Taking OChem and Physics at the same time. Good idea or no?

In summary, the conversation is discussing the difficulty of taking both Organic Chemistry and General Physics for Engineers at a community college. There is a debate about whether community colleges are easier than four-year universities and whether taking these two classes at the same time is too much. The consensus is that if these are the only STEM classes being taken and the person is comfortable with liberal arts classes, it is fine. However, if there are other STEM classes being taken, one should consider dropping a class. The experience of taking these classes at a community college is generally seen as similar to a four-year university, but with smaller class sizes for more personalized help. Some individuals have also mentioned taking additional classes such as calculus, diff eq, and linear algebra at the same
annoyinggirl
I will be taking both Organic Chemistry and General Physics for Engineers next semester at a community college. Good idea or is that too much? I've heard that these two classes are the ones that most people struggle with. Are community colleges easier than four year universities?

Physics news on Phys.org
If they are the only STEM classes you are taking, and you're comfortable with liberal arts classes, then that's fine.

However, if you are taking any other STEM classes, drop one.

Nope, I think I'm just going to those two classes. I don't think I'm even going to take any liberal arts classes, just ochem and physics.

I'll be doing those same two classes, including calculus, and starting a new job. I'm not counting on having much free time! I was going to sign up for four classes, but I'll see how the first quarter of organic chemistry goes before I overload myself.

As for community college being easier than a four year university...in my experience, they are the same. This is just in my experience, however. I'm sure there are some CCs out there that are easier. The one I go to is essentially controlled by the large state school that the CC feeds into, so the academics are required to be very similar. The smaller class sizes at my CC certainly make it easier to get help from the professor, however.

I'm doing O-chem, physics, and diff eq...you arent alone in the suffering

I took O-chem, phys 2, diff eq and linear algebra in one quarter. I didn't find it that bad.

Organic chemistry really has an inflated reputation. It is very conceptual - it has memorization, so does every class, but it is also very intuitive.

1. Is it a good idea to take Organic Chemistry and Physics at the same time?

It depends on your personal strengths and workload. Both Organic Chemistry and Physics are challenging courses that require a lot of time and effort, so taking them simultaneously can be overwhelming for some students. However, if you are confident in your ability to handle a heavy course load and have a strong foundation in both subjects, it can be a beneficial and efficient way to complete your degree requirements.

2. Will taking both courses at the same time affect my grades?

It is possible that taking both Organic Chemistry and Physics at the same time may impact your grades, as both courses require a significant amount of time and effort. However, with proper time management and dedication, it is possible to excel in both courses simultaneously.

3. Are there any benefits to taking Organic Chemistry and Physics together?

Yes, there are several benefits to taking these courses together. Both Organic Chemistry and Physics involve principles of critical thinking, problem-solving, and laboratory skills. By taking these courses together, you can reinforce these skills and see how they apply to different scientific disciplines.

4. Can I take Organic Chemistry and Physics in any order?

In most cases, there is no specific order in which you must take Organic Chemistry and Physics. However, some universities may require you to complete prerequisites before enrolling in certain courses. It is best to check with your academic advisor or the course descriptions to determine if there are any recommended sequences.

5. How can I prepare for taking Organic Chemistry and Physics at the same time?

To prepare for taking both courses simultaneously, it is essential to have a strong foundation in basic chemistry and physics concepts. You can also review course material from previous classes or attend review sessions offered by your school. Additionally, staying organized and managing your time effectively can help you succeed in both courses.