Women are crazy. Interpret this text exchange for me, please

In summary, the conversation revolves around a disagreement between a man and his girlfriend regarding breakfast plans. The man declines her offer to cook breakfast, leading to her feeling upset and him feeling like he did nothing wrong. The man seeks opinions from others, including his sister and a class textbook, on the situation and the idea of women being indirect and passive. The conversation concludes with opinions on the behavior and expectations of men and women in relationships.
It might be appropriate to look at this in an entirely objective way, and recognise that it is an evolutionary mechanism by which a female checks the committment of males to her, and, thus by implication, her offspring. She needs to be confident that you will put her needs, and the needs of your offspring, before your own. Females appears to be unaware that they are even doing this.

Given the ease with which the male may go off to find another mate which may leave the female in a highly vulnerable situation, it is not unreasonable that the 'testing' is asymmetric. It is a proxy test to see if you are prepared to drop what you are doing to attend to her and your progeny.

It is therefore always a 'set-up' job that you can only either complete to a 'satisfactory' or 'fail' status. There is no good outcome! It is a 'false test' in that regard as it is only intended to be a facimile of 'required committment' that she would demand in the future, after successful mating.

Summary; it was a dress-rehearsal for family life, and [to her standards] you flunked.

Physics news on Phys.org
cmb said:
Summary; it was a dress-rehearsal for family life, and [to her standards] you flunked.
Yes. Unfortunately, I suspect that's exactly what many people are hypothesizing - which may be what's activating alarm bells.

The other side of the coin is: if you want a smooth relationship. don't over-dramatize incidents more than necessary. Sometimes breakfast is just breakfast.

Maybe she was suffering from PMS!

Evo said:
Yep. His feelings, or lack of, for her right now doesn't change her going psycho on him about breakfast.
Sure it does.

Likely this isn't the first time he's been a (self-professed) jerk to her. Maybe she's almost fed up.

You have to concede that trying to (second-hand) analyze the actions of an almost fed up person - as told by the one doing the exacerbating - and in an otherwise in a vacuum of context - certainly lends itself to a biased assessment of who's nuts and who isn't.

Would you be convinced that Richard Dawkins is nuts, based on a ten line text exchange - with no other context - that Billy Graham posted? (Ooh. Except the subject line reading "Dawkins is crazy") Sure, that's not biased...

DaveC426913 said:
Sure it does.

Likely this isn't the first time he's been a (self-professed) jerk to her. Maybe she's almost fed up.

You have to concede that trying to (second-hand) analyze the actions of an almost fed up person - as told by the one doing the exacerbating - and in an otherwise in a vacuum of context - certainly lends itself to a biased assessment of who's nuts and who isn't.

Would you be convinced that Richard Dawkins is nuts, based on a ten line text exchange - with no other context - that Billy Graham posted? (Ooh. Except the subject line reading "Dawkins is crazy") Sure, that's not biased...
It would depend if Dawkin's offered to make breakfast. :wink:

I've known many girls/women that displayed this exact behavior, and they all were *nutty*. So, I'm just going by my personal experience of knowing too many of these types. Known a few men that were similar too.

cmb said:
It might be appropriate to look at this in an entirely objective way, and recognise that it is an evolutionary mechanism by which a female checks the committment of males to her, and, thus by implication, her offspring. She needs to be confident that you will put her needs, and the needs of your offspring, before your own. Females appears to be unaware that they are even doing this.

Given the ease with which the male may go off to find another mate which may leave the female in a highly vulnerable situation, it is not unreasonable that the 'testing' is asymmetric. It is a proxy test to see if you are prepared to drop what you are doing to attend to her and your progeny.

It is therefore always a 'set-up' job that you can only either complete to a 'satisfactory' or 'fail' status. There is no good outcome! It is a 'false test' in that regard as it is only intended to be a facimile of 'required committment' that she would demand in the future, after successful mating.

Well, she DID almost break up with me when I opined that I wished I was sterile, and that I can't see myself ever wanting kids (though I did offer the caveat that I can't predict the future and if I changed my mind it wouldn't be the first time on the subject). You might be on to something there.

Lisa! said:
Maybe she was suffering from PMS!

No, that should be next week.

Well you're quite obviously the wrong type of jerk and/or generally not smooth enough.

Your first response to her had a ".. and by the way I totally don't care that you even would make me breakfast at all, also I don't care enough to give you a reason." swinging with it.

My girlfriend would get upset about the way answered too. The answer "Sorry I really don't want to get up that early because *insert a reason, like you're grumpy when you get up early or you want to get enough sleep before a long day*, but thanks for the offer" is no problem at all.

Thing is, no one wants a mushy feely-touchy guy, but when you are stating your interests (sleeping longer) while showing that you at least understand the spirit of the offer is often a diplomatic and smooth way to handle the subject. I'm generally quite rude and a jerk in general but you can't be like this AND be stonecold AND expect it to work. Every jerk needs at least a bit of diplomatic skills with women that are not all into being exploited.

Also announcing the time of her period in public may not do any actual damage, but doing something like that with my privacy would make me furious to say the least.

cmb said:
It might be appropriate to look at this in an entirely objective way

Objective and women don't work.

(With excuses to those women who are outliers.)

MarcoD said:
Objective and women don't work.

(With excuses to those women who are outliers.)

Hm. Equal parts sexist and generalizing...

SamirS said:
Well you're quite obviously the wrong type of jerk and/or generally not smooth enough.

Your first response to her had a ".. and by the way I totally don't care that you even would make me breakfast at all, also I don't care enough to give you a reason." swinging with it.

My girlfriend would get upset about the way answered too. The answer "Sorry I really don't want to get up that early because *insert a reason, like you're grumpy when you get up early or you want to get enough sleep before a long day*, but thanks for the offer" is no problem at all.

Thing is, no one wants a mushy feely-touchy guy, but when you are stating your interests (sleeping longer) while showing that you at least understand the spirit of the offer is often a diplomatic and smooth way to handle the subject. I'm generally quite rude and a jerk in general but you can't be like this AND be stonecold AND expect it to work. Every jerk needs at least a bit of diplomatic skills with women that are not all into being exploited.

Also announcing the time of her period in public may not do any actual damage, but doing something like that with my privacy would make me furious to say the least.
I'm going to assume that you don't know much English and you don't realize that "jerk" is an insult. Don't use the word when referring to another member again.

Evo said:
I'm going to assume that you don't know much English and you don't realize that "jerk" is an insult. Don't use the word when referring to another member again.

As this characterization (with exactly that word) was used on this very page of the thread by an established and renowned forum member about a week ago without reprehension by a moderator, and is quite often used in American pop culture not as an insult but as a word for someone not very respecting of someone else's feeling but not actually damaging someone or something, I do not recognize this as an actual insult, no, even though I'm not entirely unfamiliar with the English language.

But I'll follow your advice.

DaveC426913 said:
Hm. Equal parts sexist and generalizing...

Most people are sexist in the sense that they acknowledge there's a difference between the sexes. I personally find it astounding that people want women in high position claiming full equality of the sexes, and at the same time claim that 'a women's touch' to leadership is beneficial to an organization. Note, I'm not against anything, but at least get your assumptions right.

Don't blame me for things you probably assume yourself.

I like Serena said:
Look at it from her side.
She wanted to have breakfast together.
She looked forward to it and assumed you would like it too.
When you said no, she felt disappointed and perhaps a little rejected.
It doesn't really matter why you said no, she would still feel disappointed.
Explaining things rationally has little effect on feelings.

I think she needs to learn not to have too strong expectations.
And I don't think that for you there is really a "right way" to handle it.
Perhaps you could have been a little more diplomatic, considering how she may feel.
It certainly doesn't help to go defensive about it.

I agree with all of this except that explaining things rationally has little effect on feelings. Mr. OP, you probably should have given a nicer rejection. Something like, "Hey that's really sweet of you, but I'm feeling pretty tired tonight and I want to squeeze out every last ounce of sleep that I can get." Women in general I'd say want reinforcement. A lot of their esteem is based off of the exchange compliments and recognition. Thats why they're in a relationship with you, and as stupid as it sounds, its just the way it is. Even you telling her how sweet she was would be enough for her to feel appreciated, which is all she really wants. She feels like you shrugged off her gesture, which you did, and now she's upset. This type of thing has been a problem in a few of my relationships, as I find it hard to deal with large gaps in sensitivity between my girlfriends and I.

MarcoD said:
Most people are sexist

Don't blame me for things you probably assume yourself.

And ... another two generalizations.

okay, how many women are responding here? men tend to think in the opposite direction women do. she most likely wanted to sleep in, too, and think about what she would have done for you. laboring over eggs and waffles:biggrin: thinking all the while that she's sweating into her breakfast for you. :!):!):yuck::rofl:

ps i am female and duh we're crazy!:devil:teehee

maggiemaeu said:
okay, how many women are responding here? men tend to think in the opposite direction women do. she most likely wanted to sleep in, too, and think about what she would have done for you. laboring over eggs and waffles:biggrin: thinking all the while that she's sweating into her breakfast for you. :!):!):yuck::rofl:

ps i am female and duh we're crazy!:devil:teehee
I am female and I take offense at your post's insinuation. (nothing personal) Women are not by default ditzy and emotionally unstable, and I dislike the negative stereotype.

Evo said:
I am female and I take offense at your post's insinuation. (nothing personal) Women are not by default ditzy and emotionally unstable, and I dislike the negative stereotype.

I have no idea what the insinuation was. Not sure what parts are sincere and what parts are sarcastic.

Evo said:

whoa, whoa. not like that. no insults intended, it was supposed to be all in good fun. i mean, who isn't crazy these days? in some way. again, meant in a harmless way. being crazy could mean being creative. crazy is a compliment!:blushing:

DaveC426913 said:
And ... another two generalizations.

Bull, I claimed that most people are sexist in the sense that they accept there are differences between the sexes. That's not even a generalization, since I didn't claim everyone is sexist, and I think I can rightfully claim so.

The question is: Do you think there's a difference between the sexes?

(My personal opinion is that the sexes have equal rights, but are different. I just don't fret on it.)

Last edited by a moderator:
MarcoD said:
Bull, I claimed that most people are sexist in the sense that they accept there are differences between the sexes. That's not even a generalization

You're right, it's not. It's not even sexist. It's simply saying that most people are thoughtful about the subject. So why would you label that as 'sexist'?

DaveC426913 said:
You're right, it's not. It's not even sexist. It's simply saying that most people are thoughtful about the subject. So why would you label that as 'sexist'?

I live in a 'feminine' society. The double standards annoy me, so whenever I feel something is 'sexist,' I'll rather label it such and face it directly.

MarcoD said:
I live in a 'feminine' society. The double standards annoy me, so whenever I feel something is 'sexist,' I'll rather label it such and face it directly.

But it isn't sexist.

"...most people ... accept there are differences between the sexes" is not a sexist statement.

maggiemaeu said:
whoa, whoa. not like that. no insults intended, it was supposed to be all in good fun. i mean, who isn't crazy these days? in some way. again, meant in a harmless way. being crazy could mean being creative. crazy is a compliment!:blushing:
Ok, I over-reacted. I just am the world's most boring person, there isn't a wild and crazy cell in my body. My idea of cutting loose and going crazy is buying a roasting chicken that's not on sale.

DaveC426913 said:
But it isn't sexist.

I agree, in the sense that 'sexist' usually also implies superiority. But I am strict egalitarian, labeling things 'sexist,' exposes the double standards often used; I have no other labels to use for that, since 'feminist,' is usually a positive label.

Evo said:
Ok, I over-reacted. I just am the world's most boring person, there isn't a wild and crazy cell in my body. My idea of cutting loose and going crazy is buying a roasting chicken that's not on sale.
You're just very creative. :biggrin:

I actually may be more boring.

Evo said:

oh, thank goodness. I've been getting lots of bad comments telling me i did something wrong. maybe its just because i (in theory) haven't the slightest idea what I'm doing.

and the chicken thing isn't that bad:smile:very creative, though.

:wink:

by the by this woman in question seems like the bad side of crazy. took the overreaction thing to a whole new level. i mean, how are waffles that important? she was spending the whole day with him. i couldn't wait to leave my ex's house-hence ex.

maggiemaeu said:
...i mean, how are waffles that important?
Kind of missing the point. As did the OP.

If one is going to spend an hour making breakfast for someone, and then gets blown off, it's not about the waffles.

We have way too many communication breakdowns.

She has been pestering me to see the new Twilight movie when it comes out. I have no interest in it, and have repeatedly told her no, and that I'm sure one of her friends and fellow Twilight fans would see it with her. So last night, she started asking me to go again. I must have told her no 10 times last night. Eventually, she got quiet and we continued watching the TV show. After a few minutes of silence, she walks upstairs and lays down in her bed without saying a word.

After she's not back in 10 minutes and it's time for me to leave (I had a lab report to write last night, due today), I go up and see her laying in her bed, and I assume that she did that because she was mad about the Twilight thing. This puts me in a foul mood, and I don't give her a goodnight kiss before I leave. She texted me after I got home and asked if something has been bothering me, to which I responded that her continuously bugging me about Twilight, and then running upstairs without saying a word is bothering me.

She responds this morning with a 5 page text message explaining that her back pain was acting up and that's why she left. And she wasn't mad about Twilight, she was just teasing me. So now, I feel like a jerk for not comforting her when she was in pain, but to be fair, she gave me no indication that that's why she went to bed. She could have said something as she was leaving. And the way she was talking about seeing Twilight sure didn't feel like teasing; it sounded like she was being serious and getting seriously upset about it.

So, I don't know. We just don't know how to communicate with one another, I guess.

Jack21222 said:
We have way too many communication breakdowns.

She has been pestering me to see the new Twilight movie when it comes out. I have no interest in it, and have repeatedly told her no, and that I'm sure one of her friends and fellow Twilight fans would see it with her. So last night, she started asking me to go again. I must have told her no 10 times last night. Eventually, she got quiet and we continued watching the TV show. After a few minutes of silence, she walks upstairs and lays down in her bed without saying a word.

After she's not back in 10 minutes and it's time for me to leave (I had a lab report to write last night, due today), I go up and see her laying in her bed, and I assume that she did that because she was mad about the Twilight thing. This puts me in a foul mood, and I don't give her a goodnight kiss before I leave. She texted me after I got home and asked if something has been bothering me, to which I responded that her continuously bugging me about Twilight, and then running upstairs without saying a word is bothering me.

She responds this morning with a 5 page text message explaining that her back pain was acting up and that's why she left. And she wasn't mad about Twilight, she was just teasing me. So now, I feel like a jerk for not comforting her when she was in pain, but to be fair, she gave me no indication that that's why she went to bed. She could have said something as she was leaving. And the way she was talking about seeing Twilight sure didn't feel like teasing; it sounded like she was being serious and getting seriously upset about it.

So, I don't know. We just don't know how to communicate with one another, I guess.

Oh that's way, way too much drama.

If it's not too personal - how old are you both? And is this the first serious relationship for either of you?

If it means so much to her, just go see the movie. You should make some sacrafices for the people you love. Seeing a stupid movie is one of them.

Yeah, its about compromise. if something mean that much to her, and she wants to share it with you, then just go along and try to enjoy it for her sake! you shouldn't assume you know what she's thinking either - if you are not sure why she went upstairs, ask her what's bothering HER. It seems you always just think about what you want, and think the worst of her. She doesn't sounds crazy at all, if anything, she sounds like she's in love with you and wants to spend all her time doing things with you. You could have it so much worse! you should treat her better and appreciate her more.

nucleargirl said:
you should treat her better and appreciate her more.

Quoted for truth

and its really not very good of you to complain about her and call her crazy behind her back... I think, if you don't start appreciating her, eventually she will leave you. And then you will regret it.

In all fairness to the OP, I would never ever go see twilight. Its made specifically for teenage girls.

And Jack, she wasn't teasing you about twilight. She really wanted to go see it with you, and that IS why she went up to bed. She thought about it and realized that she was being kind of silly so she decided that it wasn't worth it. She told you that she was teasing you because that's how she feels about it now. I think she realized that she might be too sensitive sometimes and wants to try to see it your way, and not take things so personally. I don't really have information to back all/any of this up, but it's just an opinion:)

<h2>1. Why do people say "women are crazy"?</h2><p>This phrase is often used as a stereotype or generalization about women's behavior. It is based on societal expectations and gender roles that have historically portrayed women as overly emotional or irrational.</p><h2>2. Is it true that all women are crazy?</h2><p>No, this statement is not true. It is important to recognize that everyone, regardless of gender, has different emotions and reactions to situations. It is unfair and inaccurate to label an entire group of people as "crazy."</p><h2>3. How should I interpret this text exchange that includes the phrase "women are crazy"?</h2><p>The interpretation of this text exchange may vary depending on the context and tone of the conversation. It is important to consider the intent behind the use of this phrase and to avoid perpetuating harmful stereotypes.</p><h2>4. Why is it harmful to use the phrase "women are crazy"?</h2><p>Using this phrase reinforces negative stereotypes and can contribute to discrimination and unequal treatment of women. It also dismisses the individual experiences and emotions of women and undermines their credibility.</p><h2>5. What are some alternative ways to express frustration or confusion instead of saying "women are crazy"?</h2><p>Instead of using harmful stereotypes, it is important to communicate clearly and directly about your feelings and concerns. Using statements like "I am feeling frustrated" or "I don't understand" can help to avoid perpetuating harmful language and attitudes.</p>

1. Why do people say "women are crazy"?

This phrase is often used as a stereotype or generalization about women's behavior. It is based on societal expectations and gender roles that have historically portrayed women as overly emotional or irrational.

2. Is it true that all women are crazy?

No, this statement is not true. It is important to recognize that everyone, regardless of gender, has different emotions and reactions to situations. It is unfair and inaccurate to label an entire group of people as "crazy."

3. How should I interpret this text exchange that includes the phrase "women are crazy"?

The interpretation of this text exchange may vary depending on the context and tone of the conversation. It is important to consider the intent behind the use of this phrase and to avoid perpetuating harmful stereotypes.

4. Why is it harmful to use the phrase "women are crazy"?

Using this phrase reinforces negative stereotypes and can contribute to discrimination and unequal treatment of women. It also dismisses the individual experiences and emotions of women and undermines their credibility.

5. What are some alternative ways to express frustration or confusion instead of saying "women are crazy"?

Instead of using harmful stereotypes, it is important to communicate clearly and directly about your feelings and concerns. Using statements like "I am feeling frustrated" or "I don't understand" can help to avoid perpetuating harmful language and attitudes.