How do I calculate the atomic mass for this isotope?

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of solving a question involving the percentage of 85-Rb in a given equation. The initial attempt to solve the question using a specific equation is deemed incorrect and an alternative equation is proposed. Ultimately, the conversation leads to the realization that the question is referring to the actual weight of Rb-85 and provides a link for further reference.
apchemstudent
How would you go about to solve this quesiton? I thought that to calculate this i had to set up an equation as:

let x = the percentage of 85-Rb

84.91*x + 86.91*(1-x) = 85
x = 96%, but that's obviously wrong.

How do i solve this question?

Attachments

• atomic mass question 2.jpg
    atomic mass question 2.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 438
Chemistry news on Phys.org
This may work

[tex] \frac{84.91x+86.91y}{x+y}=85 [/tex]

solve for [tex]x/y[/tex], or the x in terms of y

find [tex](100)x/(x+y)[/tex]

GCT said:
This may work

[tex] \frac{84.91x+86.91y}{x+y}=85 [/tex]

solve for [tex]x/y[/tex], or the x in terms of y

find [tex](100)x/(x+y)[/tex]

nevermind... i know how to solve it now. It's referring to the actual weight of Rb - 85.

1. What is atomic mass?

Atomic mass is the average mass of all the isotopes of an element, taking into account their abundance in nature.

2. What are isotopes?

Isotopes are atoms of the same element that have different numbers of neutrons in their nucleus. This results in different atomic masses for each isotope.

3. How is atomic mass calculated?

Atomic mass is calculated by multiplying the mass of each isotope by its relative abundance and then summing these values for all the isotopes of an element.

4. Why is atomic mass sometimes a decimal number?

Atomic mass is sometimes a decimal number because it is an average of all the isotopes of an element, and these isotopes may have different masses. This results in a weighted average that is not always a whole number.

5. Why is atomic mass important?

Atomic mass is important because it helps us to identify and distinguish between different elements. It is also used in various calculations and experiments in chemistry and physics.