Is Time Physically Dimensional or Just a Conceptual Shorthand?

• Thread starter RealityQuest
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Time
In summary: I suggest you look into some other questions that could be addressed more productively.In summary, it seems that the majority of physicists believe in a block universe, in which time is measured in terms of displacement potential rather than actual elapsed time. This theory is based on the observation that the speed of light is the same for all observers, regardless of their relative speeds.
RealityQuest
As a true novice in this field...

Do theoretical physicists consider time to be physically dimensional in the same sense that distance is? Or is the dimensionality of time only conceptual shorthand--a function of how perceiving agents incrementally organize successive configurations of mass in flux within space?

In effect, isn't "time" merely the measured release of an otherwise static universe? Might it simply be thought of as displacement potential itself? As such, the term "space-time" would be just another way of describing a universe where change is possible, but only in accordance with a prescribed progressivity.

Physics news on Phys.org
I can't think of an experiment which could be performed to answer your question.

"displacement potential"?

RealityQuest said:
As a true novice in this field...

Do theoretical physicists consider time to be physically dimensional in the same sense that distance is?...

Hi, RealityQuest. For someone with a handle like yours it's quite possible you may have an interest in foundational physics. You may be aware that there are at least two or three concepts favored among physicists: 1) The physical universe is 3-dimensional, evolving with time, 2) It's a "block universe" --the idea that the universe is a static 4-dimensional structure populated by 4-dimensional objects, and 3) Those who consider either 1) or 2) as possibilities but feel there is not the experimental evidence to resolve the issue.

From a number of previous posts on this forum related to your question, I would guess that most here are of the 3) view.

It has been pointed out here that given the observation that the speed of light is the same for all observers, regardless of their relative speeds, this is ample evidence to infer a block universe. This is because the only universe scheme that has so far been imagined is one of 4-dimensions (X1, X2, X3, and X4) with objects strung out along 4-dimensional space-time paths called "worldlines." An observer is characterized as at rest in his frame of reference (coordinates X1 = 0, X2 = 0, X3 = 0) while moving at the speed of light along his X4 axis. Distances along his worldline is measured with a clock: X4 = ct.

Last edited by a moderator:
jtbell said:
"displacement potential"?

The universe seems to be something between perfectly static and perfectly chaotic. Motion is allowed, but limited by what we call inertia.

In a perfectly static universe the displacement potential of an object would be zero. In a perfectly chaotic universe the displacement potential of an object would be infinite.

In our universe, given limited mass and force, the displacement potential can be definitively calculated in relation to cycles completed on a referenced clock, such as the rotating earth. Zero Earth rotations, zero displacement potential. One Earth rotation, one day's worth of displacement potential. Actual displacement depends on the mass and force applied.

bobc2 said:
Hi, RealityQuest. For someone with a handle like yours it's quite possible you may have an interest in foundational physics. You may be aware that there are at least two or three concepts favored among physicists: 1) The physical universe is 3-dimensional, evolving with time, 2) It's a "block universe" --the idea that the universe is a static 4-dimensional structure populated by 4-dimensional objects, and 3) Those who consider either 1) or 2) as possibilities but feel there is not the experimental evidence to resolve the issue.

From a number of previous posts on this forum related to your question, I would guess that most here are of the 3) view.

Thanks for your patient response.

Clearly I find myself in the 1) camp. You've given me a lot to consider.

Last edited by a moderator:
RealityQuest said:
Thanks for your patient response.

Clearly I find myself in the 1) camp. You've given me a lot to consider.

Why is a block universe required to explain time dilation? In my thinking, gravity and velocity create localized variations of inertia. As inertia increases, change potential is decreased, thus reducing what a clock measures as time.

Sorry I won't be able to participate here. I don't seem to have the intellect to understand any of what you are trying to communicate about potentials, etc.

This thread is already becoming speculative.

What is the dimensionality of time?

The dimensionality of time refers to the number of independent variables needed to describe the concept of time. In traditional physics, time is considered to be a one-dimensional quantity, as it only moves in one direction and can be measured using a single unit (seconds, minutes, etc.). However, some theories suggest that time may have additional dimensions which are not perceived by humans.

Why is time considered to be one-dimensional?

Time is considered to be one-dimensional because it is believed to only move in one direction, from past to present to future. This linear progression of time is what we experience in our daily lives and is reflected in our calendars and clocks. Additionally, the measurement of time using a single unit supports the idea of time being one-dimensional.

What are some theories that suggest time may have additional dimensions?

One theory is that time may have a second dimension, known as "duration," which is the perceived length or duration of an event. Another theory is that time may have a fourth dimension, known as "imaginary time," which is used in some mathematical models to reconcile theories of relativity and quantum mechanics. Some theories also suggest that time may have multiple dimensions in higher dimensions of space.

How do we perceive time?

Humans perceive time through a combination of biological, psychological, and cultural factors. Biologically, our brains have a built-in clock that helps us keep track of time intervals. Psychologically, our perception of time can be influenced by emotions, attention, and memory. Culturally, our perception of time is shaped by societal norms and practices, such as using calendars and clocks to organize our daily activities.

Can time travel occur in multiple dimensions of time?

The concept of time travel is still a topic of debate and remains a hypothetical concept. While some theories suggest that time travel may be possible in multiple dimensions of time, there is currently no scientific evidence to support this idea. Theories that propose multiple dimensions of time are still being explored and tested by scientists.