Someone me with these symbols?

• Thread starter c0nfused34235
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Symbols
In summary, the variables in the red box are the final velocities of the objects after the collision. The sum of the x-components of momentum of the system before and after the bodies collide remains constant.
c0nfused34235

Homework Statement

I'm doing an impact physics for engineering question and I cannot tell the difference between

(v_A)_2x & (v_(Ax))_2.

* I don't think I'll need help with solving the actual question if I understand these variables.

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that v_A is object A's initial velocity, however, I don't know how to deal with the _2x. As for the second term above, I have no idea...

Physics news on Phys.org
c0nfused34235 said:

Homework Statement

I'm doing an impact physics for engineering question and I cannot tell the difference between

(v_A)_2x & (v_(Ax))_2.

* I don't think I'll need help with solving the actual question if I understand these variables.

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that v_A is object A's initial velocity, however, I don't know how to deal with the _2x. As for the second term above, I have no idea...

Welcome to the PF.

Can you post a picture or scan of the use of those symbols?

welcome to pf!

hi c0nfused34235! welcome to pf! :smile:

(try using the X2 button just above the Reply box :wink:)

you mean (vA)2x & (vAx)2 ?

what is the context? :confused:

Hi guys, thanks for the warm welcome and quick replies. Here's the question and it's solution. I was trying to figure it out (how they solve it) and I could not understand how they found the 2 variables in the red box (see image attached below). Thanks again.

Attachments

• physics question.jpg
    physics question.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 457
(v_A)2 is the final velocity of body A, i.e., its velocity after the collision

(v_A)_2x is the x-component of body A's final velocity after collision

(v_(Ax))_2 is the after collision value of A's x-component of velocity

The sum of the x-components of momentum of the system before and after the bodies collide remains constant. The same goes for the y-components of momentum.

hi c0nfused34235! :smile:
c0nfused34235 said:
… I could not understand how they found the 2 variables in the red box (see image attached below).

(vA)2x and (vAx)2 are the same

(i've no idea why they've done that :redface:)

so they just add (vA)2x + (vB)2x to (vA)2x - (vB)2x to get 2(vA)2x

(and subtract to get 2(vB)2x) :wink:

Could someone please solve for one of them (with steps)? I still don't understand how they solve for those variables. If they are indeed identical, why can't I substitute one set into the other formula? I get completely incorrect values.

Last edited:
YES I GOT IT!

Thanks for your help guys!

What do these symbols mean?

The symbols likely represent numbers, letters, or other characters with specific meanings. It is important to know the context in which they are being used in order to understand their meaning.

Can you help me decipher these symbols?

Yes, as a scientist, I have experience with various symbols and their meanings. I would be happy to assist you in deciphering these symbols.

What is the purpose of these symbols?

The purpose of symbols can vary depending on the context in which they are used. They can be used to represent information, convey meaning, or even serve as a form of communication.

How do I use these symbols in my work?

The use of symbols can be specific to a particular field or industry. It is important to consult with experts or resources in your field to understand the proper usage of these symbols in your work.

Where can I find more information about these symbols?

There are various resources available online or in print that can provide information about specific symbols and their meanings. You may also consult with experts in your field for more information.