Please help this is toughest Differential equation I have had to work

In summary, the conversation discusses an equation involving derivatives and various coefficients. One person suggests a simplification by using a transformation and another person explains how to solve the equation analytically or numerically. However, it is mentioned that the equation may not be solvable in the general case. It is also noted that there was an error in one of the equations.
diffEQult
Hit a wall on this one...can anyone help with the next step?

A(d2y/dt2)+B*(dy/dt)^2*(C*y^2+D*y+E)+F*y^-2=0

Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Because t does not expicitely appear in that equation, you can simplify a little by "quadrature". Let v= dy/dt. The [itex]d^2y/dt^2= dv/dt= (dv/dx)(dx/dt)= v(dv/dt)[/itex] so your equation becomes a first order equation for v in terms of y:
[tex]VA\frac{dv}{dy}+ Bv^2(Cy^2+ Dy+ E)= -Fy^{-2}[/tex]
I don't know that that equation is solvable but if you can find v then you solve v= dy/dt.

Yea that's how far I could get before getting stuck. The equation isn't really separable.

Is there a way to do this analytically or numerically?

Hi !
The equation derived by HallsofIvy is a Riccati ODE which can be transformed to a second order linear ODE (attachment).
Since this linear ODE is much too complicated to be analytically solved in terms of a finite combination of standard functions, we can conclude that the problem raised by DiffEQlt cannot be analytically solved (except in case of some particular values of the coefficients). So, in the general case, numerical process is required.

Attachments

• RiccatiODE.JPG
    RiccatiODE.JPG
    31.1 KB · Views: 426
I don't see how you made the jump to your second line in the attached jpg? Where does the w come from and what does it represent.

In the end, what would you solve the equation for if you have w, y, and v's throughout it?

Also, V should be v in Halls equation.

Last edited:
diffEQult said:
I don't see how you made the jump to your second line in the attached jpg? Where does the w come from and what does it represent.

v is the unknown function in the previous ODE.
w is the unknown function in the new ODE after the change of function.
Of course, one have to define a relationship between the previous unknown function and the new unknown function. The second line in the attached jpg is the chosen relationship.
This relationship was chosen so that the quadratic term in the previous ODE be eliminated and that the new ODE be linear.
It is not always possible to do that. A convenient relationship can be found only for few kind of non-linear ODEs in order turn them to linear ODEs. In is possible in the case of the Riccati equations.

diffEQult said:
In the end, what would you solve the equation for if you have w, y, and v's throughout it?

If it is possible to analytically solve the linear ODE, one obtains the literal expression for the function w, which becomes known. Then, one have to express w' and bring back w and w' into the relationship which leads to the function v(y). Since v=dy/dt, the integration of dt=dy/v(y) leads to t as a function of y. Then, if possible, the inverse of the function t(y) gives y as a function of t.

diffEQult said:
Also, V should be v in Halls equation.

Ha! ha! ha! I didn't check the Halls equation. So, I thought that V was a constant.
You are right: V is not a constant, but V=v. As a consequence all that was done is of no use. There is NO Riccati equation at all !
It's much simpler : You just have to let z=v² and the EDO directly becomes a first order linear ODE with the unknown function z.

Last edited:

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates a function to its derivatives. It is commonly used in modeling and solving problems involving rates of change.

2. How do I solve a tough differential equation?

Solving a differential equation requires knowledge of various techniques such as separation of variables, substitution, and integration. It also involves understanding the initial conditions and boundary conditions of the problem.

3. Can you provide an example of a tough differential equation?

One example of a tough differential equation is the Navier-Stokes equation, which is used to describe the motion of fluids. It involves partial derivatives and can be difficult to solve analytically.

4. What are some tips for solving tough differential equations?

Some tips for solving tough differential equations include breaking the problem into smaller parts, using known techniques and formulas, and practicing regularly to improve problem-solving skills.

5. Are there any resources available to help with solving tough differential equations?

Yes, there are many resources available such as textbooks, online tutorials, and forums where you can discuss and get help with tough differential equations. It can also be helpful to consult with a professor or tutor for additional guidance.