What is the different between thin-film PV cell and crystalline silicon PV cell?

In summary, thin-film PV cells and crystalline silicon PV cells are two different types of solar cells that use the same material, silicon, but differ in their fabrication process. Crystalline silicon cells involve cutting a large silicon pillar into small wafers, while thin-film cells use a different production method. The tradeoffs between the two methods include advantages such as higher efficiency for crystalline cells, but at a higher cost. Additionally, multi-junction PV cells can belong to either thin-film or crystalline type, depending on their fabrication process.
linklink
What is the different between thin-film PV cell and crystalline silicon PV cell?
Are they using the same material but just differ in the fabrication process?

Does a multi-junction PV cell belongs to thin-film or crystalline type?

Engineering news on Phys.org
linklink said:
Are they using the same material but just differ in the fabrication process?

Does a multi-junction PV cell belongs to thin-film or crystalline type?

There certainly is a big difference in fabrication. Can you tell us what that difference is, and what are the tradeoffs in doing it the two different ways?

What I know is, for crystalline silicon, we will first make a big pillar of silicon, then cut it into pieces (wafer). Something have to be done to the wafer but I don't know what is it exactly. And finally cut the wafer into small chips.

I totally know nothing about thin-film, but then I guess both of them are using the same material with different production method.

linklink said:
What I know is, for crystalline silicon, we will first make a big pillar of silicon, then cut it into pieces (wafer). Something have to be done to the wafer but I don't know what is it exactly. And finally cut the wafer into small chips.

I totally know nothing about thin-film, but then I guess both of them are using the same material with different production method.

Very good. You are on the right track. Please use wikipedia and Google to research this more. Cutting Si wafers from pure crystalline boules gives you what advantages? At what cost?

What is the difference between thin-film PV cell and crystalline silicon PV cell?

The main difference between thin-film PV cells and crystalline silicon PV cells is the type of material used to convert sunlight into electricity. Thin-film PV cells use a very thin layer of photovoltaic material, such as cadmium telluride or amorphous silicon, while crystalline silicon PV cells use a thicker layer of silicon.

Which type of PV cell is more efficient?

In general, crystalline silicon PV cells have a higher efficiency than thin-film PV cells. This is because crystalline silicon is a more efficient material for converting sunlight into electricity. However, thin-film PV cells are improving in efficiency and can be more cost-effective in certain applications.

Are there any cost differences between the two types of PV cells?

Yes, there are cost differences between thin-film PV cells and crystalline silicon PV cells. Thin-film PV cells are typically less expensive to produce because they use less material and can be manufactured using less energy. However, the higher efficiency of crystalline silicon PV cells may make them more cost-effective in the long run.

What are some advantages of thin-film PV cells?

One advantage of thin-film PV cells is their flexibility. They can be made into flexible, lightweight sheets, making them ideal for applications where traditional PV cells may not be suitable. Thin-film PV cells also perform better in low-light conditions and have a lower temperature coefficient, meaning they are less affected by high temperatures.

What are some advantages of crystalline silicon PV cells?

Crystalline silicon PV cells have a longer lifespan than thin-film PV cells and are more efficient in converting sunlight into electricity. They also have a higher power output per square meter, making them more suitable for applications where space is limited. Additionally, crystalline silicon PV cells have a proven track record and are widely used in the solar industry.