Calculate Horsepower to Velocity for Model Train Control

In summary, Terry is trying to calculate real-world values for the train, like velocity, and relates them to engine power and rolling resistance.
KaiGrid
Hello, I'm building a model train control system, and would like to use real world values and physics to control the trains. I have these specifications about each model of train, and would like to know how I could relate given HP to velocity or Δacceleration.
Given Values are located here: http://www.thedieselshop.us/Data%20EMD%20GP40.HTML

Physics news on Phys.org
KaiGrid said:
Hello, I'm building a model train control system, and would like to use real world values and physics to control the trains. I have these specifications about each model of train, and would like to know how I could relate given HP to velocity or Δacceleration.
Given Values are located here: http://www.thedieselshop.us/Data%20EMD%20GP40.HTML

HP does not relate directly to velocity. You could put a 1 HP motor on a real train and it would go at approximately zero mph, or you could put one on a roller skate and it would go maybe 50 mph.

Information

What information would I need to calculate the velocity of this train?

In the link to the "Given values" is says the speed is 65 mph, is that not what you want?

Cheers,
Terry

I'm trying to make a momentum control. In a locomotive, there are 9 engine settings (0-8). Each setting is a different percentage of applied power. Under different loads (mass), the train will accelerate faster or slower. I want a way to calculate how much power is being applied to the train (real life), so that I can apply it to the scale model.

OK. If you ignore rail gradient (a simplification to get started on this) the first thing to account for is rolling resistance. See here <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolling_resistance> for a coefficient. That will give a (more or less) constant force the engine must provide to maintain any speed. To accelerate you can use F=m.a, i.e for your mass and tractive force/effort you can calculate an acceleration. You will have to guess your tractive effort as a function of engine setting, maybe a simple ratio i.e 8=100%, 4=50% ??
The other thing that affects all this is aero drag which is a drag force usually proportional to speed squared, and will really only play a part at higher speeds, but is you want to include it you will need to find a suitable drag coefficient for your train.
The gradient force is the component of the weight (W.cos.theta) where theta is the angle to the horizontal.
It all gets a bit complicated when you have some of the train on the level, some on the up grade, some on down grade etc!

Cheers,
Terry

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you so much for the starting point! I will continue to work on it!

1. How do you calculate horsepower for model train control?

The formula for calculating horsepower to velocity for model train control is: Horsepower = (Force x Distance) / Time. This calculation takes into account the force applied to the train, the distance it travels, and the time it takes to cover that distance.

2. What is the purpose of calculating horsepower for model train control?

Calculating horsepower allows model train enthusiasts to determine the power needed for their trains to reach a desired velocity. This information is useful for designing and building a model train layout, as well as for selecting the appropriate motor and power supply for a train.

3. Can horsepower be converted to other units of measurement?

Yes, horsepower can be converted to other units of measurement such as watts or kilowatts. One horsepower is equal to approximately 746 watts or 0.746 kilowatts.

4. How does horsepower affect the speed of a model train?

The higher the horsepower, the faster a model train can travel. However, other factors such as the weight of the train, track conditions, and friction also play a role in determining the speed of a model train.

5. Are there any other factors to consider when calculating horsepower for model train control?

Yes, in addition to force, distance, and time, it is important to also consider the efficiency of the motor and power supply being used for the train. This can affect the overall horsepower needed for the train to reach a desired velocity.