Refreshing help needed with calculation of torque of gear wheel

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of calculating the torque of a spinning gear wheel for an engineering project. The individual is given the radius and RPM of the gear wheel and needs to calculate the torque applied on a locking bolt that will suddenly engage and bring the gear to a stop. They mention using the formula T=I*a and question if they need to calculate the moment of inertia for the oddly shaped gear. They also consider viewing the gear as a sum of ideal shapes to simplify the calculation.
Fjolvar
Hello,

I'm working on calculating a torque value for an engineering project at a new internship I started. Basically there is a spinning gear wheel similar to the picture I posted below (but thicker/cyclindrical), and I need to calculate the force or torque applied on a locking bolt that will suddenly engage at about 1/2*r of the gear bringing it to a complete stop.

http://thehobbyshop.co.za/images/LOWER_GEAR_WHEEL.jpg

The radius of the wheel (which is cylindrical in shape) is approximately 1.5cm with a length of about 2.5cm. I'm given the RPM which is a constant speed, so from that I can calculate the angular velocity. After the bolt engages, the velocity will change to zero creating a deceleration that I can plug into the torque formula T= I*a.

Would I have to then calculate the moment of intertia in order to solve the equation, and if so, how would I approach this? I've only solved inertia problems with ideal shapes.. not oddly shaped gears. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance..

-Ryan

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
So basically I just need to calculate the torque of a spinning gear wheel. Any ideas from anyone?

To calculate moment of inertia, can you not see the gear wheel as a sum of ideal shapes? You could disregard the teeth and see the outer rim as a ring, the inner part as a disc, and the connections between them as rods or planes.

What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the rotational force applied to an object. It is typically measured in units of newton-meters (Nm) or pound-feet (lb-ft).

How do you calculate torque?

Torque is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the point of rotation to the point of force application. The equation for torque is: T = rF, where T is torque, r is the distance from the point of rotation, and F is the force applied.

What is the formula for calculating torque of a gear wheel?

The formula for calculating torque of a gear wheel is slightly different, as it takes into account the number of teeth on the gear. The equation is: T = F x r x N, where T is torque, F is the force applied, r is the distance from the point of rotation, and N is the number of teeth on the gear.

What are some real-world applications of torque calculations?

Torque calculations are used in many different fields, including engineering, physics, and mechanics. Some specific real-world applications include calculating the torque needed to turn a screw, the torque required for a vehicle to move up a hill, and the torque generated by a motor in a machine.

What factors can affect the torque of a gear wheel?

The torque of a gear wheel can be affected by several factors, such as the size of the gear, the number of teeth, the material it is made of, and the speed at which it is rotating. Additionally, the presence of any additional forces or friction can also impact the torque of a gear wheel.