How easy is to find a job as physicist

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of finding a job as a physicist and the speaker's interest in studying physics instead of IT. They mention that everyone around them says IT is the better option and that it may be hard to find a job in physics in Europe. They also mention their interest in working with atoms and wondering about opportunities at CERN. They clarify that they are interested in becoming a physicist, not a physician, and mention different branches of physics that have good job markets. They also mention the possibility of getting a Master's or PhD in engineering.
martin1512
Hi,
this may be quite stupid question but I have to ask... How easy is to find a job as physicist...

I am currently 18 and next year I'm ending my high school. I was considering to carry on studying IT or physics...As jounger I loved doing stuff with computers, but now I'm quite fed up with 0s and 1s and want to solve some real world mysteries:)... Everyone around me is always saying "IT is the best to study"...:There is no chance to get a good job as physicist"... I'd like to do something with those small brats called atoms ;)) (or anything smaller :P )

Yet I know only about CERN(but it wouldn't be easy to get job there)

So, would it be hard to find some solid job in Europe?

Thanks

Sorry for my english :/

[EDIT] ...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Physician = Medical Doctor.

You are thinking about a Physicist (a person with a degree in Physics). You can do IT if you're a Physics graduate, but if you're looking for a Physics path, then you should first choose a Physics branch. Condensed Matter has a market, same with Optics, Biophysics, or relatedareas. You also can get a Master degree or even a PhD in Engineering.

Ah yea, sorry, I was thinking about physicist...

Look up 'physician' and see if that corresponds to what you want to do.

Hey there, does anyone here know what you need in order to become a physician? If anyone can help out that would be great? I am mainly looking for information in the education field.

1. How many job opportunities are available for physicists?

The number of job opportunities for physicists may vary depending on the current job market and the specific field of physics. However, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, there were approximately 20,000 jobs for physicists in the United States in 2020.

2. What industries typically employ physicists?

Physicists can be employed in a variety of industries, including research and development, aerospace and defense, healthcare, energy, and education. They may also work in government agencies, such as NASA or the Department of Energy.

3. Is it difficult to find a job as a physicist?

It can depend on the individual's qualifications and the current job market, but in general, it may be more challenging to find a job as a physicist compared to other fields. The competition for positions may be high, and many employers may require advanced degrees and specialized skills.

4. What skills and qualifications are needed to be a successful physicist?

To be a successful physicist, one typically needs a strong background in mathematics and physics, as well as critical thinking and problem-solving skills. Many employers also look for individuals with experience in data analysis, computer programming, and laboratory work. A graduate degree, such as a Master's or Ph.D., is often required for advanced positions.

5. Are job prospects for physicists expected to grow in the future?

According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, job opportunities for physicists are projected to grow by 5% from 2020 to 2030, which is about as fast as the average for all occupations. However, the specific job outlook may vary depending on the field of physics and the demand for specific skills and expertise.