Relationship between Kinetic Energy and Gravitational Potential Energy.

In summary, the individual is enrolled in an access to higher education course for physics, but is struggling with a simple problem regarding the calculation of kinetic energy, maximum gain of potential energy, and maximum height gain of a ball thrown upwards. They attempt to use equations and assumptions, but are unsure of their accuracy and apologize for their lack of understanding. Another individual offers help and clarifies that the ball does not gain or lose energy in flight due to the conservative nature of gravity. They also suggest using a kinematic equation to verify the energy calculations. Overall, the individual is seeking assistance with the problem.
Craptola
Hello, having had an interest in physics for a while I recently enrolled on an access to higher education course to study it. Unfortunately I seem to have fallen at the first hurdle. First off I'd like to apologise profoundly and profusely for the simple problem you are about to read, but I have litterally just started the course and don't know much. So today I went to my first lecture, I thought it was going well and I fully understood everything that was being said but then came the homework, I was given the following problem and am strugling to understand where I was going wrong.

Homework Statement

g=9.81
A ball of mass 0.5 kg was thrown directly upwards at a speed of 6.0m/s Calculate:
A) Its kinetic energy.
B) Its maximum gain of potential energy.
C) Its maximum height gain.

Homework Equations

A) KE = 1/2mv^2
B) (assumption) Conservation of energy laws.
C) (assumption) GPE = mgh

The Attempt at a Solution

A) Easy enough KE=1/2mv^2 Giving me 0.5 x 0.5 x 36 = 9J

B) The only formula I'd been given in the class or on any of the handouts for Gravitational potential energy was GPE = mgh, seeing as I (as far as I'm aware) cannot determine the height from the given values it must have something to do with the conservation of energy law. Since there was no stated air resistance I have to assume that it is negligable and therefore when the ball reaches its peak and the loss of kinetic energy is 9J the gain in potential energy must also be 9J.

C) Here I figured that I could calculate the height by rearranging GPE = mgh to
h = GPE/mg (I'm not sure if this is the correct way to rearrange this formula, this may be my mistake) the resultant equation gives me an irrational number (rounded to 1.84).

Once again I apologise for the very simple problem I'm having but I can't really see where I've gone wrong. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi..
The answer is well poised within your first, solved, query;
All of the energy the ball has, is its initial Kinetic energy, granted to it by the throw; that's all!
Since the gravitational field is conservative, the ball doesn't gain anything and(assuming there's no air resistance) doesn't lose any of it in flight...
So you have your answer!
Daniel
P.S
You can also compute the height kinematically, by using [itex] {v_f}^2 = {v_0}^2-2gh [/itex], where v_f =0, and v_0 is your initial velocity; Verify your energy considerations with that...
And you haven't gone wrong...!

Last edited:

1. What is the relationship between kinetic energy and gravitational potential energy?

The relationship between kinetic energy and gravitational potential energy is that they are both forms of energy that an object possesses due to its position and motion. Kinetic energy is the energy an object has due to its motion, while gravitational potential energy is the energy an object has due to its position in a gravitational field. They are both types of mechanical energy and can be converted into each other.

2. How are kinetic energy and gravitational potential energy related mathematically?

The mathematical relationship between kinetic energy and gravitational potential energy can be represented by the equation: KE = mgh, where m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the object with respect to a reference point. This equation shows that as the height of the object increases, so does its gravitational potential energy. As the object falls and its height decreases, its gravitational potential energy is converted into kinetic energy.

3. How does the relationship between kinetic energy and gravitational potential energy apply to real-life scenarios?

In real-life scenarios, the relationship between kinetic energy and gravitational potential energy can be observed in a wide range of situations. For example, a roller coaster at the top of a hill has high gravitational potential energy due to its height. As it goes down the hill, this potential energy is converted into kinetic energy, which makes the roller coaster move faster. This same concept can be seen in everyday activities such as throwing a ball in the air or dropping an object from a height.

4. Can the relationship between kinetic energy and gravitational potential energy be altered?

Yes, the relationship between kinetic energy and gravitational potential energy can be altered by changing the mass or height of the object. The greater the mass or height, the higher the potential energy and the greater the kinetic energy when the object is in motion. Additionally, external forces such as air resistance or friction can also affect the conversion of energy between the two forms.

5. What is the significance of understanding the relationship between kinetic energy and gravitational potential energy?

Understanding the relationship between kinetic energy and gravitational potential energy is important in many fields, such as physics, engineering, and mechanics. It helps explain how objects move and interact with each other in a gravitational field. This knowledge is also essential in designing and optimizing systems, such as roller coasters, where the conversion of energy between kinetic and potential is crucial for its functioning.