GRE 75, orbits, satellites and their periods

In summary: P. In summary, the period of a hypothetical Earth satellite orbiting at sea level is 80 minutes, while the radius of a synchronous satellite orbit is mostly 7 times the Earth's radius. This can be determined using Kepler's third law, P^2 = a^3, where P represents the period and a is a multiple of Earth's radius. The answer can be calculated by finding the cube root of 18^2, which is a bit more than 6.
quantumworld
Here is a question that I am having a hard time understanding.

75) the period of a hypothetical Earth satellite orbiting at sea level would be 80 minutes. In terms of the Earth's radius Re, the radius of a synchronous satellite orbit ( period 24 hours) is mostly:
(A) 3 Re
(B) 7 Re
(C) 18 Re
(D) 320 Re
(E) 5800 Re
the answer is (B) 7 Re, but how is that, and I was surprised that it takes the Earth 24 hours to go around itself, but a satellite could make it in only 80 minutes . But most importantly is how did they get 7 Re for the answer, and I actually don't understand the question itself... :redface:

Thank u so much!

Physics news on Phys.org
For the 80 minutes (or 1.333hours) just think how fast something would have to be traveling around the Earth at sea level (ignore terrain) to stay in orbit (avoid crashing to the ground). It has to be crazy fast.

The ultimate equation to remember for that is that
R1^3 / T1^2 = R2^3 / T2^2

So r^3/T^2 is equal to some constant
therefor r^3 is proportional to T^2
So for the first part
Re^3 = k(constant)*(4/3 hrs)^2
solve for k
k = 9/16 Re^3

so plug that in for the higher orbit

X^3 = (9/16 Re^3) * (24 hours)^2
X^3 = (24*24*9/16)Re^3 = (1.5*24*9)Re^3 = 1.5*216*Re^3 = 324 Re^3
this is the tricky part I would guess. Its not exactly 7
you need to take the cubed root of 324. I would, here , just cube each of the answers and see wthich is the closest, which is 7 at (343).

Man am I DREADING this test in november.

quantumworld said:
Here is a question that I am having a hard time understanding.

75) the period of a hypothetical Earth satellite orbiting at sea level would be 80 minutes. In terms of the Earth's radius Re, the radius of a synchronous satellite orbit ( period 24 hours) is mostly:
(A) 3 Re
(B) 7 Re
(C) 18 Re
(D) 320 Re
(E) 5800 Re
the answer is (B) 7 Re, but how is that, and I was surprised that it takes the Earth 24 hours to go around itself, but a satellite could make it in only 80 minutes . But most importantly is how did they get 7 Re for the answer, and I actually don't understand the question itself... :redface:

Thank u so much!

Healey01 already provided the solution. It's important to know kepler's 3rd law: P^2 = a^3.

If we write your answer as a multiple N times Earth's radius, then we have

[itex] { 4/3 h \over 24 h}^2 = {R_E \over N R_E}^3 [/itex]

which gives
[itex] 18^2 = N^3 [/itex] or [itex] N= 18^{2/3}[/itex]. It's then easy to get the answer (for example, by writing [itex]18^2 = 27 \times 8 \times 1.5 [/itex] so the cube root is a bit more than 6).

Pat

1. What is GRE 75?

GRE 75 is a standardized test used for admission into graduate school programs in the United States. It measures a student's verbal reasoning, quantitative reasoning, and analytical writing skills.

2. How are orbits determined?

Orbits are determined by the amount of gravitational force between two objects, as well as their masses and distance from each other. This force is what keeps objects, such as satellites, in orbit around a larger object, such as the Earth.

3. What are satellites?

Satellites are objects that orbit around a larger object, such as a planet or star. They can be natural, like the Moon, or man-made, like communication or weather satellites.

4. How are satellite periods calculated?

The period of a satellite is the time it takes for the satellite to complete one orbit around its parent object. This can be calculated using Kepler's Third Law, which states that the square of a satellite's orbital period is proportional to the cube of its semi-major axis (the distance between the satellite and its parent object).

5. Why do satellites have different periods?

The period of a satellite is determined by its distance from its parent object. Satellites with larger semi-major axes will have longer periods, while those with smaller semi-major axes will have shorter periods. Additionally, the mass of the parent object can also affect the satellite's period.