Where Can I Find an Affordable Vibrating Sample Magnetometer Head?

In summary, the conversation involves a request for suggestions on obtaining a vibrating sample magnetometer for a lab. The options being considered are buying a secondhand one, buying a VSM head and adapting it to an existing magnet, or making their own head. Other suggestions are also welcome. Some potential issues with making their own head are discussed, and it is mentioned that they already have a magnet and power supply from an old Bruker EPR.
jmariano
Dear all,

We are in need of a vibrating sample magnetometer for our lab. but don´t have the money to buy a new one.

We are considering
- buy a secondhand one (still expensive)
- buy the VSM head and adapt to a existing magnet. If you now where to find one, I would be happy to hear from you.
- make our own head. If someone has any good suggestions on how to make a good quality vibrator, besides the obvious loudspeaker, I would appreciate if you share your thoughts.

Nay other suggestions are very much welcome.

Tanks
José Mariano
Physics Dep.
University of Algarve
Portugal

Physics news on Phys.org
Buying the head and adapting a magnet sounds like a good idea to me. The naked magnet should not be too expensive, but you also need a power supply.

I have seen welding power supplies fitted with some means of current control as cheap power supplies for conventional electromagnets.

Because of the power involved the magnet itself has to be water cooled. If you try this, make sure that the power supply is interlocked to the cooling water flow rate. Otherwise you risk boiling the remaining water and causing serious damage (and potential injury).

BTW, that particular magnet was not used for a VSM, so I cannot tell you if the stability is sufficient for such an application.

Actually, we do have the magnet and the power supply, from an old Bruker EPR. Our problem is with the head. I don´t have any idea were we could by one. Probably we have to make one yourself, but I'm not keen on the idea. Bad mechanics will compromise the performance of the device.

What is a Vibrating Sample Magnetometer (VSM)?

A Vibrating Sample Magnetometer (VSM) is a scientific instrument used to measure the magnetic properties of a material. It consists of an electromagnet, a sample holder, and a vibrating platform. The sample is placed on the vibrating platform and exposed to a varying magnetic field, while the resulting changes in the sample's magnetic properties are measured.

How does a VSM work?

A VSM works by applying a magnetic field to a sample and measuring the resulting changes in the sample's magnetization. The sample is placed on the vibrating platform, which ensures that the magnetic field is applied evenly, and the vibrations help to minimize any external disturbances. As the magnetic field is varied, the VSM measures the sample's magnetic moment, which is then used to calculate its magnetic properties.

What are the advantages of using a VSM?

There are several advantages to using a VSM, including its high sensitivity and accuracy, its ability to measure both static and dynamic magnetic properties, and its versatility in analyzing a wide range of materials. Additionally, the non-destructive nature of VSM measurements means that the same sample can be measured multiple times without altering its properties.

What types of materials can be analyzed using a VSM?

VSMs are commonly used to analyze ferromagnetic, paramagnetic, and diamagnetic materials. Some examples include metals, alloys, ceramics, and thin films. VSMs can also be used to study the magnetic properties of biological samples, such as proteins and cells.

What are some applications of VSM in scientific research?

VSMs have a wide range of applications in scientific research, including studying the magnetic properties of materials for industrial and technological purposes, investigating the magnetic behavior of materials at different temperatures and pressures, and understanding the fundamental physics of magnetism. VSMs are also used in the development of new materials and in the analysis of ancient artifacts and geological samples.