Are There Particles Smaller Than Quarks?

• Thread starter Ki Man
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the size and composition of quarks and electrons. While there is currently no known particle smaller than a quark, there is some debate about the size of electrons. Quarks and leptons are treated as pointlike in the Standard Model, and the conversation suggests that the topic should be discussed in the Particles section. The conversation ends with a question about the nature of quarks, which can be easily answered through a Google search.
Ki Man
i was just wondering if there's anything smaller than a quark because as far as i know up, down, anti-, etc. quarks make up the universe.

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you read this?

https://www.physicsforums.com/archive/t-27711_electron's_radius.html

Last edited by a moderator:
so electrons are smaller than quarks. i think. maybe i misread it

I believe the Standard Model currently treats both quarks and leptons as pointlike.

This should be moved to the Particles section.

What exactly is a quark??

What exactly is a quark??

An electron is a fundamental particle. There are no quarks associated. At least, that's my understanding.

1. What is the smallest known particle?

The smallest known particle is the quark, which makes up protons and neutrons. Quarks are estimated to be about 10^-18 meters in size.

2. Are there particles smaller than quarks?

No, quarks are currently believed to be the smallest particles in the universe. However, some theories suggest the existence of even smaller particles, such as preons.

3. Can we see particles smaller than atoms?

No, we cannot see particles smaller than atoms with our current technology. These particles are too small to be detected by light or even electron microscopes.

4. How do we know that particles smaller than atoms exist?

Scientists use various methods such as particle accelerators and mathematical models to study and understand the behavior of particles smaller than atoms.

5. Are particles smaller than atoms important?

Yes, particles smaller than atoms are essential for understanding the fundamental building blocks of matter and the laws of physics that govern our universe.