Inverse laplace transform for unique diffusion type problem

In summary, the Laplace transform of the inverse Laplace transform of (1/(s-A))*exp(-C*sqrt(s)) may be found in tables, but there is a difficulty in computing it due to the complexity of A.
Groundwater
Hi all

I have been working on some unique solutions to advection-diffusion type problems.

One inverse Laplace transform that I seem to continue to encounter is the following:

Inverse Laplace[F(s)] where F(s)=[(1/(((s-α)^2)+β)*exp(-x*sqrt(s/D))]

In their classic 1959 text, Carslaw and Jaeger gave an inverse solution to F(s) for the case when β=0. It is an erfc based solution (as the exp(-x*sqrt(s/D)) would indicate).

If anyone has seen anything like this, please let me know. I have checked the following:

1. The Laplace Transform by Widder
2. Laplace Transforms and Applications by Watson
3. CRC Handbook of Tables for Mathematics, 4th edition
4. Table of Laplace Transforms by Roberts and Kaufman
5. Conduction of Heat in Solids by Carslaw and Jaeger
6. Analytical Solution to the one-dimensional advective-dispersive solute transport equation by van Genuchten and Alves
7...and a pile of elementary PDE Books

It may have to go back to first principles on this one..

Physics news on Phys.org
The most difficult part if you try to do the inverse transform with integration in the complex plane will be this integral along the branch cut

[tex] \int_0^{\infty } \frac{e^{-t \rho } \left(e^{-i x \sqrt{\frac{\rho }{d}}}-e^{i x \sqrt{\frac{\rho }{d}}}\right)}{\beta +(-\alpha -\rho )^2} \, d\rho[/tex]

Maybe you can find that in a table somewhere. I couldn't even find/figure out the case where [itex]\beta = 0[/itex]. If you can't find the one with non-zero beta, but perhaps can find

[tex] \int_0^{\infty } \frac{e^{-t \rho } \left(e^{-i x \sqrt{\frac{\rho }{d}}}-e^{i x \sqrt{\frac{\rho }{d}}}\right)}{(-\alpha -\rho )^4} \, d\rho[/tex]

Then if beta is small maybe you could expand as a series in beta?

Thanks...I think I am a bit out of my league here. I once took an introductory course in ODE that introduced me to Laplace transforms. I have slowly figured out how to apply the technique in the solution of PDE. However, at my level, I am doing well if I can solve a solution using tabulated inverse Laplace transforms.

I did try to solve the inverse Laplace, but I am sure that I didn't even get as far as you. I may have to adjust my boundary condition.

Hi !

May be, you could try this :
Split the function into two terms, thanks to
1/(((s-α)^2)+B²) = c/(s-a -i B) - c/(s-a +i B)
c = 1/(2 i B)
The inverse Laplace of (1/(s-A))*exp(-C*sqrt(s)) can be found in tables.
But, there is a major difficulty, since A is complex : A=-a-i B or A=-a+i B
The formal result will involves Erfc functions in the complex range. The theoretical proof of validity should be rather ardous. Instead of doing it directly, I suggest to compute the Laplace transform of the result and check if it is consistent with the initial function F(s)

I suppose that beta>0 , so beta=B². If beta<0, then beta=-B² and there is no difficulty since A=-a-B or A=-a+B which are reals.

Last edited:

I find your work on unique solutions to advection-diffusion type problems very interesting. The inverse Laplace transform you have encountered is certainly a challenging problem, and I commend your thorough research in trying to find a solution. It seems that you have exhausted many potential resources, and it may indeed require a return to first principles to find a solution. Have you considered reaching out to other experts or colleagues in the field for their input and insights? Collaboration and discussion with others may lead to new ideas and approaches for solving this problem. I wish you the best of luck in your continued efforts to find a solution.

1. What is the inverse Laplace transform for unique diffusion type problem?

The inverse Laplace transform for unique diffusion type problem is a mathematical operation that allows one to reverse the Laplace transform and obtain the original function in the time domain. It is commonly used in the field of mathematics and engineering to solve differential equations.

2. What is the purpose of using the inverse Laplace transform for unique diffusion type problem?

The purpose of using the inverse Laplace transform for unique diffusion type problem is to transform a function from the frequency domain to the time domain. This allows for the analysis and solution of problems involving diffusion processes, such as heat transfer, in the time domain.

3. What are some common applications of the inverse Laplace transform for unique diffusion type problem?

The inverse Laplace transform for unique diffusion type problem has a wide range of applications in various fields, including physics, chemistry, engineering, and economics. It is commonly used to solve problems related to heat transfer, mass transfer, and diffusion of gases and liquids.

4. What are the main techniques used to solve inverse Laplace transform for unique diffusion type problem?

The main techniques used to solve inverse Laplace transform for unique diffusion type problem include partial fraction decomposition, contour integration, and the use of tables and properties of Laplace transforms. These techniques can be applied to solve specific types of problems and obtain the inverse transform in closed-form solutions.

5. Are there any limitations to using the inverse Laplace transform for unique diffusion type problem?

While the inverse Laplace transform is a powerful tool for solving diffusion type problems, it does have some limitations. It may not always be possible to obtain the inverse transform in closed form, and numerical methods may be needed. Additionally, the inverse transform may not exist for certain functions or may be difficult to calculate for complex functions.