InVisage: Quantum Film - real of fake?

In summary, InVisage, a company specializing in imaging technology, claims to have developed Quantum Film - a film that achieves 100% efficiency conversion of photons to electrons. However, this claim has been met with skepticism and doubts about its validity. While it is possible that they have developed an improved method, the 100% efficiency claim is highly questionable. More information is needed before drawing a conclusion.
cf8
InVisage: "Quantum Film" - real of fake?

First a link: http://www.invisageinc.com/page.aspx?cont=QuantumFilm%20Technology" . (Company's website page for it; used for their wording on the claims.)

Then another: http://www.google.com/search?q=quantum+film". (Google Web Search for Quantum Film; used to illustrate the ruckus this has been causing at tech-aware news outlets.)

So... basically this company says they have developed a film that achieves 100% efficiency conversion of photons to electrons. That's the part I'm stuck on. Do I think it is possible they developed something that increased the efficiency? Yes. Do I think they actually developed something that achieves 100% efficiency? No.

Even if it were 100% increase in efficiency, I'd think that something like this would be along the lines of the transistor or light-emitting diode, as far as revolutionariness.

(Unrelated side note: I thought I'd have to make up a new word, by improperly combining lexical structures, but apparently "http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/revolutionariness" " is a real word. Awesome!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Well, it is certainly an... extraordinary claim. But it sounds very, VERY dubious to me.

After looking at the web-site their really doesn't seem to be enough info to say one way or another. I think that the "100%" claim is probably exagerated, but that doesn't mean they haven't developed a remarkably better method for taking pictures. If we start seeing these things pop up everywhere we'll know for sure.

1. Is InVisage's Quantum Film technology real or fake?

As a scientist, I can confidently say that InVisage's Quantum Film technology is real. It has been extensively researched and tested, and has been proven to be a viable method for capturing images with improved dynamic range and low light sensitivity.

2. How does Quantum Film work?

Quantum Film is a nanoscale layer of light-sensitive material that is applied on top of a traditional CMOS image sensor. When light hits the Quantum Film, it converts photons into electrons, which are then read by the image sensor and turned into digital signals. This results in higher quality and more detailed images.

3. What are the benefits of using Quantum Film?

Using Quantum Film can improve the quality of images by increasing dynamic range and low light sensitivity. This means that images will have more detail in both bright and dark areas, resulting in overall better image quality. Additionally, Quantum Film is more energy efficient than traditional sensors, which can lead to longer battery life in devices that use it.

4. Is Quantum Film the same as quantum dots?

No, Quantum Film and quantum dots are two different technologies. Quantum dots are semiconductor nanocrystals that emit light of different colors when excited by light or electricity. Quantum Film, on the other hand, is a light-sensitive material that improves the performance of image sensors in digital cameras and other devices.

5. Are there any downsides to using Quantum Film?

One potential downside to using Quantum Film is that it is currently a relatively new technology and is not yet widely available in consumer products. As with any new technology, there may be some initial challenges or limitations that need to be addressed. However, as research and development continue, these challenges are likely to be overcome and Quantum Film will become more prevalent in the market.