Can you find a non-recursive formula for y(n) with 4th order coefficients?

• Thread starter flying2000
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Formula
In summary, the conversation discusses how to find a non-recursive formula for y(n), which involves finding a linear and homogeneous solution in the form of At^n. The speaker suggests either writing down the first few terms and proving it inductively or working backwards from y(n) and substituting to find a solution. They also mention a fourth order equation that needs to be solved to find the constants t and A.
flying2000
How to get a non-recursive formula for y(n):

y(n)=1 (n=1 or 2)
y(n)=0 (n=3 or 4)
y(n)=(y(n-4) + y(n-3))/2

Any hints apprecaited..

Mathematics news on Phys.org
write down the first few terms, guess an answer and prove it inductively, that'd be my guess.

or work backwards from y(n) repeatedly subs'ing in and see what works.

I have already wrote down previous 20 items, still can't find the relationship

I have already wrote down previous 20 items, still can't find the relationship

matt grime said:
write down the first few terms, guess an answer and prove it inductively, that'd be my guess.

or work backwards from y(n) repeatedly subs'ing in and see what works.

Ok, I suppose a 4th order is going a little too far to ask you to spot it...

however, it is linear and homogeneous, so the general solution is of the form At^n for some constants t and A, t satisfies

t^n = t^{n-4}+t^{n-3}

or

t^4=1+t,

solve that, to get 4 solutions, and then apply the 4 initial conditions.

What is a non-recursive formula?

A non-recursive formula is a mathematical equation or expression that does not require the use of previously calculated values in order to determine the final result. This means that the formula does not rely on itself to generate a solution, unlike recursive formulas which use a previous iteration of the formula to calculate the next iteration.

How is a non-recursive formula different from a recursive formula?

A non-recursive formula does not rely on previously calculated values, whereas a recursive formula does. This means that a non-recursive formula is generally faster and more efficient to calculate, but may require more complex mathematical operations than a recursive formula.

What are some examples of non-recursive formulas?

Some common examples of non-recursive formulas include linear equations, polynomial equations, and exponential equations. These formulas can be used to solve a variety of mathematical problems, such as finding the slope of a line, finding the roots of a polynomial, or calculating compound interest.

What are the advantages of using a non-recursive formula?

One of the main advantages of using a non-recursive formula is that it is generally faster and more efficient to calculate than a recursive formula. This can be especially useful when working with large datasets or complex mathematical problems, where efficiency is important. Non-recursive formulas also tend to be easier to understand and manipulate, making them more user-friendly.

Are there any disadvantages to using a non-recursive formula?

One potential disadvantage of using a non-recursive formula is that it may require more complex mathematical operations or multiple steps to solve a problem, compared to a recursive formula which may be more straightforward. In some cases, a recursive formula may also be more accurate than a non-recursive formula. Additionally, non-recursive formulas may not be suitable for all types of problems, and a recursive formula may be a better option in certain situations.