Has anyone given gifts to professors?

• Thread starter tim_lou
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Professors
In summary: Math professors? In summary, most students give gifts to professors after getting letters of recommendation. Beer is usually the most popular gift, but other options include wine, chocolates, and other food items.
tim_lou
Do students usually give gifts to professors after the professor wrote a recommendations or helped the students out? If so what kind of gifts? for physics professors? and for math professors?

Physics news on Phys.org
Beer all the way man

Wait...you mean I was supposed to give my professors gifts after getting my letters of recommendation? Shoot, how much is applying to grad school going to cost me?

Well, I'd better head over to the liquor store.

I'm sure the best gift you could give a professor is to learn the subject well and pass with a good grade, anything else is meaningless, do you imagine he/she really cares if you gave him/her an apple in class: pay attention do your best; I'm sure decent professors appreciate results over gold, frankincense and Myrhh.:smile:

Last edited:
My advisor gets a Christmas card from me every year and I always send him a card and a present for his birthday. After years of working together we are more friends than mentor/mentee.

I agree with SD. Of course, you should thank the professors who agreed to be your referees, but IMHO there is no need to give gifts. I reckon the best gift you can give is to get your PhD and become a good scientist; that way they know it was worth the reference, and can say "I taught that kid!"

If you deserved a recommendation, then you needn't give anyone any gifts.

arunma said:
Wait...you mean I was supposed to give my professors gifts after getting my letters of recommendation? Shoot, how much is applying to grad school going to cost me?

Well, I'd better head over to the liquor store.
:rofl: :rofl: just lost a mouthful of dr. pepper

not me, not in Canada!

In the old country they do it.

I grace them with a new puzzle to decode every week in the form of my homework :D

cristo said:
I agree with SD. Of course, you should thank the professors who agreed to be your referees, but IMHO there is no need to give gifts. I reckon the best gift you can give is to get your PhD and become a good scientist; that way they know it was worth the reference, and can say "I taught that kid!"
Yeah, definitely. I know that my own research advisor likes to brag excessively about his former students.

i'm still in high school and my classmates are constantly getting new dry-erases pens for my teachers. maybe your professor will want something more elegant like... oh i don't know... a tablet pc? :rolleyes:

mathlete said:
I grace them with a new puzzle to decode every week in the form of my homework :D
Handwriting problem? :tongue:

J77 said:
Handwriting problem? :tongue:

hahah crab hands :approve:

FUNKER said:
Beer all the way man

My math adviser would love your idea :smile:

My professor in first-year German was the department head. He and a few other department heads at my college insisted on teaching the introductory courses. He had a good friend in the import business in NYC, and at the end of the year, well-motivated students were invited to his place for party, with more varieties and brands of German beer than you could shake a stick at, and lots of great German food, cheeses, etc. The trick was if you found a beer that was fabulous, you might have to search through hundreds of bottles to find another bottle of it. :tongue2: And yes, during the Vietnam war the drinking age was lowered to 18 because it was considered that if you were old enough to vote and old enough to get drafted in time of war, you probably were old enough to drink.

He was a nice guy and the only gift I gave him was to try to do my best.

Last edited:
Writing recommendation letters is something we consider part of our job. Just saying "thank-you" and sharing with us the good news when you get acceptances is all that's necessary. In fact, gifts might be perceived as bribery, so probably aren't such a good idea. Now, if you worked with someone more closely, for example, your senior thesis advisor, then a small gift of thanks at the end would be okay, but still not at all required or expected.

1. What are the appropriate occasions to give gifts to professors?

Gifts are usually given on special occasions such as birthdays, holidays, and when the professor is retiring or leaving the institution. It is also appropriate to give a gift after a significant achievement, such as publishing a paper or winning an award.

2. Is it necessary to give gifts to professors?

No, it is not necessary to give gifts to professors. It is a personal choice and gesture of appreciation. A simple thank you note or verbal expression of gratitude is also acceptable.

3. What types of gifts are appropriate for professors?

Gifts for professors should be thoughtful and appropriate. They can range from a small token of appreciation, such as a personalized pen or mug, to a more substantial gift such as a book related to the professor's field of study. It is important to avoid expensive or extravagant gifts as they may make the professor uncomfortable.

4. Are there any cultural considerations when giving gifts to professors?

Yes, it is important to consider cultural norms and customs when giving gifts to professors. In some cultures, it may be seen as inappropriate or even offensive to give gifts, while in others it may be expected. It is always best to research and respect the cultural norms of the individual before giving a gift.

5. Should gifts be given individually or as a group from students?

This depends on the relationship between the professor and the students. If the professor has a close relationship with a particular group of students, it may be more appropriate to give a gift from the group. Otherwise, it is best to give gifts individually, as group gifts can be impersonal and may make the professor uncomfortable.