Constraining final energies of neutron in nuclei interaction

In summary: He}v_{He}^{2}-2.8 MeV\right)This shows that there are two possible energies for the neutrons, one for each sign in front of the term in parentheses. In summary, a thin target of lithium bombarded by helium nuclei with energy E0 can produce neutrons through a nuclear reaction. The minimum value of E0 for which neutrons can be produced is 4.4 MeV, and at this threshold energy, the neutrons have an energy of 0.15 MeV. If the incident energy is in the range between the threshold energy and 4.67 MeV, the neutrons ejected in
Order

Homework Statement

A thin target of lithium is bombarded by helium nuclei of energy E0. The lithium nuclei are initially at rest in the target but are essentially unbound. When a Helium nucleus enters a lithium nucleus, a nuclear reaction can occur in which the compound necleus splits apart into a boron nucleus and a neutron. The collision is inelastic, and the final kinetic energy is less than E0 by 2.8 MeV. The relative masses of the particles are: helium, mass 4; lithium, mass 7; boron, mass 10; neutron, mass1. The reaction can be symbolized [tex]^{7}Li+^{4}He \to ^{10}B+^{1}n-2.8MeV[/tex]

a. What is E0,threshold the minimum value of E0 for which neutrons can be produced? What is the energy of the neutrons at this threshold?

b. Show that if the incident energy falls in the range E0,threshold<E0<E0,threshold+0,27 MeV, the neutrons ejected in the forward direction do not all have the same energy, but must have either on or the other of two possible energies. (You can understand the origin of the two groups by looking at the reaction in the center of mass system.)

Homework Equations

Ei=Ef

pi=pf

[tex]\frac{\partial E_{f}}{\partial v_{B}}=0[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

To solve a is a snap. (Ok, it took me a few hours.) I have [tex]E_{i}=E_{0}=2mv_{He}^{2}[/tex] [tex]E_{f}=E_{0}-2.8MeV=5mv_{B}^{2}+\frac{1}{2}mv_{n}^{2}[/tex] [tex]p_{i}=4mv_{He}\hat{i}[/tex] [tex]p_{f}=(10mv_{B}\cos\theta_{B}+mv_{n}cos\theta_{n})\hat{i}+(10mv_{B}\sin\theta_{B}+mv_{n}cos\theta_{n})\hat{j}[/tex]
To get a minimum energy i choose [tex]\theta_{B}=\theta_{n}=0[/tex] which gives
[tex]p_{f}=(10mv_{B}+mv_{n})\hat{i}[/tex] Now I solve out vn from the momentum conservation and put it into the energy equation and then use [tex]\frac{\partial E_{f}}{\partial v_{B}}=0[/tex] to find the minimum energy. Then I put it into the Ef equation and get E0=4,4 MeV and the neutron energy is 0,15 MeV.

b. To try to solve this problem I use the momentum conservation to break out [tex]v_{b}=\frac{4v_{He}-v_{n}}{10}[/tex] and put it into the energy equation to get [tex]\frac{11}{20}v_{n}^{2}-\frac{2}{5}v_{He}v_{n}-\frac{6}{5}v_{He}^{2}+2.8 MeV=0[/tex] i solve out [tex]v_{n}=\frac{4}{11}v_{He} \pm \frac{1}{\sqrt{m}}\sqrt{ \frac{140}{121} E_{0}-\frac{56}{11}MeV}[/tex] Now at the threshold energy the second term is zero, so that is one limit, but the other limit at +0,27 MeV is difficult for me to see. Also, I guess that the boron goes in the other direction with the plus sign, and you don't have to look at the center of mass system to understand that.

Physics news on Phys.org

To fully understand the two possible energies for the neutrons, we need to look at the reaction in the center of mass (CM) system. In this system, the total momentum is zero, so we can equate the initial and final momenta:

p_{i}=p_{f}=0

This means that the momenta of the boron and neutron must be equal and opposite in direction, so we can write:

p_{B}=-p_{n}

We can also write the energy equation in the CM system:

E_{i}=E_{f}

Since the initial energy is simply the kinetic energy of the helium nucleus, we can write:

E_{i}=E_{0}

For the final energy, we can use the fact that the total kinetic energy of the system must be conserved, so we can write:

\frac{1}{2}m_{B}v_{B}^{2}+\frac{1}{2}m_{n}v_{n}^{2}=\frac{1}{2}m_{He}v_{He}^{2}-2.8 MeV

Now, using the fact that p_{B}=-p_{n}, we can write:

m_{B}v_{B}=-m_{n}v_{n}

Substituting this into the energy equation, we get:

\frac{1}{2}m_{B}v_{B}^{2}+\frac{1}{2}m_{n}v_{n}^{2}=\frac{1}{2}m_{He}v_{He}^{2}-2.8 MeV

\frac{1}{2}m_{B}v_{B}^{2}+\frac{1}{2}m_{B}^{2}\left(\frac{v_{B}}{m_{n}}\right)^{2}=\frac{1}{2}m_{He}v_{He}^{2}-2.8 MeV

Solving for v_{B}, we get:

v_{B}=\frac{m_{n}}{m_{B}+m_{n}}v_{He}

Now, if we substitute this back into the energy equation, we get:

\frac{1}{2}m_{n}v_{n}^{2}=\left(\frac{m_{n}}{m_{B}+m_{n}}

1. What is the purpose of constraining final energies of neutrons in nuclei interaction?

The purpose of constraining final energies of neutrons in nuclei interaction is to understand the energy transfer that occurs during the interaction. This information is important in studying nuclear reactions and nuclear structure.

2. How is the final energy of a neutron in nuclei interaction determined?

The final energy of a neutron in nuclei interaction is determined by measuring the energy of the outgoing particles, such as protons, gamma rays, or other particles. This can be done through experiments or simulations.

3. Can the final energy of a neutron in nuclei interaction be controlled?

No, the final energy of a neutron in nuclei interaction cannot be controlled. It is determined by the properties of the interacting nuclei and the laws of physics.

4. How does constraining the final energy of a neutron affect the nuclear reaction?

Constraining the final energy of a neutron can change the type of nuclear reaction that occurs. For example, a lower final energy may result in a fusion reaction, while a higher final energy may lead to a fission reaction.

5. What are some techniques used to constrain the final energy of a neutron in nuclei interaction?

Some techniques used to constrain the final energy of a neutron in nuclei interaction include using detectors to measure the outgoing particles, analyzing the kinematics of the reaction, and performing calculations based on the conservation of energy and momentum.