Linear System Augmented Matrix: Unique, Infinite, or No Solution?

• Thread starter maherelharake
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrix
In summary, the problem asks for a Linear system with the given augmented matrix to determine whether there is a unique solution, infinitely many solutions, or no solution. The key thing is on row3 where the last row is a multiple of row2. This tells us that there is no solution because the equations in the third row are the same as the equations in the second row, and they can't be equal to two different values simultaneously.
maherelharake

Homework Statement

Determine, without performing any calculations, whether a linear system with the given augmented matrix has a unique solution, infinitely many solutions, or no solution. Justify your answer.

| 3 -2 0 1 | 1 |
| 1 2 -3 1 | -1|
| 2 4 -6 2 | 0 |

*Not sure how to input matrices into a computer, so sorry for the way I did it.

Homework Equations

3. I am not entirely sure how to begin this problem. Any suggestions will be helpful to get me started, and if I still need help I will ask. Please help. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The key thing is on row3.

Thanks for the response! I noticed before I posted my question that the final row had a constant equal to 0. I tried to mentally rearrange the matrix into row echelon form, but I didn't really get much further. I see that it has 4 variables. and 2 nonzero rows. Does that mean that there are 4-2=2 free variables. This is the part that I am getting confused on mostly. Thanks again.

Oh wait, there are 3 equation, and 4 variables. Do you think we have enough information
to solve this matrix?

I thought about that as well, but I didn't think that choice would be an option according to the directions. :(
Is it possible there is some sort of cancellation after rearranging them mentally? I tried but couldn't get it to work, but it's possible I made a careless error.

Oh, wait see this :
The original matrix :
[3 -2 0 1 1]
[1 2 -3 1 -1]
[2 4 -6 2 0]

realize that the last row is a multiple of row2. Let's scale the last row3 so we have :

[3 -2 0 1 1]
[1 2 -3 1 -1]
[1 2 -3 1 0]

Notice something there?

Does that mean there is no solution since those two equations are the same, and they can't be equal to two different values simultaneously?

The left part of the equation is the same, but the right is different. Hence, no solution?

well try to solve it out and see

I will give it a shot, but the problem doesn't want me to solve it out. I will try it anyways and repost when I give it my best attempt.

Its ok, the problem is trying to make you think hard, but I think once you thought about
the problem a little, you should then confirm it by solving the matrix.

When I try to solve it I come up with
[1 -2/3 0 1/3 1/3]
[0 0 0 0 -1]
[0 0 0 0 1]

that means that x1=x2=x3=x4=0, however using these values, it is not possible to attain both 1 and -1 simultaneously. Thus the answer is no solution.

Did I make a mistake along the way?

maherelharake said:
Does that mean there is no solution since those two equations are the same, and they can't be equal to two different values simultaneously?

Yes. [1 2 -3 1 -1] and [1 2 -3 1 0] and translating them into equations, they can't be true simultaneously. Why are we dragging this out?

In the last row you have this : [0 0 0 0 1] which means this in equation form,
0X1 + 0X2 + 0X3 + 0X4 = 1, which means 0 = 1. This is impossible mathematically, right?
Because a 0 cannot never equal 1, which means that the system is inconsistent, or no solution. So Yes you are correct as to your final conclusion.

Ok guys thanks a lot. I really appreciate it. I'm new to all of this stuff and I am still getting my feet under me. Thanks again.

tnutty said:
Oh, wait see this :
The original matrix :
[3 -2 0 1 1]
[1 2 -3 1 -1]
[2 4 -6 2 0]
This is the crucial point, and why you don't need to do any calculation. All numbers in the third row are two times the numbers in the second row except the last. That tells us there is NO solution. If all numbers in the third row had been a multiple of the second row (and first and second rows were independent) there would have been an infinite number of solutions.

realize that the last row is a multiple of row2. Let's scale the last row3 so we have :

[3 -2 0 1 1]
[1 2 -3 1 -1]
[1 2 -3 1 0]

Notice something there?

Thanks a lot. That clear explanation really helped out even more.

What is a linear system augmented matrix?

A linear system augmented matrix is a notation used to represent a system of linear equations in a compact and organized way. It consists of the coefficients of the variables on the left side of the vertical line and the constants on the right side of the vertical line.

When is a linear system augmented matrix said to have a unique solution?

A linear system augmented matrix has a unique solution when the system of equations has one and only one set of values for the variables that satisfies all the equations simultaneously. This means that the equations intersect at a single point, forming a unique solution.

What does it mean when a linear system augmented matrix has an infinite solution?

A linear system augmented matrix has an infinite solution when the system of equations has an infinite number of sets of values for the variables that satisfy all the equations simultaneously. This means that the equations are parallel or identical, resulting in an infinite number of solutions.

When does a linear system augmented matrix have no solution?

A linear system augmented matrix has no solution when the system of equations has no possible set of values for the variables that satisfy all the equations simultaneously. This means that the equations are inconsistent and do not intersect at any point, resulting in no solution.

How can you determine the solution of a linear system augmented matrix?

The solution of a linear system augmented matrix can be determined by using various methods such as Gaussian elimination, substitution, or graphing. By manipulating the augmented matrix or solving the equations algebraically, you can determine whether the system has a unique, infinite, or no solution.