Taking Engineering Classes. eg. CBEE 211 (material balances and stoichiometry)

In summary: However, make sure you spend enough time on each step of the solution process so you don't make any mistakes.
Obelisk017
okay, Through lurking, I've gotten a better understanding of how to tackle math, physics, and chemistry classes. My question is then how would you tackle Engineering classes? namely my CBEE 211 class. I know the key is practice, but this class takes a ridiculous amount of time. It's nice to practice, but some of the assigned work takes forever. It's not uncommon (even for some really good students) to spend 6 hours + on the homework. I don't mind this, but usually, I'm taking other classes, that suffered because of this. How do I tackle such classes? It seems to be most effective to do the homework, do the practice exam, and hope for the best. I tried tackling other problems from the book, but I eventually gave up. It simply took too long, and the rest of my courses suffered for it. Is there a better way to tackle these classes? do I have to deprive myself of sleep in order to do good in this class, or do I rework the homework problems for a better understanding, do practice exam and hope for the best. The most cost effective seems to be to do the homework, redo the problems, do the practice exam, go over the class examples, then go do the exam, but I feel that this approach may be limited in the spectrum of things to learn so, I ask you Physics Forum, What do?

Physics news on Phys.org
Try to see if you can just set the problem up/write a flowchart for solving the problem, so you don't actually go through the tedium of actually solving the problem. Also, one can rip through many problems this way and actually get practice.

flow charts. Yeah. Our teacher demands that we do this for all of our assignments. I don't mean to whine, but even if we make a flow chart, it still takes a great while to complete.

I should also thank members of the physics forum for answering the questions that I have posted. It was rude of me not to acknowledge the previous help that I have gotten.

Obelisk017 said:
flow charts. Yeah. Our teacher demands that we do this for all of our assignments. I don't mean to whine, but even if we make a flow chart, it still takes a great while to complete.

However, it's still takes less time to write up a flowchart then it does to do the whole problem right? If you can gain enough practice doing the types of questions that are asked of you, then eventually you can look at the question, then formulate a plan in your head. After your have your mind made up, check the solution to see if you were on the right path.

Good luck. I know school can/is frustrating.

are you perhaps suggesting to 1) make a flow chart, ans then, 2) think about how to solve it, but not solve it, and check to see that it's right?

That's exactly what I think you should try.

1. What is the purpose of taking engineering classes like CBEE 211?

The purpose of taking engineering classes like CBEE 211 is to gain a strong foundation in fundamental engineering principles and concepts. This class specifically focuses on material balances and stoichiometry, which are essential skills for any engineering discipline. It will allow you to understand and solve complex problems related to mass and energy in different systems.

2. What topics will be covered in CBEE 211?

In CBEE 211, you will learn about material balances and stoichiometry, including topics such as conservation of mass, mole balances, reaction stoichiometry, and limiting reactants. You will also learn how to apply these concepts to solve problems related to chemical processes and systems.

3. Are there any prerequisites for taking CBEE 211?

Yes, there are usually prerequisites for taking engineering classes like CBEE 211. These prerequisites may vary depending on your university, but they typically include basic math and science courses such as calculus, chemistry, and physics. It is important to check with your academic advisor to make sure you have met all the necessary prerequisites before enrolling in this class.

4. How can I succeed in CBEE 211?

To succeed in CBEE 211, it is important to attend all lectures, take thorough notes, and actively participate in class discussions. It is also helpful to complete all assigned homework and practice problems to solidify your understanding of the material. Additionally, seeking help from your professor or TA and studying with classmates can also improve your chances of success in this class.

5. What career opportunities can a class like CBEE 211 lead to?

Taking engineering classes like CBEE 211 can lead to various career opportunities in fields such as chemical engineering, environmental engineering, process engineering, and materials science. These classes provide you with essential skills and knowledge that are highly valued in many industries, including pharmaceuticals, food and beverage production, renewable energy, and more.