What are the different methods for calculating satellite altitude?

In summary, calculating the altitude of a satellite can be done using a variety of methods such as pressure, gravity, and sensors like accelerometers. Satellites may also use Earth sensors, sun sensors, star trackers, directed antennas, lasers from the ground, and GPS for this purpose. However, it is not possible to use acceleration as a means of determining altitude for a satellite.
trunet
Hi,

I'd like to know how it's possible to calculate the altitude of a satellite using some kind sensor.

I know that near-space(28~30km) you can still read a very low pressure so I can calculate the altitude using pressure. But and after this? I read that you can use gravity so, can I use an accelerometer? How's the math/formulas on this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Radar?

A satellite can't feel any acceleration so that's not going to work afaik.

Satellites will typically use some combination of Earth sensors, sun sensors, star trackers, directed antennas or lasers from the ground, and accelerometers. Low Earth orbit also gives you the ability to use GPS.

1. What is a satellite altitude sensor?

A satellite altitude sensor is a piece of technology that is used to measure the distance between a satellite and the Earth's surface. It is an essential component of satellite systems and helps to monitor and control the altitude of a satellite in orbit.

2. How does a satellite altitude sensor work?

A satellite altitude sensor uses different methods to determine the distance between the satellite and the Earth's surface. This can include using radar, lasers, or other types of sensors. The sensor measures the time it takes for a signal to travel from the satellite to the surface and back, and then calculates the distance based on the speed of light.

3. Why is a satellite altitude sensor important?

A satellite altitude sensor is important because it helps to ensure the proper functioning and positioning of a satellite in orbit. It also helps to maintain the correct altitude to optimize communication, imaging, and other operations performed by the satellite.

4. What are some common uses of satellite altitude sensors?

Satellite altitude sensors are used in various applications, including weather forecasting, navigation, remote sensing, and communication. They are also used in military and scientific research to study the Earth's surface and atmosphere.

5. What are the advantages of using a satellite altitude sensor?

The main advantage of using a satellite altitude sensor is its ability to accurately measure the distance between a satellite and the Earth's surface. This helps to ensure the satellite's stability and allows for precise positioning and control. Satellite altitude sensors also provide real-time data, making them essential for various applications and research purposes.