Help with plotting vector fields

In summary: The slope field will be automatically plotted.In summary, to plot a vector field of a first-order system, you need to select various points and plot the vector from the resulting point. The vectors represent slopes, so you can draw a small line with the corresponding slope at each point. To check your work, you can use a tool like Mathematica's StreamPlot function.
smithnya
I'm having difficulty plotting a vector field of a first-order system. I understand that I am supposed to select various points, "plug" them into the equations, and then plot the vector from the resulting point. But how do I know in which way the vector is pointing? Once I get the point from which the vector will originate, how do I decide in which direction to point that vector? Also, what do I do if I get a system such as dx/dt = x, dy/dt = 1? How would I plot dy/dt being that it is a constant?

Physics news on Phys.org
smithnya said:
I'm having difficulty plotting a vector field of a first-order system. I understand that I am supposed to select various points, "plug" them into the equations, and then plot the vector from the resulting point. But how do I know in which way the vector is pointing? Once I get the point from which the vector will originate, how do I decide in which direction to point that vector? Also, what do I do if I get a system such as dx/dt = x, dy/dt = 1? How would I plot dy/dt being that it is a constant?

The "vectors" are slopes. You can draw a small line with a particular slope right? For example, take:

[tex]\frac{dy}{dt}=2y+1[/tex]

At the point (1,2), the slope is 5. So at that point in the plot, draw a small arrow with slope five. The slope at the point (-3,-1) would be -1. So draw a small line with a slope of -1. Same dif everywhere else. Since this one doesn't depend on t, the slope field is symmetrical with respect to the t-axis right?

In the case of a system:

[tex]dx/dt=x[/tex]
[tex]dy/dt=1[/tex]

the slope field is now in the x-y coordinate system so at the point x=1, y=2, the slope would be 1. Draw a line with slope 1 there. At the point x=5, y=3, the slope is five. Do the same there.

To check your work, use Mathematica's StreamPlot function. In the case of the single DE above, then dt/dt=1 and dy/dt=2y+1 so that in the t-y coordinate system, we can code:

StreamPlot[{x, 1}, {x, -5, 5}, {y, -5, 5}]

and for systems like the one above:

StreamPlot[{x,1},{x,-5,5},{y,-5,5}]

1. What is a vector field?

A vector field is a mathematical concept used to describe the direction and magnitude of a vector at every point in a given space or region. It can be visualized as a collection of arrows, with each arrow representing the direction and magnitude of the vector at a specific point.

2. How do you plot a vector field?

To plot a vector field, you first need to determine the equation or function that describes the field. Then, you can use a graphing calculator or plotting software to generate a visual representation of the field. Alternatively, you can plot the field manually by calculating and drawing individual vectors at different points on a grid.

3. What are some real-world applications of vector fields?

Vector fields have many practical applications, including in physics, engineering, and fluid dynamics. They are used to model and analyze the flow of fluids, such as air and water, as well as the movement of objects under the influence of forces, such as gravity and electromagnetism.

4. What is a gradient vector field?

A gradient vector field is a special type of vector field that represents the directional change of a scalar function. It is often used in calculus and physics to describe the rate of change of a physical quantity, such as temperature or pressure, at different points in space.

5. How can vector fields be used to solve problems?

Vector fields can be used to solve a variety of problems, such as finding the shortest path between two points, optimizing the trajectory of a moving object, and analyzing the behavior of complex systems. They provide a powerful mathematical tool for understanding and predicting the behavior of physical phenomena.