Weight at the North Pole vs. Equator Problem

In summary, we are given the radius of the Earth, the weight of a person at the North Pole, and we are asked to find the weight of the person at the equator. After setting up a free body diagram and using the equations for centripetal acceleration and net force, it is determined that the weight at the equator would be 602.06N, which is slightly more than the weight at the North Pole. This is due to the centripetal acceleration also pointing towards the center of gravity.
Legaldose
1. Suppose Earth is a perfect sphere of radius 6,370km. If a person weighs exactly 600N at the north pole, how much will the person weigh at the equator?

Givens:

r = 6,370km = 6,370,000m
Weight at north pole = mg = 600N

Homework Equations

ω[itex]_{av}[/itex] = θ/t

ƩF[itex]_{net}[/itex] = ma

a[itex]_{c}[/itex] = v[itex]^{2}[/itex]/r

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay, so the first thing I did was to draw a picture. Then I noticed that ω[itex]_{av}[/itex] would be 0 at the North Pole because you don't have any rotational velocity! Then I set up a Free Body Diagram for a location at the equator and see that the normal force (N) is acting up perpendicular to the ground, and gravity is acting downward towards the center of the Earths gravity.

I get

ƩF[itex]_{y}[/itex] = ma[itex]_{y}[/itex]

where a[itex]_{y}[/itex] is the centripetal acceleration a[itex]_{c}[/itex]

so

ƩF[itex]_{y}[/itex] = mv[itex]^{2}[/itex]/r = mrω[itex]^{2}[/itex]

and substituting in N and mg for ƩF[itex]_{y}[/itex]

N-mg = mrω[itex]^{2}[/itex]

since we are looking for N

N = mrω[itex]^{2}[/itex]+mg

and so when I substitute the values of m, r, ω, and g I get

N = 61.16kg(6.37 x 10[itex]^{6}[/itex]m)(7.27 x 10[itex]^{-5}[/itex]rad/s)[itex]^{2}[/itex] + 61.16kg(9.81m/s[itex]^{2}[/itex])

solving for N I get 602.06N

But I thought that you weighed less at the equator? I believe I missed something fundamental, can someone please help me out here? Thank you for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
It should be mg-N=mrω^2, since the centripetal acceleration points inwards towards the center, and so does mg, but not N.

It should be mg-N=mrω^2, since the centripetal acceleration points inwards towards the center, and so does mg, but not N.

Oh! So at that point I should take downward as positive and solve for N = mg-mrω^2? That makes more sense I don't know why I didn't remember that the centripetal acceleration would be pointed towards the center of gravity as well, thank you.

1. What is the weight difference between the North Pole and the Equator?

The weight difference between the North Pole and Equator is very small and almost negligible. This is because weight is determined by the force of gravity, which is dependent on the distance from the center of the Earth. The difference in distance between these two points is very small, so the difference in weight is also very small.

2. How does the Earth's rotation affect weight at the North Pole and Equator?

The Earth's rotation does not have a direct effect on weight at the North Pole and Equator. However, the Earth's rotation does cause a slight centrifugal force at the Equator, which reduces the force of gravity by a very small amount. This results in a slightly lower weight at the Equator compared to the North Pole.

3. Does the weight discrepancy between the North Pole and Equator affect the accuracy of scientific measurements?

No, the weight discrepancy between the North Pole and Equator is so small that it does not have a significant impact on scientific measurements. Other factors, such as instrument precision and environmental conditions, have a much larger effect on the accuracy of measurements.

4. Is weight a reliable measurement of mass?

No, weight is not a reliable measurement of mass because it is influenced by the force of gravity, which can vary depending on location. Mass, on the other hand, is an intrinsic property of an object and remains constant regardless of location.

5. Can weight be converted to mass at different locations on Earth?

No, weight and mass cannot be directly converted to each other. As mentioned before, weight is influenced by gravity, while mass is an intrinsic property of an object. However, the weight of an object can be used to calculate its mass at a specific location using the formula: Mass = Weight / Acceleration due to gravity.