Integrating Factor, how do you get this?

In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving the dropping of a variable mu, which the person does not understand. However, it is clarified that mu was not actually dropped, but rather solved for in the first picture. The process of solving for mu is explained and it is suggested that it should be easy to remember for someone familiar with Calculus. The question is then raised about the linearity of mu(x).
flyingpig

Homework Statement

My book shows that

[PLAIN]http://img845.imageshack.us/img845/4875/unleduot.jpg

and then they arrived at the results

[PLAIN]http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/5442/unleddq.jpg

So my problem is that, how exactly did they drop the mu in the first picture?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand your question. I can see nowhere that the "dropped" the mu. In the "first picture", they wound up solving for mu.

[PLAIN]http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/2056/unledid.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
As I said, they didn't "drop" mu, they solved for it!
If
[tex]\frac{du}{dx}= F(x)u[/tex]
then
[tex]\frac{du}{u}= F(x)dx[/tex]
and, integrating both sides,
[tex]ln(u)= \int F(x)dx[/tex]

Now take the exponential of both sides.

Ohhh okay that wasn't clear to me at first. Is there any good way to memorize it? It takes too long to derive it lol

The fact that
[tex]\frac{dy}{dt}= f(x)g(y)[/tex]
gives
[tex]\frac{dy}{g(y)}= f(x)dx[/tex]
should be immediate from Calculus.

How do know that mu(x) is linear?

1. What is an integrating factor?

An integrating factor is a mathematical function used to solve certain types of differential equations. It is multiplied to both sides of the equation in order to make it easier to solve.

2. How do you determine the integrating factor?

The integrating factor for a given differential equation can be determined by finding the solution to an auxiliary equation, which is derived from the original equation. The solution to the auxiliary equation is then used to calculate the integrating factor.

3. What types of differential equations require an integrating factor?

Differential equations that are not exact or can't be solved by separation of variables often require an integrating factor. These include equations with coefficients that are not constant or equations that are not homogeneous.

4. What is the purpose of using an integrating factor?

The purpose of using an integrating factor is to transform a differential equation into a more manageable form, making it easier to solve. It essentially helps to "integrate" the equation in order to find its solution.

5. Are there any limitations to using an integrating factor?

Integrating factors can only be used for certain types of differential equations and may not work for all cases. Additionally, finding the integrating factor can sometimes be a challenging and time-consuming process.