Why angry women will not vote for McCain

• News
  • Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Women
In summary, much of what we've heard from angry voters in the last few days has been said in the heat of the moment. After the general election starts, especially after Obama contrasts himself with McCain, cooler heads will prevail.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I know that right now a lot of women are very angry and feel that the nomination has been stolen from Hillary. And many people are worried that Hillary supporters may not show up for Obama in November. But, I got to thinking about this and noted that the next President could appoint as many as 4 supreme court justices. Combine that with this little fact:

...[John McCain] "I have stated time after time after time that Roe v Wade was a bad decision, that I support a woman — the rights of the unborn — that I have fought for human rights and human dignity throughout my entire political career," McCain said. "To me, it's an issue of human rights and human dignity."

And while now former candidate Fred Thompson, the former senator from Tennessee, won the coveted endorsement from the National Right to Life Committee, McCain's voting record on the issue is just fine, says David O'Steen, the group's executive director.

"He's been very consistent; he hasn't changed his position," O'Steen says. He says that his group has supported McCain in every one of his senate races. "We've always considered him pro-life," he says.

Nancy Keenan, president of NARAL Pro-Choice America, says her group has always considered McCain pro-life as well. And it's not just abortion, she says.

"He voted against family planning, he voted against the freedom of access to clinic entrances — that was about violence against women in clinics," Keenan says, adding, "He voted against funding for teen pregnancy-prevention programs, and making sure that abstinence only was medically accurate. This is very, very extreme."[continued]
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=18632802

If feminists vote for this guy, then they really deserve what they get; or should I say, what their daughters get. Are women really angry enough to step back four decades?

[Not to mention that Hillary might be the VP... With her strong close in the primary season, it is reported that analysts are taking a hard look at the numbers.]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well said, Ivan. The women who are ticked off now MUST come around by November. And if they don't, they're idiots to play sour grapes with such an important issue. Do they think they're just going to take their ball and go home?!? Give me a break!

They are there just to say "count our votes", as in saying "Address our issues or else!"...But I don't think they'll vote for Mccain because any sane person knows that this means giving Bush an extension - or even worse -
Anyway, I think Hillary will make a great VP and Obama can still attract women's votes.

They should vote for Nader. He gets it on Roe v. Wade, and he didn't steal his nomination from a woman like Obama did.

Whistling in the dark, are we?

So, Jimmy tries to stoke the phoney fires, and chemistree is hoping beyond hope for the feminst vote.

No, it was actually just an undeniable observation of the facts.

At least our Egyptian friend understands the US. :biggrin:

The real concern is not that Hillary supporters will go out and vote for McCain (which would be mind-bogglingly stupid), but rather that they'll simply stay home on election day, which could undermine support for Obama in crucial swing states and so tip the election to McCain.

Clinton as VP would be a lightning-rod for Swift-Boat attacks on Travelgate, Whitewater, huge cattle-futures profits, Rose law-firm billing records, Vince Foster's suicide, Bill's serial infidelities, etc, etc. If the Dems want to win in the GE, they must keep her off the ticket at all costs. I think that Obama is smart enough to offer her an early nomination to the Supremes, so she can cement some kind of legacy, and to offer to help her fund-raise to retire her massive debt. She is too old to gain enough seniority in the Senate to claim plum posts. Regarding the debt - lots of it is owed to Mark Penn's company. He will not be shy about suing the Clintons if she does not pony up promptly.

turbo-1 said:
Clinton as VP.
Clinton supporters have made it clear they will not vote for Obama and Obama supporters have made it clear they won't vote for Clinton. An Obama-Clinton ticket will garner two votes tops.

jimmysnyder said:
Clinton supporters have made it clear they will not vote for Obama and Obama supporters have made it clear they won't vote for Clinton.

Much of what we've heard from angry voters in the last few days has been said in the heat of the moment. After the general election starts, especially after Obama contrasts himself with McCain, cooler heads will prevail.

Ivan Seeking said:
I know that right now a lot of women are very angry and feel that the nomination has been stolen from Hillary. And many people are worried that Hillary supporters may not show up for Obama in November.
During the rules committe hearing this weekend, many angry Hillary supporters near the back of the room left after the vote was announced. Some of them were yelling: "Let's go, McCain!"

I guess they haven't read the new book on McCain - The Real McCain, by Cliff Schecter. Here's a little excerpt:
Three reporters from Arizona, on the condition of anonymity, also let me in on another incident involving McCain's intemperateness. In his 1992 Senate bid, McCain was joined on the campaign trail by his wife, Cindy, as well as campaign aide Doug Cole and consultant Wes Gullett. At one point, Cindy playfully twirled McCain's hair and said, "You're getting a little thin up there." McCain's face reddened, and he responded, "At least I don't plaster on the makeup like a trollop, you c*nt." McCain's excuse was that it had been a long day.

(I think the McCain campaign has denied that incident, but I'm not certain.)

Or maybe they would like to be reminded about the http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/1998-06-18/news/flashes/ about Chelsea in a GOP fundraiser in 1998:
McCain said:
"Why is Chelsea Clinton so ugly? Because her father is Janet Reno."

Clinton just stated that she would accept the VP spot [if offered]. Presumably this is within the assumed context that she doesn't pull off a miracle today.

Ivan Seeking said:
Clinton just stated that she would accept the VP spot [if offered]. Presumably this is within the assumed context that she doesn't pull off a miracle today.
Obama would be an idiot to offer it, and his advisers know it.

David Gergen stated last night, "I have evolved on this issue", and the same is true for me. On one hand it undermines Obama's message of change, but Hillary, for all of her faults, has shown herself to be a highly viable and capable candidate. I still want to scream when she starts in on her Clinton-speak, but it is hard to deny the numbers. And it is hard to argue that a woman VP is not change. The fact that this has been a historic event in US political history is also undeniable, as is her role in all of this.

If it takes Hillary to keep McCain out, and more importantly, to get Obama in, then I'm all for it. And Obama is smart enough to know that this call has to be made by the numbers.

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:
If it takes Hillary to keep McCain out, I'm all for it. And Obama is smart enough to know that this call has to be made by the numbers.
The Reps are not going for McCain in huge numbers - they are mostly quite cool about him, and RL continues to denounce McCain. But a Clinton on the ticket may be all it needs to energize the Republican base to show up in numbers.

Gokul43201 said:
But a Clinton on the ticket may be all it needs to energize the Republican base to show up in numbers.

Yes, that has always been the concern.

In 1998, Chelsea was 18.

Gokul43201 said:
The Reps are not going for McCain in huge numbers - they are mostly quite cool about him, and RL continues to denounce McCain. But a Clinton on the ticket may be all it needs to energize the Republican base to show up in numbers.
That is a huge problem. The RNC is going to support McCain, but his popular support is really spongy. That will change if Obama puts Clinton on the ticket, though if Obama chooses Richardson or Sebelius, there will be some new dynamics amongst the Dems in and Indies (and moderate GOP voters) that will make his campaign unbeatable.

Not only is there Hillary's high negatives, but another good point made by Gergen was that you don't want to win the election and then spend four years in hell. Not only must the numbers support the vp choice, but there must be reasonable arrangements for the power structure in the White House. Hillary won't accept the job of a silent VP whose biggest challenge is to spell potato.

And then, what do you do with Bill? He has clearly lost his edge and can be dangerous.

Last edited:
What I heard this morning was that Obama intends to have a meeting with Clinton though no particulars on that meeting are set.
I really hope that he doesn't wuss out and accept her as his VP.

turbo-1 said:
Clinton as VP would be a lightning-rod for Swift-Boat attacks on Travelgate, Whitewater, huge cattle-futures profits, Rose law-firm billing records, Vince Foster's suicide, Bill's serial infidelities, etc, etc.
She certainly has a lot of baggage, which would be a reason to keep her off, but she also has some pretty rabid support, which would be a reason to put her on. I don't envy Obama in this decision.

lisab said:
Much of what we've heard from angry voters in the last few days has been said in the heat of the moment. After the general election starts, especially after Obama contrasts himself with McCain, cooler heads will prevail.
Yes, do you remember a few months ago when then right-wing commentators said they'd vote for a Democrat over McCain? Haven't heard any of them say that recently...

Ivan Seeking said:
I know that right now a lot of women are very angry and feel that the nomination has been stolen from Hillary. And many people are worried that Hillary supporters may not show up for Obama in November. But, I got to thinking about this and noted that the next President could appoint as many as 4 supreme court justices. Combine that with this little fact:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=18632802

If feminists vote for this guy, then they really deserve what they get; or should I say, what their daughters get. Are women really angry enough to step back four decades?

So abortion is somehow "enlightened"?

Wow...

There is certainly going to be an interesting shift in the dynamics over the next few weeks/months. The things that Obama/Clinton couldn't throw at each other McCain will start throwing at him (them?). What issues he goes after and how they go over will be an interesting question.

Personal opinions aside (as much as I can) and just thinking about electablility, I see the following electability problems, off the top of my head:

McCain:
-Not right wing enough for the right wing (probably a big problem, especially with money).
-Too old to get young votors
-Too white to get black votors
-Pro Life
-His wishy-washyness with the lobbyist issues
-Cheated on his wife while she was dying

Obama:
-Angry Black Man (could be a big problem with getting moderate white votors - the people he needs to get elected)
-Angry Black Wife (she'll need to keep her mouth shut if he is to have a prayer of getting elected)
-Muslim? (Shouldn't be a big issue since he isn't, but his family history is confusing enough it could cause some problems if exploited correctly)
-Age/Experience (probably not a big issue)
-Extremely liberal (could be a big issue with the moderates)

Hillary
-She's a little crazy (I've heard, even from democrats, that she comes off as kinda crazy: shill voice and wild eyes).
-Married to Bill Clinton (he's going to need to keep his mouth shut if she's to have any chance of getting elected)
-May or may not have opinions (if she does, she's not telling anyone. Sometimes that works, sometimes people get annoyed not knowing what you stand for)
-Just plain annoying (big issue)

Firefox123 said:
So abortion is somehow "enlightened"?

Wow...

I don't remember making any value judgements about abortion. But it does take us back through 40 years of woman fighting for the right to choose.

I was saying that feminists, and many other women - the women who are most angry about Hillary losing - will never stand for it when they learn more about McCain.

Ivan Seeking said:
I don't remember making any value judgements about abortion. But it does take us back through 40 years of woman fighting for the right to choose.

I was saying that feminists, and many other women - the women who are most angry about Hillary losing - will never stand for it when they learn more about McCain.

A rather interesting cross section of people supported Ron Paul and he's rather active in attempting to overturn Roe v Wade. Maybe if McCain follows Paul's example and dresses it up as a states' rights issue he could squeeze it by.

russ_watters said:
McCain:
-Not right wing enough for the right wing (probably a big problem, especially with money).
-Too old to get young votors
-Too white to get black votors
-Pro Life
-His wishy-washyness with the lobbyist issues
-Cheated on his wife while she was dying

Obama:
-Angry Black Man (could be a big problem with getting moderate white votors - the people he needs to get elected)
-Angry Black Wife (she'll need to keep her mouth shut if he is to have a prayer of getting elected)
-Muslim? (Shouldn't be a big issue since he isn't, but his family history is confusing enough it could cause some problems if exploited correctly)
-Age/Experience (probably not a big issue)
-Extremely liberal (could be a big issue with the moderates)
Russ, I find it curious that McCain's flaws are based on facts while most of Obama's are not.

Surely you don't think Obama is more angry than McCain? There's no doubt about which of those two has the bigger temper. As for the extremely liberal bit, that sounds like it needs more persistent debunking.

Gokul said:
http://www.progressivepunch.org/members.jsp?search=selectScore&chamber=Senate&scoreSort=current_congress [Broken]Ranking of Senators from most to least "progressive": play around with different areas of legislation to zoom in on fields of interest.

"Lifetime" Scores - going back until 1991 (all issues):

#1. Sheldon Whitehouse
#20. Hillary Clinton
#25. Barack Obama
#60. John McCain
#100. Jim DeMintVotes cast during 2007-2008 (all issues):

#1. Frank Lautenberg
#29. Hillary Clinton
#41. Barack Obama
#82. John McCain
#100. Jim DeMint

Note: Clinton and Obama appear to have swung towards the center lately, while McCain has swung a lot to the Right.

In any case, I think McCain's biggest problem may be that he's taking the far right stance on so many issues lately, he no longer looks anything like the maverick he used to be a decade ago. And it's taking a lot of lying, back and forth, to make himself look like two different creatures.

But we're getting somewhat offtopic now.

Incidentally, did anyone watch the speech McCain gave in Kenner, LA. If you managed to stay awake through the first few minutes, you would have had the opportunity to watch McCain whoring himself out to Clinton's base, hoping to capitalize on their anger with Obama.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's more evidence that "angry women" want to vote for McCain or abstain in the general election: http://blog.hillaryclinton.com/blog/main/2008/06/04/030945#view_comments [Broken]

Some excerpts:
I will not vote for obama and all these men that have betrayed us and again put the woman more qualified behind a man who has no right to be there seem to think we will vote for obama in a few months when things calm down they are sooooooooo wrong please let them know just how wrong they are I am voting Mcain no matter what unless Hillary is the independant

------

Maybe the best way to keep the vital truth of Democratic values alive is to replant the seeds of Democracy in the strong ground of INDEPENDENCE.

HILLARY as a VP. What a slap in the face!
NEVER!

HILLARY DENVER HILLARY DENVER
DENVER HILLARY DENVER HILLARY
HILLARY DENVER HILLARY DENVER
DENVER HILLARY DENVER HILLARY

------

Boy - I just donated money and breaking news that hillary will endorse Obama - I want a refund. I really thought she was in for the long run. I thought she may run independent. Why would she do this. Why would she let us down. My vote is for MCCAIN. I WILL NEVER VOTE FOR OBAMA.

------

OBAMA RELEASED A STATEMENT SAYING THE SQUABBLE IS OVER, NOW WE CAN UNIFY. HE JUST RELEASED THIS A FEW MINUTES AGO. THE NERVE OF HIM...

I WILL NOT UNIFY WITH HIM AT ALL, NEVER EVER WILL I VOTE FOR HIM...
The question is: what fraction of the Hillary support base, do these people represent?

Gokul43201 said:
The question is: what fraction of the Hillary support base, do these people represent?
4/18000000

She way needs to shut that site down. Is she looking to get kicked out of the party?

Last edited:
Gokul43201 said:
Russ, I find it curious that McCain's flaws are based on facts while most of Obama's are not.

That's a pretty biased opinion.

Too old..., Too white... Wishy washy... Not right wing enough...

Those are subjective calls, not facts.

Perhaps the only *fact* is the cheating on his wife part...

On the other hand, I believe Russ's use of parenthetical remarks qualified his statements about Obama sufficiently.

Why the bias in acceptance of *facts*?

So you are saying that McCain will get the young vote, the black vote, and the fundamentalist vote?

Gokul43201 said:
Here's more evidence that "angry women" want to vote for McCain or abstain in the general election: http://blog.hillaryclinton.com/blog/main/2008/06/04/030945#view_comments [Broken]

Some excerpts:

Sexist women. :rolleyes: Just wait until they learn more about McCain. Course some women are not only sexists, but also racists.

I didn't even know about him cheating on his dying wife. That will go over well.

So he cheated on his dying wife and publically humiliated a little girl. Nice guy!

I view Clinton as a business women out to make more wealth for her and her husband. I hope Obama doesn't choose her because it will make him look like they are in kahoots in their special interest plans to make dough. That is the one thing that I fear of Obama, is he really a selfless good doer, or is he in it for himself after fortune?

Gokul43201 said:
As for the extremely liberal bit, that sounds like it needs more persistent debunking.

Not debunked...

Obama scored a 95.5 out of 100 ranking of liberalness by the http://nj.nationaljournal.com/voteratings/" [Broken] which put him as the #1 liberal in the Senate. Hillary scored an 82.8 which placed her at #16 in the Senate.

Progressive is not equal to liberal...

seycyrus said:
That's a pretty biased opinion.

Too old..., Too white... Wishy washy... Not right wing enough...
I said they were based on facts - that he is pretty old and pretty white are facts. Whether the age or the whiteness is a serious enough factor is in the eye of the beholder.
Those are subjective calls, not facts.

Why the bias in acceptance of *facts*?
Ain't no bias.

Here is one spin that made me laugh the first time that I saw it.

<h2>1. Why do angry women refuse to vote for McCain?</h2><p>There could be a variety of reasons why angry women may choose not to vote for McCain. Some possible reasons could include disagreement with his policies, past statements or actions that have offended them, or a lack of trust in his leadership abilities.</p><h2>2. Is there a specific demographic of angry women who will not vote for McCain?</h2><p>It is difficult to generalize about a specific demographic of women who may not vote for McCain due to anger. Women from all backgrounds and political affiliations may choose not to support him for a variety of reasons.</p><h2>3. How does McCain's stance on women's issues play a role in why angry women won't vote for him?</h2><p>McCain's stance on women's issues may be a contributing factor to why some angry women may not vote for him. For example, his voting record on issues such as abortion rights and equal pay may not align with the beliefs and values of some women.</p><h2>4. Are there any steps McCain could take to win over angry women voters?</h2><p>It is ultimately up to each individual woman to decide if they will support McCain or not. However, some steps he could take to potentially win over angry women voters could include addressing their concerns and grievances, apologizing for any past actions or statements that may have caused offense, and actively working towards policies that align with their values and priorities.</p><h2>5. Are there any other factors besides anger that may influence women's voting decisions?</h2><p>Yes, there are many factors that may influence a woman's decision to vote for or against McCain. These could include political ideologies, personal experiences, economic concerns, and the candidate's overall platform and qualifications.</p>

1. Why do angry women refuse to vote for McCain?

There could be a variety of reasons why angry women may choose not to vote for McCain. Some possible reasons could include disagreement with his policies, past statements or actions that have offended them, or a lack of trust in his leadership abilities.

2. Is there a specific demographic of angry women who will not vote for McCain?

It is difficult to generalize about a specific demographic of women who may not vote for McCain due to anger. Women from all backgrounds and political affiliations may choose not to support him for a variety of reasons.

3. How does McCain's stance on women's issues play a role in why angry women won't vote for him?

McCain's stance on women's issues may be a contributing factor to why some angry women may not vote for him. For example, his voting record on issues such as abortion rights and equal pay may not align with the beliefs and values of some women.

4. Are there any steps McCain could take to win over angry women voters?

It is ultimately up to each individual woman to decide if they will support McCain or not. However, some steps he could take to potentially win over angry women voters could include addressing their concerns and grievances, apologizing for any past actions or statements that may have caused offense, and actively working towards policies that align with their values and priorities.

5. Are there any other factors besides anger that may influence women's voting decisions?

Yes, there are many factors that may influence a woman's decision to vote for or against McCain. These could include political ideologies, personal experiences, economic concerns, and the candidate's overall platform and qualifications.