Laptop for Grad School: Find the Best Under $1000

In summary, the cheap $200 Android tablet is a decent substitute for a laptop, and the ASUS netbook is a good value for the price.
Goalie33
Hi Guys (and Gals),
I hope no one minds that I posted this in "Academic Guidance", but I figured this is something you all have dealt with... I'm starting graduate school in the fall and I'm looking to buy a new laptop. I will be traveling on the train/bus with it daily so I want something on the lighter/portable side. I also want something a little more durable (I've had problems with Dell/HP in this respect). I will also need it to be powerful enough to handle data analysis (I also will use the Mathematica student edition on it). Lastly, I'd like to stay below $1000.

Obviously, I'm doing my own research, but I hoped someone would have advice on models they loved/hated. Thanks!

Computer science news on Phys.org
I've looked at Lenovo ThinkPads (x and t series) and some ultrabooks. Thoughts?

Goalie33 said:
I will also need it to be powerful enough to handle data analysis (I also will use the Mathematica student edition on it). Lastly, I'd like to stay below $1000.

I have a cheap $200 Android tablet which I carry with me to work, and then an ASUS netbook which I got for $400. My wife and kids are Mac/Apple people. I've tended toward "buy cheap/buy often." If I buy a $400 netbook instead of a $1200 laptop, then I can buy one every eight months.

1) I've found that CPU isn't that important. Even the really cheap laptops have heavy duty CPU's. For really, really compute intensive stuff, you'd be logging into another computer anyway, and I've set up my home machine as a server so that if I have to do something really CPU intensive I can remote log into that.

2) The two important things are keyboard and weight.

3) One of the first things I do with my laptop is to repartition and install Linux on one of the partitions. I use Mageia. Other people do stuff with Ubuntu.

Last edited:
I would highly recommend getting the asus transformer TF101, also, get the docking station w/ a keyboard to go with it. Its really versatile and has a ton of neat functions that come with it.

Thanks guys, I'll look into those suggestions.

1. What are the most important features to consider when choosing a laptop for grad school?

The most important features to consider when choosing a laptop for grad school are processing power, storage capacity, battery life, portability, and compatibility with required software. A powerful processor will allow you to run multiple programs at once and handle complex tasks, while ample storage capacity will ensure you have enough space for all your documents, presentations, and research materials. A long battery life is crucial for long study sessions, and a lightweight and compact design will make it easier to carry your laptop to class and the library. Finally, make sure the laptop is compatible with any specialized software required for your field of study.

2. Can I find a good laptop for grad school for under $1000?

Yes, it is possible to find a good laptop for grad school for under $1000. With advancements in technology, there are many budget-friendly options available that offer powerful performance and essential features for academic use. However, it's important to do your research and compare different models to find the best value for your money.

3. Is it better to get a Windows, Mac, or Chromebook for grad school?

This ultimately depends on your personal preference and the requirements of your program. Windows laptops are the most versatile and offer a wide range of options at various price points. Mac laptops are known for their sleek design and user-friendly interface, but they tend to be more expensive. Chromebooks are affordable and lightweight, but they have limited storage and may not be compatible with all software. Consider your needs and budget before deciding on a specific operating system.

4. Should I prioritize a touchscreen or a traditional keyboard for my grad school laptop?

This also depends on personal preference and how you plan to use your laptop. Touchscreens can be useful for taking notes, drawing diagrams, and giving presentations. However, they may also add to the cost and may not be necessary for all grad students. Consider your own study habits and the demands of your program before deciding between a touchscreen or traditional keyboard.

5. How important is durability and warranty when choosing a laptop for grad school?

Durability and warranty are important considerations when choosing a laptop for grad school. As a busy student, your laptop will likely be subjected to frequent use and travel, so it's important to choose a model that can withstand wear and tear. Look for laptops with sturdy construction and good reviews for durability. Additionally, make sure to check the warranty and any available extended coverage plans to protect your investment in case of any unexpected issues.