Physics Problem: Satellites in Circular Orbits

In summary: I think Tenali is right.In summary, the conversation is discussing a physics problem involving a satellite in circular orbit around a planet. The distance between the centers of the planet and satellite is 3.70*10^8 m, and the mass of the planet is 3.93*10^24 kg. The goal is to find the period for the satellite's motion around the planet, expressed in Earth days. The formula T= (2pi)(r)^(3/2) divided by square root of GMe is being used, but the person is not getting the correct answer. Another person suggests using the equation for centripetal force equal to gravitational force and solving for velocity, which can then be used to calculate
shawonna23
A satellite orbits a planet at a distance of 3.70*10^8 m. Assume that this distance is between the centers of the planet and the satellite and that the mass of the planet is 3.93*10^24 kg. Find the period for the moon's motion around the earth. Express the answers in Earth days.

I tried using this equation: T= (2pi)(r)^(3/2) divided by square root of GMe
The answer I got wasn't right. Please Help!

Physics news on Phys.org
I know this sounds like a lot of work but if your equations aren't working right and nobody else gives an answer (I'll delete this if someone does) you can just set centripetal force equal to the gravitational force between two bodies (the mass of the moon cancels out so you don't need it but put it in as a constant first) and solve for the velocity. This velocity can then be used to calculate the period. Edit I would like to point out if you pull this off you will have derived the equation you were told to use.

Shawonna, show us your work using that formula, because it should work.

Physics Problem: Satellites in Circular Orbits

Here is my work:

T= 2*pi*(3.70*10^8)^(3/2) DIVIDED BY (6.67*10^-11)*(3.93*10^24)

i keep getting the wrong answer.

U sure the formula is right??
i have this feeling u missed a root somewhere
prolly sqrt(G)??

-- AI

I think Tenali is right. I don't see sqrt() in any of your work.

If you used the formula correctly, you should have got an answer in the order of 32 days.

1. What is a satellite in circular orbit?

A satellite in circular orbit is a man-made object that revolves around a larger celestial body, such as a planet or moon, in a circular path. This orbit is maintained by the gravitational pull of the celestial body and the satellite's own velocity.

2. How is the speed of a satellite in circular orbit determined?

The speed of a satellite in circular orbit is determined by its distance from the center of the celestial body it is orbiting. This speed can be calculated using the equation v = √(GM/r), where G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the celestial body, and r is the distance between the satellite and the center of the celestial body.

3. What is the relationship between the radius of a satellite's orbit and its speed?

The radius of a satellite's orbit and its speed have an inverse relationship. This means that as the radius of the orbit increases, the speed of the satellite decreases, and vice versa. This relationship is described by the equation v ∝ 1/√r.

4. How does the mass of the celestial body affect a satellite's orbit?

The mass of the celestial body has a direct effect on a satellite's orbit. A larger mass will result in a stronger gravitational pull, requiring a satellite to have a higher velocity in order to maintain a circular orbit. This means that the speed of a satellite in orbit around a larger celestial body will be greater than that of a satellite in orbit around a smaller celestial body.

5. Can a satellite in circular orbit change its speed?

Yes, a satellite in circular orbit can change its speed. This can be achieved by using thrusters or other propulsion systems to adjust the satellite's velocity. Changes in speed can also occur naturally due to external factors, such as atmospheric drag.