Proof regarding fractions

In summary, the conversation discusses an inequality problem involving rational fractions and their sums. The goal is to prove that the new rational expression formed by adding the fractions is always between the initial fractions. Various approaches are suggested, including using basic inequalities and reversing calculations. The conversation concludes with the suggestion to seek further help from a mathematician if needed.
captainquarks
Not sure if this is the correct place to put this question, but here it goes (sorry about the vague title, but not sure how to describe it):

We are asked to consider two rational fractoins, for example:

a/b & x/y

We are now asked to do the following:

(a + x)/(b + y)

Now, we are told that this new, rational expression lies in the range between our initial rational fractionss..

We are asked to prove that this is generally true, with our constants as integers of course:

e.g. 7/3, 9/2 => (7+9)/(3+2) = 16/5, which is between the originals.

I started by doing basic inequalities

x/y < (a + x)/(b + y) < a/b

I split these up:

x/y < (a + x)/(b + y)
x(b + y) < y(a + x)
bx + xy < ay + yx
bx < ay

#

(a + x)/(b + y) < a/b
b(a + x) < a(b + y)
ba + bx < ab + ay
bx < ay

I have no idea (or havn't found that spark yet) as to how, or where to solve this problem, which is very frustrating indeed. Does anyone have any insight into what I'm doing? Input would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
captainquarks said:
Not sure if this is the correct place to put this question, but here it goes (sorry about the vague title, but not sure how to describe it):

We are asked to consider two rational fractoins, for example:

a/b & x/y

We are now asked to do the following:

(a + x)/(b + y)

Now, we are told that this new, rational expression lies in the range between our initial rational fractionss..

We are asked to prove that this is generally true, with our constants as integers of course:

e.g. 7/3, 9/2 => (7+9)/(3+2) = 16/5, which is between the originals.

I started by doing basic inequalities

x/y < (a + x)/(b + y) < a/b

I split these up:

x/y < (a + x)/(b + y)
x(b + y) < y(a + x)
bx + xy < ay + yx
bx < ay

#

(a + x)/(b + y) < a/b
b(a + x) < a(b + y)
ba + bx < ab + ay
bx < ay

I have no idea (or havn't found that spark yet) as to how, or where to solve this problem, which is very frustrating indeed. Does anyone have any insight into what I'm doing? Input would be greatly appreciated.

Shouldn't the condition "positive integers" be added? For example, we have [tex]\frac{1}{-4}<\frac{3}{2}\,\,\,but\,\,\, \frac{3+1}{-4+2}=-2<\frac{1}{-4}...[/tex].
Now, if all the numbers are natural ones (no zero included), then we have [tex]\frac{x}{y}<\frac{a}{b}\Longrightarrow \frac{x+a}{y+b}<\frac{a}{b}\Longleftrightarrow bx+ab<ay+ab\Longleftrightarrow bx<ay[/tex] and this last inequality is the very same we started with.

Something similar can be done to show the other side's inequality

DonAntonio

bx < ay implies x/y < a/b (assuming all integers involved are positive).

So start with assuming x/y < a/b and work your derivations in reverse order.

Last edited:
Thanks DonAntonio and mathman for your replies and help. I think I get where you're coming from, but I'm not the best Mathematician in the world (Below 1st year university level Id say)...

A little more explanation/algebra would be great...

I was thinking, that, if I got my inequalities as i did, then if i work back, i obviously get the same inequality, does the answer lie in the crux on this? I just can't seem to express myself mathematically as well as others

Does anyone else have any ideas? I just can't seem to get my head around it =(

You wrote

x/y < (a + x)/(b + y)
x(b + y) < y(a + x)
bx + xy < ay + yx
bx < ay

Now the key to these calculations is that they are all reversible - i.e. not only can you go from bx + xy < ay + yx to bx < ay, but from bx < ay you can get bx + xy < ay + yx

Now we have a,b,x,y with x/y < a/b. So from here we can derive that bx<ay. Now we take all the calculations you do and reverse them
bx<ay
bx + xy < ay + yx
x(b + y) < y(a + x)
x/y < (a + x)/(b + y)

And this is a proof that if x/y < a/b, then x/y<(a+x)/(b+y)

captainquarks said:
Does anyone else have any ideas? I just can't seem to get my head around it =(

More ideas?! You've already been shown by at least two different people the very solution to your problem. If you still

don't get it then either you don't know the basic properties and operations with fractions yet, and then you need to

read about this in some basci H.S. algebra book, or else something's definitely beyond your understanding capabilities right now (and

this happens to us all at some point, don't overworry) and thus you need to approach somebody (preferable mathematician) who

explain you this stuff personally. After you get it you'll laugh at how easy it is...just as most of us had at some point.

DonAntonio

I do get it now, i was just expecting it to be more rigorous that's all, as the other stuff I've been looking at is induction etc, i was expecting something along the same lines, that's all. I can do induction reasonably well etc. however, thanks for your time =)

What is a fraction?

A fraction is a number that represents a part of a whole. It consists of a numerator (the top number) and a denominator (the bottom number) separated by a line. For example, in the fraction 3/4, 3 is the numerator and 4 is the denominator.

How do you simplify a fraction?

To simplify a fraction, you need to find the greatest common factor (GCF) of the numerator and denominator and divide both by that number. The GCF is the largest number that divides evenly into both numbers. For example, the GCF of 6 and 12 is 6, so the fraction 6/12 can be simplified to 1/2.

What is the difference between a proper fraction and an improper fraction?

A proper fraction is a fraction where the numerator is smaller than the denominator, meaning it represents a value less than 1. An improper fraction is a fraction where the numerator is equal to or greater than the denominator, meaning it represents a value equal to or greater than 1.

How do you add and subtract fractions?

To add or subtract fractions, the denominators must be the same. If they are not, you need to find a common denominator by finding the least common multiple (LCM) of the two denominators. Then, you can add or subtract the numerators and keep the common denominator. For example, to add 1/4 and 1/8, the LCM of 4 and 8 is 8, so you can rewrite 1/4 as 2/8 and then add 2/8 and 1/8 to get 3/8.

How do you multiply and divide fractions?

To multiply fractions, multiply the numerators together and the denominators together. To divide fractions, invert the second fraction (flip the numerator and denominator) and then multiply them. For example, to multiply 3/4 and 2/5, you would get (3*2)/(4*5) = 6/20 = 3/10. To divide 3/4 by 2/5, you would get (3/4) * (5/2) = (3*5)/(4*2) = 15/8.