Effects of Earth's rotataion on a simple experiment

In summary, the conversation discusses the question of whether a ball thrown upwards with sufficient velocity should land ahead of the observer due to the rotation of the Earth. It is determined that the ball's horizontal velocity increases as it goes higher, but its angular velocity remains constant. This is due to the conservation of energy and angular momentum. It is also noted that the ball's movement cannot be compared to that of a fixed rotating disk, as it is not attached to anything rotating. The concept of Coriolis force is briefly mentioned but not deemed necessary to understand the question.
Orodruin said:
Of course not, neither does anything else we have said. :)

There is a difference. We did not discuss the effects of the atmosphere, but we did not discuss the effects of imprecise aiming either. Saying that the latter will overwhelm the westward drift, without considering the former, as you did, seems rather strange to me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Of course, but it is the easier one to take into account. All I wanted to convey was that the rotational effect was minor. You could also just as well say that considering the rotational effect without considering atmospheric or aiming effects would seem pretty strange.

D H said:
It's almost eighteen hundred meters if the bullet is fired from the equator, not just a few hundred. (I get (1787 meters using an orbital calculation, 1762 meters using [itex]\frac 4 3 \frac {\Omega v^3}{g^2}[/itex] as an estimate.)

Yes, I probably forgot to divide by 2pi when computing the angular velocity ... But the point remains, I would even say the derivation using the conservation of angular momentum is easier as it allows me to get away with one integration less in the tangential direction than if just starting from the forces.