How experiments end and scientists move on

• Thread starter Elwin.Martin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Experiments
In summary, your professor told you that every project has a lifetime, and that some projects may require you to develop new skills without direct exposure to the community.
Elwin.Martin
I was discussing my REU applications with a professor of mine and he picked out a number of experiments, I won't name which, that he said I should be weary of. I was a little confused by his selections, so I asked him what was wrong with the particular experiments. They were all very respectable groups of scientists working on interesting problems, as far as I could tell. He told me that every project had a lifetime, and that some projects require such a specific set of skills and/or work in a relative isolation from the rest of the community to the extent that those scientists are at a slight disconnect from the rest of the experimental community and that those scientists are often at risk or well, losing themselves when their experiment is over since they have been doing the same specific set of task for an extended period of time.

Does anyone have any experience with projects, I wouldn't want to offend anyone by naming where, that have ended and left physicists well...a little displaced? I'm trying to imagine ATLAS (as an example of a HUGE project) coming to an end abruptly and leaving thousands of people scratching their heads, haha, but I have a feeling that the collaboration for ATLAS will probably change size gradually over the years.

Any discussion would be great, I'm just trying to be a little more knowledgeable about the way my future field will work :P

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't worry about this with regards to an REU. You aren't expected to accomplish much in a few months anyway.

Generally speaking, it's prudent to always be learning new skills. Your advisor is correct that some fields of study may require you to perform repitious tasks ad nauseum, which may prevent you from doing so on the job. In such a case, it is incumbent on you to develop or acquire new knowledge independently. All the preparation in the world cannot guarantee avoidance of these situations, though there are steps you can take to better your odds (e.g., characterizing the work output of peers in your prospective position).

uby said:
Don't worry about this with regards to an REU. You aren't expected to accomplish much in a few months anyway.

Generally speaking, it's prudent to always be learning new skills. Your advisor is correct that some fields of study may require you to perform repitious tasks ad nauseum, which may prevent you from doing so on the job. In such a case, it is incumbent on you to develop or acquire new knowledge independently. All the preparation in the world cannot guarantee avoidance of these situations, though there are steps you can take to better your odds (e.g., characterizing the work output of peers in your prospective position).

Thank you :) I'll be sure to remember this when I make decisions (assuming I'm accepted of course!).

1. How do scientists determine when an experiment has ended?

Scientists determine when an experiment has ended by setting specific goals and criteria beforehand. This can include reaching a certain number of trials, obtaining a specific result, or following a predetermined timeline.

2. What happens to the data collected after an experiment has ended?

The data collected after an experiment has ended is carefully analyzed and organized. This data can then be used to draw conclusions and make observations about the experiment.

3. How do scientists decide what to do next after an experiment has ended?

After an experiment has ended, scientists carefully review the data and results to determine the next steps. This can include repeating the experiment with slight variations, conducting further research, or starting a new experiment based on the findings.

4. How do scientists ensure that their findings are accurate and reliable?

Scientists ensure the accuracy and reliability of their findings by following strict scientific methods and protocols. This can include controlling variables, conducting multiple trials, and peer review from other scientists in the field.

5. What factors can influence a scientist's decision to move on from an experiment?

A scientist's decision to move on from an experiment can be influenced by a variety of factors, such as budget constraints, time limitations, and the availability of resources. Additionally, if the experiment does not yield significant results, a scientist may choose to move on to a different research topic.