Register to reply

Spectrophotometric Reference for Inorganics?

Share this thread:
mishima
Apr15-14, 08:42 AM
P: 303
I am looking for absorbance spectra and extinction coefficients (molar absorptivities) for common inorganic substances like potassium and sodium salts. I am only finding this information for biological substances.

Am I misinterpreting what the spectrophotometer can do? I would like to, for example, use Beer's Law to calculate concentration of a salt in solution after measuring absorbance with a known extinction coefficient.
Phys.Org News Partner Chemistry news on Phys.org
Mineral magic? Common mineral capable of making and breaking bonds
Seeing is bead-lieving: Scientists create model 'bead-spring' chains with tunable properties
New molecule puts scientists a step closer to understanding hydrogen storage
Borek
Apr15-14, 08:49 AM
Admin
P: 23,385
Visible?

Does the NaCl solution look colored?

Infrared? UV?
mishima
Apr15-14, 10:34 AM
P: 303
I mean salts in general, like potassium permanganate or copper (II) nitrate. I am unaware if sodium chloride can be used with a spectrophotometer; I was under the impression that some could not.

would like an absorbance spectrum (absorbance vs. wavelength), so all wavelengths. I would have thought this information would be tabulated somewhere, like a chemical handbook, but I am not finding it.

Yanick
Apr15-14, 02:11 PM
P: 380
Spectrophotometric Reference for Inorganics?

You can try here: http://webbook.nist.gov/chemistry/

Failing that you should just try to find the original research. It will likely be old which makes it (kind of) easier to find them for free.

Register to reply