential can indeed cause the Fe+3 to go back to Fe+2. This is because electrolysis is a process that involves the transfer of electrons, which can affect the redox potential of a system. However, it is important to note that this process may not be as straightforward as simply lowering the redox potential. Other factors, such as the concentration of ions and the presence of other compounds, can also influence the redox potential and the reverse reaction.

While the concept of melting point and boiling point can be used as an analogy to understand the relationship between dissolved oxygen and redox potential, it is important to note that these are different physical properties and cannot be directly applied to this situation. Overall, your understanding of the relationship between dissolved oxygen and redox potential is correct, and further research and experimentation can help you understand the complexities of this process in more detail.

1. What is the relationship between dissolved oxygen and redox potential?

The concentration of dissolved oxygen (DO) in water is directly related to the redox potential (Eh) of the water. As DO is consumed by organisms or chemical reactions, the Eh decreases. Conversely, as DO levels increase, the Eh increases.

2. How does redox potential affect aquatic organisms?

Aquatic organisms rely on the balance of DO and Eh in their environment for survival. A low redox potential can lead to oxygen-depleted conditions, which can be harmful or even fatal for some species. On the other hand, a high redox potential can indicate the presence of pollutants or toxins that can also be harmful to aquatic life.

3. What factors can influence the redox potential of water?

The redox potential of water can be influenced by a variety of factors, including temperature, pH, the presence of other chemicals or pollutants, and the activity of organisms. These factors can either increase or decrease the Eh, ultimately affecting the levels of dissolved oxygen in the water.

4. How is redox potential measured?

The redox potential of water is typically measured using a specialized electrode, known as an oxidation-reduction potential (ORP) electrode. The electrode is inserted into the water and measures the voltage difference between itself and a reference electrode. This voltage is then converted into a redox potential value in millivolts (mV).

5. What is the ideal redox potential for a healthy aquatic ecosystem?

The ideal redox potential for a healthy aquatic ecosystem depends on the specific environment and the species living in it. Generally, a range of -200 to +200 mV is considered ideal, as it allows for a balance between aerobic and anaerobic processes. However, certain species may have different tolerance levels and can thrive in environments with higher or lower redox potentials.