Light from very distant objects

• Thread starter seandarcher
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Light
In summary: That's because the light that comes from galaxies is so faint that it's not detectable by our eyes. Third, when you look at pictures of galaxies, you'll see that they are usually not all the same color. That's because the light from galaxies is spread out over such a large area, and it reflects off of different things in different ways. And finally, the vastness of space is something that we can only really understand by looking at pictures.
seandarcher
Hi

I was just wondering, my understanding is that quasars are the most distant objects from us or are at least very distant. Now my question would be;

How is visible light able to reach us from such distant objects?

Wouldn't there be a lot of matter between us and the quasar, wouldn't visible light get absorbed by all that matter before it got to us?

Regards

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Not really. Intergalactic space is probably the closest thing to a perfect vacuum as you can get. As long as our line of sight to the quasar isn't through another galaxy then it's pretty much a clear shot.

There is dust and gas inside our own galaxy that might absorb absorb a little bit, but this depends on if we are looking up or down out of the disk, or through the disk itself. Looking through the disk and especially through the coreward parts of our galaxy will put lots of dust in our LOS.

So, while some of the light is most certainly absorbed, as long as we have a decent line of sight to it almost all of it gets through.

Thanks for the reply,

I'm aware that the obviousness of us being able to see quasars sort of negates my question. But I just find it difficult to comprehend the vastness of intergalactic space, especially when I look at pics where they are teaming with hundreds(thousands) of galaxies (and that's only a small portion of the sky). I'm assuming it would be the same no matter what direction the lens is facing. So the chances of a clear LOS to a very distant object seems small to me.

A cc of air [which is pretty easy to see through] contains about 10^19 atoms. This is about the same number of atoms in 33 light years of the interstellar medium and 3 million light years of the intergalactic medium. The density of the ISM is about 1 atom per cc and the density of the IGM is about 1 atom per 100,000 cc.

seandarcher said:
Wouldn't there be a lot of matter between us and the quasar, wouldn't visible light get absorbed by all that matter before it got to us?

There's not that much matter between us and quasars, and a lot of that matter is ionized into free protons and electrons that doesn't absorb that much light.

However, there is enough of it so that you do see a absorption.

The magic google terms are "Lyman-alpha forest" and "Gunn-Peterson trough"

seandarcher said:
But I just find it difficult to comprehend the vastness of intergalactic space

There are a number of techniques for making large numbers comprehensible. One is to focus on the exponent.

A quasar is 10 billion light years away. One light year is 10^15 centimeters.

So the number of centimeters to a quasar is 10^25. If you think "25" then that's a number that's comprehensible. You can then count the number of atoms that are between you and the quasar, and it's not a big number.

The important thing in astronomy is to think about numbers that you can comprehend.

Especially when I look at pics where they are teaming with hundreds(thousands) of galaxies (and that's only a small portion of the sky).

First of all, galaxies tend to cluster so those pictures are usually of clusters. Second, you'll notice that most of the picture is black space.

What is light from very distant objects?

Light from very distant objects refers to electromagnetic radiation that is emitted from objects located at a significant distance from Earth. This light can include visible light, as well as other forms of electromagnetic radiation such as radio waves, infrared radiation, ultraviolet radiation, and X-rays.

How does light from very distant objects travel to Earth?

Light from very distant objects travels to Earth through the vacuum of space at the speed of light, which is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second. This means that the light we see from these objects may have taken millions or even billions of years to reach us.

Why is light from very distant objects important to study?

Studying light from very distant objects allows scientists to gain insight into the history and evolution of the universe. By analyzing the composition and properties of this light, scientists can learn about the formation of galaxies, the expansion of the universe, and other important cosmic phenomena.

How is light from very distant objects detected?

Light from very distant objects is detected using powerful telescopes and other instruments designed to capture and analyze different forms of electromagnetic radiation. These instruments can detect and record even the faintest traces of light from extremely distant objects.

What can we learn from the colors of light from very distant objects?

The colors of light from very distant objects can reveal valuable information about the object's chemical composition and temperature. For example, a reddish color may indicate that the object is moving away from us, while a bluish color may indicate that it is moving towards us. By analyzing the colors of light, scientists can also determine the age and distance of these objects.