Properties of integers:math induction

It was just a conjecture.In summary, the given four equations suggest a general formula of n^2 - 2(n-1) + ... + n^2 = (n-1)^3 + n^3, which is proven to be true for all four equations when n is substituted in. However, further proof by induction may be necessary to fully verify the conjecture.
VanKwisH

Homework Statement

consider the following four equations:
1) 1=1
2) 2 + 3 + 4 = 1 + 8
3) 5 + 6 + 7 + 8 + 9 = 8 + 27
4) 10 + 11 + 12 + 13 + 14 + 15 + 16 = 27 + 64

conjecture the general formula suggested by these four equations and prove
your conjecture

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the left side has n + (n+1) numbers,
and the right side has the last number occurring the in next equation,
i also see that the numbers on the right side come from an k^3 number.
but how would i write this in a general formula which would be sufficient to
satisfy all the equations? because to me it seems like a recursive definition but
i don't quite clearly understand how i would write out an answer for this...
and also what exactly am i supposed to write down to solve this??

Physics news on Phys.org
Notice also that the last number in the sum on the left is always a square, say, n2 and the last number on the right is n3. Use that as your base.
It looks to me like the first number on the left is (n-1)2+ 1 so the sum on the left is from (n-1)2+ 1 to n2.

so on the left side... could i use sigma notation to verify the range and the addition of the numbers?? and on the right side ... i can see that it's just like
1^3,
1^3 + 2^3 ,
2^3 + 3^3
3^3 + 4^3
how would i show this in terms of just using n ?
n + (n)^3 ?

the problem with this is that it will only apply to one specific instant of the equation,
or am i wrong??

On both left and right side you are going to have to specify what "n" is!

I guess the conjecture is
n^2 - 2 (n - 1) +...+ n^2 = (n-1)^3 + n^3
and it holds by trivial processing of the two sides

bmannaa said:
I guess the conjecture is
n^2 - 2 (n - 1) +...+ n^2 = (n-1)^3 + n^3
Does your guess work for the given equations?
bmannaa said:
and it holds by trivial processing of the two sides
There's a lot more to this than "trivial processing." Note the title of the thread.

Mark44 said:
Does your guess work for the given equations?
Yes it does
in the formula n^2 - 2 (n - 1) +...+ n^2 = (n-1)^3 + n^3
1) 1=1
put n = 1
2) 2 + 3 + 4 = 1 + 8
put n = 2
3) 5 + 6 + 7 + 8 + 9 = 8 + 27
put n = 3
4) 10 + 11 + 12 + 13 + 14 + 15 + 16 = 27 + 64
put n = 4
Mark44 said:
There's a lot more to this than "trivial processing." Note the title of the thread.
Yep! I didn't get to prove it by induction.

What are the properties of integers?

The properties of integers are the mathematical rules and characteristics that apply to all whole numbers, including both positive and negative numbers. These properties include commutative, associative, and distributive properties, as well as the properties of zero and one.

What is mathematical induction?

Mathematical induction is a proof technique used to prove statements about all natural numbers. It involves proving that a statement is true for the first natural number, and then using that to prove the statement is true for the next natural number, and so on until the statement is proven true for all natural numbers.

How is mathematical induction used to prove properties of integers?

Mathematical induction can be used to prove properties of integers by showing that a statement is true for the first integer, and then using that to prove it is true for the next integer, and so on. For example, to prove that the sum of two even integers is even, we can use induction to show that the statement is true for the first even integer, and then use that to prove it is true for the next even integer.

What is the difference between strong and weak induction?

Strong induction is a more powerful version of mathematical induction, where instead of only using the previous natural number to prove the statement for the next natural number, we use all previous natural numbers. Weak induction, on the other hand, only uses the previous natural number to prove the statement for the next natural number.

Can mathematical induction be used to prove all properties of integers?

No, mathematical induction can only be used to prove statements about all natural numbers. It cannot be used to prove properties of integers that involve irrational numbers, decimals, or fractions. In these cases, different proof techniques must be used.