∫dx/((x^(2/3)(x+1)), integrated over [0,∞]

• Thread starter Jamin2112
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around finding a contour C for the integral involving the residue theorem. The presence of z2/3 indicates a fractional power and the effect of this is discussed. The conversation also touches on avoiding branch cuts and points, and the method of contour integration. The suggestion is made to use a keyhole contour and break it into four pieces to evaluate the line integral for each piece. The use of a backwards Pacman-like path is also mentioned.
Jamin2112

Homework Statement

As in thread title.

Homework Equations

Residue Theorem.

The Attempt at a Solution

I just need help figuring out the circle C I'll be using. Suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
What does the presence of z2/3 tell you?

vela said:
What does the presence of z2/3 tell you?

Other than that there's a pole at z=0?

Yes, other than that. In particular, what's the effect of the fractional power?

vela said:
Yes, other than that. In particular, what's the effect of the fractional power?

Change the distance between z and the origin from r to r2/3
Change the angle between z and the x-axis from ø to 2ø/3

Right. Do you know what a branch point and a branch cut are?

vela said:
Right. Do you know what a branch point and a branch cut are?

Yeah, I somehow need a loop that avoid z=-1 and z=0. Right?

It's more that you want to avoid crossing the branch cut than avoiding z=0, and you obviously want a piece or pieces of the contour to correspond to the original integral.

vela said:
It's more that you want to avoid crossing the branch cut than avoiding z=0, and you obviously want a piece or pieces of the contour to correspond to the original integral.

So I'd take R>1 and make a half circle of radius R in the upper half of the plane. Then I'd make two little half circles that jump over z=-1 and z=0. Then I'd look at ∫C f(z)dz as the sum of several integrals, one of which can written as a real-valued integral and see what happens as R→∞ and the radii of the little half circles go to zero. Right?

Doesn't the answer to that question depend on which way Pacman is moving?

vela said:
Doesn't the answer to that question depend on which way Pacman is moving?

I forgot that PacMan is in perpetual motion.

But yeah, how am I going to do this? I need C to be formed from a series of paths, each of which will have a line integral that approaches a real value after I take some limit.

Start by taking the keyhole contour and break it into four pieces and evaluate the line integral for each piece.

vela said:
Start by taking the keyhole contour and break it into four pieces and evaluate the line integral for each piece.

How would that work? I want ∫f(x)dx (integrated on [0, R]) to be one of the four line integrals.

That's what you're supposed to figure out. :smile: Did you understand the example on Wikipedia? That's pretty much the recipe you want to follow.

What is the meaning of the integral ∫dx/((x^(2/3)(x+1)) over [0,∞]?

The integral ∫dx/((x^(2/3)(x+1)) over [0,∞] represents the area under the curve of the function 1/((x^(2/3)(x+1)) on the interval [0,∞]. It is a measure of the total amount of space between the curve and the x-axis.

What is the process for evaluating this integral?

The process for evaluating this integral involves using integration techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or partial fractions. The specific technique used depends on the complexity of the function 1/((x^(2/3)(x+1)) and the comfort level of the scientist with various integration methods.

What is the significance of the interval [0,∞] in this integral?

The interval [0,∞] indicates the range of values over which the function 1/((x^(2/3)(x+1)) is being integrated. In this case, the integral is being evaluated from 0 to infinity, meaning that the area under the curve is being measured for all values of x greater than or equal to 0.

Can this integral be solved analytically?

Yes, this integral can be solved analytically using integration techniques. However, it may require multiple steps and may not have a closed form solution.

What are the applications of this integral in science?

This integral can be used in various fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and economics, to calculate the total amount of a quantity or to determine the average value of a function. It can also be used to solve differential equations and to model real-world phenomena.