Fixing Odd Spacing in Outlook's New Message Function for German Characters

• Thread starter phylotree
  • Start date
Some fonts may not support certain characters, causing them to appear differently or separated from the rest of the word. Another possibility could be an issue with the encoding of the text in your outlook's new message function. In summary, the problem seems to be with the font or encoding used in outlook's new message function, causing German characters to be separated by spaces.
phylotree
I have run into a little problem when my outlook's new message function separates every single German character I input with a space. If I input
"koae" in which "o" will have 2 dots on top, the whole word then becomes "k o a e"
This doesn't happen in other editors (notepad, wordpad, window s'word etc)

What could be the problem ?

Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org
phylotree said:
I have run into a little problem when my outlook's new message function separates every single German character I input with a space. If I input
"koae" in which "o" will have 2 dots on top, the whole word then becomes "k o a e"
This doesn't happen in other editors (notepad, wordpad, window s'word etc)

What could be the problem ?
Have you tried changing the font that you're using?

1. How do I fix the odd spacing in Outlook's new message function for German characters?

To fix the odd spacing in Outlook's new message function for German characters, you can change the default font settings for your emails. Go to File > Options > Mail > Stationery and Fonts, and select a font that supports German characters, such as Arial or Calibri. You can also adjust the spacing and alignment settings in the Font dialog box to your preference.

2. Why does Outlook have odd spacing when typing German characters?

This odd spacing in Outlook's new message function for German characters is due to the font settings being incompatible with the German characters. By default, Outlook uses a font that may not support German characters, leading to spacing issues.

3. Can I change the default font settings for all my emails in Outlook?

Yes, you can change the default font settings for all your emails in Outlook by going to File > Options > Mail > Stationery and Fonts, and selecting a font that supports German characters. You can also change the default font settings for specific languages by going to File > Options > Language, and selecting the language you want to customize.

4. Will changing the font settings affect my previous emails in Outlook?

Changing the font settings will only affect new emails that you compose in Outlook. Your previous emails will not be affected, as their font settings were already applied when they were sent.

5. Are there any other solutions for fixing odd spacing in Outlook's new message function for German characters?

Another solution is to manually adjust the spacing and alignment for each individual email. This can be time-consuming, but it allows for more customization. You can also try using a different email client that supports German characters and allows for more font customization.