Transfering files between a Unix account and my windows PC

In summary, the conversation discusses ways to transfer files between a Windows PC and a Unix account accessed through an SSH client. Suggestions include using WinSCP or the FireFTP add-on for Firefox, both of which offer secure protocols. Another option is to use netcat, potentially through an SSH tunnel for added security.
dipole
I have an account on a Unix cluster where I log in through an SSH client (I'm using SecureCRT).

I need to be able to transfer files from my windows to PC to my unix acount and vice versa, does anyone know how to go about doing that? There is a "Transfer" menu in the SecureCRT window but it doesn't seem to work - all it does is record keystrokes instead of transfering files.

Thanks.

Computer science news on Phys.org
You might try WinSCP, http://winscp.net/ . I've played a bit with it under Windows on my Mac. On that site, beware of the big "Download" buttons that are actually part of advertisements for other software. Make sure what you're about to download is actually WinSCP. :rolleyes:

Or if you use Firefox, try the FireFTP add-on, http://fireftp.mozdev.org/ , which I've started to use myself. It has options for various secure protocols.

WinSCP is really good.

I approve! Thanks for the tip.

Alternatively, just use netcat. You can even throw it through an SSH tunnel if you don't like people to see the data.

1. How do I transfer files between a Unix account and my Windows PC?

To transfer files between a Unix account and a Windows PC, you will need to use a file transfer protocol, such as FTP or SFTP. You will also need to have the necessary permissions and login credentials for both the Unix account and the Windows PC.

2. Can I transfer files between a Unix account and my Windows PC using a USB drive?

Yes, you can transfer files between a Unix account and a Windows PC using a USB drive. First, you will need to format the USB drive to be compatible with both Unix and Windows file systems. Then, you can simply copy and paste the files from the Unix account onto the USB drive and then onto the Windows PC.

3. Is it possible to transfer files between a Unix account and my Windows PC using a remote connection?

Yes, it is possible to transfer files between a Unix account and a Windows PC using a remote connection. You can use remote desktop software, such as VNC or TeamViewer, to access the Unix account from your Windows PC and transfer files between the two systems.

4. Are there any specific commands I need to use to transfer files between a Unix account and my Windows PC?

There are specific commands you can use to transfer files between a Unix account and a Windows PC, such as the FTP or SFTP command. However, the exact commands will depend on the specific operating systems and file transfer protocols being used. It is best to consult the documentation for your specific systems for the correct commands to use.

5. Can I transfer files between a Unix account and my Windows PC over a network?

Yes, you can transfer files between a Unix account and a Windows PC over a network. You will need to have the necessary permissions and network settings configured on both systems. You can then use file transfer protocols, remote desktop software, or other methods to transfer files between the two systems.