Change potential energy without doing work?

In summary, lifting an object from a lower position to a higher position requires work to be done and will result in an increase in potential energy. However, if the object is at a constant velocity while being lifted, no work is being done and the potential energy will remain unchanged. This is because the work formula involves kinetic energy, and if the kinetic energy is constant, the work done will be zero. Therefore, it is possible to change potential energy without doing any work in this scenario.
Willowhawk
Change potential energy without doing work?

I'm sure this is a very elementary question, however, this is just one thing that has been confusing me in my General Physics w/ Calculus 1 class...

They say, that if you are lifting a book at a constant velocity, no work is being done. This is because the acceleration going up, and gravity constant would have to be equal for the book to be moving at a constant velocity. This by itself i understand.

however.

later on in the course, we learned that Work=(delta kenetic energy)(force)..

and -(delta potential energy)=(delta kenetic energy)

also, by increasing the height of an object, you increase its potential energy.

SO.

as the book is rising, its gaining height...at this time its gaining potential energy... if its gaining potential energy, that also means that its kinetic energy is decreasing, which would change the numbers in the work formula...

how can one change potential energy without doing any work?

again: a person raising a book vertically at a constant velocity is doing no work, yet changing the books potential energy. Potential energy is inversely related to kinetic enerby. Kinetic energy is a major variable in the work formula, thus it would have to change the value of work. If the value of work is changing here, how come the person is doing no work?

maybe i haven't made a whole lot of sense typing it out, but it's confusing the hell out of me... if anyone can decipher what I've written here and come up with an explanation/clarification, i would very much appreciate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are doing work if you lift, say, a book from a low to a higher position (You pick it off the floor and put it on the table). You are exerting a force in the direction of motion (upwards), so the work done by you is positive and this work is equal to the change in potential energy of the object.
Before and after the deed the book is at rest. The book has gained potential energy, so the total energy has increased. That's okay, since this is not a closed system. You applied the external force by lifting the book. But if the book falls off the table, only gravity is acting on it, and it will do positive work on the book, increase its kinetic energy and decrease its potential energy according to energy conservation.

Last edited:

I can understand how this concept can be confusing. Let me try to explain it in a simpler way.

Potential energy is the energy an object has due to its position or configuration. In the case of lifting a book at a constant velocity, the book is not gaining any additional energy. Its potential energy is simply changing because of its position in relation to the Earth's gravitational field. This change in potential energy does not require any work to be done, as the book is not accelerating and its velocity is not changing.

On the other hand, when an object is lifted against the force of gravity, work is being done because the object is gaining energy due to the applied force. In this case, the potential energy of the object is increasing because work is being done to overcome the force of gravity.

In summary, changing potential energy without doing work is possible when the object is not accelerating and its position or configuration is simply changing in relation to a force field. This does not violate the work-energy theorem, as the object is not gaining any additional energy. I hope this explanation helps to clarify the concept for you.

1. How can potential energy be changed without doing work?

Potential energy can be changed without doing work by simply changing the height or position of an object. This is known as changing the gravitational potential energy of the object. For example, if a book is placed on a table, it has a certain amount of potential energy. If the same book is lifted to a higher shelf, its potential energy increases without any work being done.

2. Can potential energy be changed without any external force?

Yes, potential energy can be changed without any external force. This is known as internal potential energy, which is the energy stored within a system due to the position of its components. For example, the potential energy of a compressed spring is due to the internal forces between its coils, not an external force.

3. Is it possible to change potential energy without changing the mass of an object?

Yes, it is possible to change potential energy without changing the mass of an object. Potential energy is dependent on an object's position or configuration, not its mass. So, by changing an object's position or configuration, its potential energy can be changed without changing its mass.

4. Can potential energy be changed into other forms of energy without doing work?

No, potential energy cannot be changed into other forms of energy without doing work. This is because potential energy is a type of stored energy that can only be converted into other forms of energy through work being done. For example, a ball at the top of a hill has potential energy, but it can only be converted into kinetic energy when it rolls down the hill due to the work done by gravity.

5. How does changing potential energy without doing work affect the overall energy of a system?

If potential energy is changed without doing work, it does not affect the overall energy of a system. This is because potential energy is just one form of energy that is present in a system. The total energy of a system, known as its mechanical energy, remains constant unless work is done by an external force. Therefore, changing potential energy without doing work does not affect the total energy of a system.