Spring problem with two masses question.

In summary: This is represented by Hooke's Law: F = -kx. Therefore, the spring constant for each system will depend on the mass and displacement of the ball.In summary, when setting the gravity to zero and changing the mass of the red ball in the simulation, the system shifts to the right due to the conservation of energy and Newton's Third Law of Motion. The spring constant for each system can be calculated by dividing the force applied to the ball by its displacement, according to Hooke's Law.
verthex
Hello,

The question I have is in regards to this page http://www.myphysicslab.com/molecule2.html
where setting the gravity to zero and setting the mass of the red ball to 30 causes the system to move to the right slowly. You can reset the system after setting up the two variables so that no external forces are present. Why does the location of the two masses (system) change and how is this represented. Is there a conservation of momentum. I understand the part about solving for this system by finding the COM and then treating each ball as a separate spring problem like the next link
http://www.myphysicslab.com/spring1.html, although I'm not sure what the spring constant becomes when solving for each system. Thanks.WHOOPS! nevermind. I think there is an error in the simulation. If you change the mass of the red ball to 90 and the gravity to 0 and reset the simulation and then change the red ball mass to 30, the system will shift to the right.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like the red ball is not being affected by the gravity, but only by the other mass. This is consistent with Newton's Third Law of Motion: for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

The energy of the system is conserved, meaning that the total energy remains constant throughout the motion. So, when the red ball exerts a force on the other mass, it will experience the same force from the other mass in the opposite direction, resulting in the shifting of the system.

As for solving for the system, you can treat each ball as a separate spring problem and find the spring constant for each system. The spring constant is a measure of the force required to move the ball from its equilibrium position. You can calculate this by dividing the force applied to the ball by the displacement of the ball.

1. What is the Spring Problem with Two Masses Question?

The Spring Problem with Two Masses Question is a physics problem that involves a spring with two masses attached to it. The goal of the problem is to determine the motion of the masses and the spring when certain forces are applied.

2. What are the key concepts involved in solving the Spring Problem with Two Masses Question?

Some key concepts involved in solving the Spring Problem with Two Masses Question include Hooke's Law, conservation of energy, and Newton's laws of motion. It is also important to understand the properties of springs and how they behave under different forces.

3. How do I approach solving the Spring Problem with Two Masses Question?

To solve the Spring Problem with Two Masses Question, it is important to first draw a diagram and label all the forces acting on the system. Then, use the equations of motion and principles of physics to set up and solve the equations for the unknown quantities, such as the acceleration and displacement of the masses.

4. What are some common mistakes when solving the Spring Problem with Two Masses Question?

One common mistake when solving this problem is not considering all the forces acting on the system. It is important to include all forces, such as the force of gravity, tension in the spring, and any external forces. Another mistake is not properly setting up and solving the equations, which can lead to incorrect solutions.

5. How can I check if my solution to the Spring Problem with Two Masses Question is correct?

To check if your solution is correct, you can compare it to the known principles and equations of motion. You can also try plugging in your values to see if they result in the expected outcome. It is also helpful to have someone else review your solution to catch any potential errors.