Is the Moment of Inertia strictly different

In summary, the conversation discusses the moment of inertia for two bodies with masses distributed on a line and whether the moment of inertia is strictly different or can it be the same for two different bodies. The question also asks for a link to where the work is computed. There is also a clarification about the distribution of the masses being discrete and not continuous, and the derivation of total moment of inertia through integration. The conversation concludes with the confirmation that two mass distributions can have the same moment of inertia and a suggestion to look at the definition of MI.
deep838
I would like to know if there is any proof as to whether the moment of inertia for two bodies (the masses of each body are distributed on a line) about their respective center of masses, is strictly different. If not, can anyone provide me a link to where the work is computed.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your question is somewhat vague.

How is the mass of each body 'distributed on a line'? What does that mean?

I mean to say that the bodies are not 2 dimensional, they only have length.. Like a rope. Only the distribution is not continuous, it is made of a number of masses

deep838 said:
I mean to say that the bodies are not 2 dimensional, they only have length.. Like a rope. Only the distribution is not continuous, it is made of a number of masses
You derive the total moment of inertia by integrating (adding up) the moments of inertia, of these masses.

A.T. said:
You derive the total moment of inertia by integrating (adding up) the moments of inertia, of these masses.
Yes, but is that value strictly different for two different bodies? Or can two mass distribution have the same moment of inertia?

deep838 said:
Or can two mass distribution have the same moment of inertia?
Of course they can.

deep838 said:
Yes, but is that value strictly different for two different bodies? Or can two mass distribution have the same moment of inertia?

Have you actually looked at the definition of MI?

1. What is the Moment of Inertia?

The Moment of Inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It depends on the mass and distribution of the object's mass relative to its axis of rotation.

2. How is the Moment of Inertia calculated?

The Moment of Inertia is calculated by summing the products of each mass element in an object and its squared distance from the axis of rotation. This is represented by the formula I = ∑mr², where I is the Moment of Inertia, m is the mass, and r is the distance from the axis of rotation.

3. Is the Moment of Inertia different for every object?

Yes, the Moment of Inertia is different for every object as it depends on the mass and distribution of mass in the object. Objects with different shapes and sizes will have different Moments of Inertia even if they have the same mass.

4. Can the Moment of Inertia change?

Yes, the Moment of Inertia can change if there is a change in the distribution of mass in an object or if the axis of rotation is changed. This can affect the object's rotational motion and its resistance to changes in rotation.

5. Is the Moment of Inertia strictly different from other measures of inertia?

Yes, the Moment of Inertia is strictly different from other measures of inertia, such as linear inertia or angular inertia. It is a specific measure that applies to rotational motion and is not interchangeable with other measures of inertia.